JonnyVW

Dbp 1993 vr6 -

Hey guys,

This thread I’m starting is well overdue, lots will be missing as I never took many pictures of the progress made. I bought my 1993 OBD1 Dark Burgundy Pearl VR back in Nov 2009. Picked it up for £2200 and the only mod it had was a beautiful sounding; but very restrictive aftermarket exhaust, I think it was a powerflow. I had 2 massive folders of recepits and I was the 4th owner.

One of the reasons I bought this particular car was that it had a recon VEGE engine...The chasis had 132K and the VEGE engine was put in at 100K. From the huge amount of history and receipts the car seemed very honest.

The first thing I did was spend a small fortune buying loads of new sensors like Lambda, water temp, MAF, also new wishbones, track rod ends, also a set of AP coilovers. I also sprayed the rear lights red.

This is how she looked after the first few weeks.

Edited by JonnyVW

Looks gorgeous mate

Cheers mate!! =)

---------- Post added 20th August 2011 at 12:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 19th August 2011 at 11:59 PM ----------

Performance upgrades was for me the main thing I wanted. Very quickly I started collecting parts from the forum. The first item was a ported and polished throttle body. Luckily a former member on here (bananawhip) was putting his VR back to stock. I snapped up his:

SP263 cams

Neuspeed power pulley kit

Thermo Inlet manifold gasket

BMC CDA

And the party piece....Exhaust flap. To this day it's still my favourite mod and always puts a smile on my face.

I still needed to get her re-mapped but the car felt a little better and sounded tons better once I got all these parts on.

I was out driving one night and this random guy in the petrol station came up and offered me some 16" alloys for £150 with brand new tires. At the time they looked 'OK' and bought them. Looking back now.....they looked AWFUL!! lol I guess that's hindsight for ya!! hehe

I also bought an FK badgeless grill and a Kamei grill spolier which I colour coded.

I never got a decent clean pictures of the rado but this is what she looked like:

Edited by JonnyVW

A month after putting these wheels on I had a blow out on the A406. Like an idiot; I lost the locking wheel nut, so like a cowboy I tried to drill it out. Didn't have much luck but luckily my brother saw a mobile tyre fitter van....and he used his special tool and removed it in 5 minutes!! haha

Obviously with this wheel being badly damaged I opted to putting the speedlines back on. =)

Edited by JonnyVW

Continuing my string of bad luck; I was pulling out of a side road crossing over the traffic when a motor bike was driving on the wrong side of the road smacked into my front bumper. The crash was so loud and he flew some serious distance!! =S Luckily he wasn't hurt as he was wearing full body armour. We settled it outide of our insurance companies....he took full blame as I gathered enough witnesses that saw him speeding on the wrong side of the road.

Got her all fixed up within 2 weeks. I also opted for the smaller 50mm front spoiler as the 90mm one was cracked to ****!!

Edited by JonnyVW

So.....after getting the bumper sorted I went for a set of Merc 8 holes - laved with gloss black inserts. 16x7.5j and ran 25mm adaptors up front and 30mm on the rears. I also opted for the gloss black grill with chrome VW badge, figured it would give the front end a fresher look =)

I also got a friend of mine to detail the car. After 4 hours of some claying, compounding and polishing she looked like this:

Edited by JonnyVW

After a night at the NW Dubs meet, a load of us drove into central London to take some shots at the awesome grafiti tunnel by Waterloo....

If your ever in the area....A must place to go to and take some shots!! =)

Got bored of the Merc 8 holes pretty quickly and wanted something with a bit of a dish so opted for some Borbet A's. 7.5x16 up front with 195/40 tyres and 9x16 on the rears with 215/35 tyres. Needles to say the back rub a little so got my mechanic to roll them out some.....Still rubbed but thought f**k it!! Don't carry passengers!! lol

:o how have I not spotted this before, looks amazing. Do love thos Merc rims tho, should of kept them :afro: ;)

And the party piece....Exhaust flap. To this day it's still my favourite mod and always puts a smile on my face.

Whats one of theses?

Great looking car too :)

Gorgeous car mate, not sure if you remember me, bumped into you at torque exhaust about a year ago in a DBP corrado (now Swompy's)....

Looks awesome fella!

Whats one of theses?

Great looking car too :)

Where the cat would be is a Y-pipe with an electronic switch on what looks like a throttle body. I can control how much it opens and closes while im driving. When fully opened it's like I'm running with open headers....or evil V8 like! lol

---------- Post added at 06:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

:o how have I not spotted this before, looks amazing. Do love thos Merc rims tho, should of kept them :afro: ;)

Cheers mate....lots of my friends said I should of kept the 8 holes....it did look good but just didnt do it for me really!!

