Alex_G60_Fanatic

Sunroof struggles to slide

Hi,

just fitted a new mech to the C to fix the sunroof. I gave it a good coating of grease (the OEM stuff) and re-fitted the roof panel but now it's all in when I try to slide the roof back it really struggles to move... Like it's having to work hard to move the mech.

Now I know the motor is fine and the mech is good but when I refitted the roof panel to the mech it sits quite low down (the 4 screws have a little adjustment in them) It looks flush from outside but I think the internal trim that slides with the roof is tight against the mech, making it difficult to slide.

Is the roof panel supposed to sit proud of the roof?? or could there be something else stopping the roof from sliding nicely?

When I put mine back together I had the same problem...

On the back edge of the internal panel there is a spring clip on either side that fingers on the inside of the mech are supposed to clip into. I realised what had happened was the fingers were not located in the clips, they were sitting on the clips, pressing the cover down as it moved backwards...

Naturally once I fixed that, the sunroof operated as smoothly and quickly as a modern item, and I had complete confidence that it wouldn't break... joker:

Yeah was going to say, remove the trim and test it first...

I didn't... the head lining isn't completely re-fitted yet but the internal panel is being pushed down against the mech.... without that panel it slides fine!

When I put mine back together I had the same problem...

On the back edge of the internal panel there is a spring clip on either side that fingers on the inside of the mech are supposed to clip into. I realised what had happened was the fingers were not located in the clips, they were sitting on the clips, pressing the cover down as it moved backwards...

That sounds like the culprit... does anyone have a picture from a Bentley manual or etka? or better yet a picture of these clips? I did notice that when I slid the internal panel in it didn't "clip" in like normal

think you can see them if you tilt the sunroof...

If the same has happened to yours as happened to mine, then its likely the fingers now point slightly upwards and you will need to help them home with a screwdriver or similar. I think I had the main headlining back on when I was doing this, i am pretty sure I did. My rood wasn't watertight till I sorted this as the drip-catcher wasn't completely aligned...

think you can see them if you tilt the sunroof...

If the same has happened to yours as happened to mine, then its likely the fingers now point slightly upwards and you will need to help them home with a screwdriver or similar. I think I had the main headlining back on when I was doing this, i am pretty sure I did. My rood wasn't watertight till I sorted this as the drip-catcher wasn't completely aligned...

cheers! shall have to look for these fingers!

sunroof on my car wont slide at all, i read somewhere that to fit a passat one instead? id really like to get the sunroof moving and not just tilting, is it an easy enough job to do?

sunroof on my car wont slide at all, i read somewhere that to fit a passat one instead? id really like to get the sunroof moving and not just tilting, is it an easy enough job to do?

If you are a double jointed dwarf,with the nimble fingers of a Pianist,the patience of a saint, and more money then you can shake a stick at, still not easy

Unless you use the search !

Hi,

Now I know the motor is fine and the mech is good but when I refitted the roof panel to the mech it sits quite low down (the 4 screws have a little adjustment in them) It looks flush from outside but I think the internal trim that slides with the roof is tight against the mech, making it difficult to slide.

hey alex the roof is not ment to be flush . Its in the search , 1mm lower than roof level at the front , 1mm higher at the back . Or its the other way round ! as i said do the search mate . regards rob