Sign in to follow this  
iandavidcassidy

cabin / wheel noise

i am can still hear noise from the front of my car. so far i have done the front bearings and replaced worn discs and pads. But there is still a rumbling noise bettween 10-40mph.

What is it, or am i expecting too much from a 10 year old car? How noisey are your c's? can you hear much tyre noise etc?

wondering if a gearbox would do that... ...not what you wanna hear I know. :cry: what car is it btw?

laters

randal

I've only ever heard the vw diff go, never the gearbox. The diff starts to make a metro or mini type sound! - if u have had it, u know what I mean.

Are u sure it is the front, the bearings are a low drone noise that resonates in the car....can make it sound like its from another area of the car.

What are the sympoms of your noise? Louder on left or right turns, or under breaking?

Arrrg, the metro drone. along with the squeaky susp, (well those springs and rods they call susp) - makes for a pretty musical car!

doesn't help, but I hate metros if that counts.

ta

randal

my car is a vr6 1995 92k miles. I am sure it is tyre road noise related, sounds kind of lumpy. " bum boom, bum boom" type, It's not overly loud and think has been toned down after each trip to the garage, bearings , discs. But i want smoothness and quiet!!!

Do you think getting camber adjusted can help this?

get your tracking and camber checked mate, if 1 wheels pulling slightly itll make a noise. what tyres you using? i was running 17s with yokohamas on my mk1 and boy were they noisy.

i am running michelin stadard sizes. very sceptical that this noise is from them or the camber? just pouring more money away. can c's be quiet inside or is there always some road noise?

wow! cheers. i'll try this, will i be able to do it myself? or do i need to take anything off the car?

Depends how good you are, I'm crap so I took it to my man.

However One of the driveshafts won't come out (as its that dry) so I'm going to leave it with him for a few hours for him to play with.

In theory, if everything goes well it should be possible to do both sides within an hour, but if yours is in the same state as mine It may take longer.

it could even be the rear wheel bearings,had the same sort of noise on my old golf,so i assumed it was the front,got them changed,noise was still there,a mechanic mate told me to try the rear bearing and hey presto no more droning noise,you be supprised how sound travels through the car