As for last week I've got more updates to put up since putting the borbet A's on. Smoothed front and rear bumpers, flushed in the side markers, new rear lights and believe it or not....new wheels!! lol

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Gorgeous car mate, not sure if you remember me, bumped into you at torque exhaust about a year ago in a DBP corrado (now Swompy's)....

Looks awesome fella!

I REMEMBER!! hahah Hows it going? I remember yours being a very nice example!! Hope to see you at Players in a couple weeks time!!

Edited by JonnyVW

looking good mate. interested to see some pics of the exhaust flappy thing!? is your cat still there? is it just a noise thing?

looking good mate. interested to see some pics of the exhaust flappy thing!? is your cat still there? is it just a noise thing?

Next time I jack the car up I'll get a pic of it. The length of the Y-pipe is the same as the cat. In my case I replaced the cat with the exhaust flap pipe. It's mainly a noise thing. On my ****ty powerflow exhaust I gained 6hp on the rollers when it was opened. However with my new Jetex cat back system I actually lost 2hp. I guess it showed how **** my old exhaust system was rather than the flap being a performance upgrade.

Decided to get rid of my OEM sprayed red rears and opted for the crystal 50/50 rear lights and sprayed them red. I also colour coded the rear number plate plinth and got the rear bumper smoothed out with the tow bar hole flushed. What do ya think?

Hey guys,

Got me yet another set of new rims for the VR. RH ZW1's which are polished with gold bolts, 8J all round running 205/40/17 Falken 912 tyres. Using 30mm adaptors on the rear and 25mm up front.

Iphone 4 pictures don't really do the car justice...but i'm very happy. Need to lower the front a little more i think.

Also got the front and rear bumpers smoothed and flushed in the side markers.

Edited by JonnyVW

Been a long while since I updated the thread. The plan was to sell the Corrado and start a new project on a MK3 with an ABF eaton which I bought of my mate/mechanic - Nando. However after 6 months of the Rado sitting on the drive and having a time waster come a view the car 3 times I've decided to keep her and put the ABF eaton in place of the VR6 lump.

Plan for the next 4-5 months:

Remove the current VR6 engine and sell it

Strip the bay down, weld up all the holes that aren't needed

Get the bay smoothed and sprayed up

Remove Dash and get flocked - While the dash is out run the new lines so the bulk head look nice and clean!

Complete wire tuck - Remove ABS - Basically as minimal as possible

Powdercoat a few engine parts - rocker cover, charger casing, outlet etc

Drop the ABF Eaton in around the summer time.

I will have to source an the largest.efficient intercooler but won't know what size yet until the engine is dropped in.

Depending on funds....I will get a complete windows out respray job done; but thinking that will happen next year.

I'm selling the RH ZW1 wheels, adaptor's and longer bolts as well as the smooth front bumper and using the original bumper.

Gonna be an interesting next few months. Will update with images as I go along. =)

Just to let you know the spec of my new setup:

9:1 CR, Grant motorsport head, std ABF inlet cam, Nando Eaton spec exhaust cam, 4-1 exhuast manifold, m62 eaton from early 230SLK Merc, Nando Eaton 70mm pulley, ported and flowed supercharger, water & methanol injection, 440cc injectors with 4bar FPR,

Audi 5 pot 20v inlet manifold, g60 T/B, 20v Passat fuel rail, over fueling big time this still saw 290ps @7k and 352Nm from 3.4k to 4.6k. With better fueling and revving it past the 7k limit would easy see 300ps.

Edited by JonnyVW

should be interesting... any reason why you opted for this engine over say turboing your VR lump, or even going down the R32 route?

btw, how do you find the Falkens in terms of grip, turn-in and ride (road noise etc)? Just thinking of a set for the rears on mine.

And the car looks stunning on the RHs, plus tinted crystal rears ;)

I opted for this engine because originally it was gonna go into my other MK3 golf. Got it for a good price from my mate also. The engine is very well spec'd - No lag - Lots of torque from the 'OFF'

For the price I bought it for it's way cheaper than buying a 2nd hand supercharger kit and much cheaper than going turbo. And as it stands...more powerful. Not to mention a lot lighter over the front wheels.

Regarding the Falken tyres....great value for money tire, not as sticky as Yoko S-drives or T1-r's but they handle very well; not overly noisey and they give a good stretch on my wheels. I recommend them. Bought a few sets over the years!!

I do like the Rh's, but I prefer the car on 16"s. Kinda miss my Borbet A's! She had a really nice stance with them on!!

Glad to see you keeping this bro, the body shop who did my engine bay said they'd never do another corrado lol