coullstar

Anyone bought a CAT C car before?

Ive been looking for a project / muckabout / winter car to tinker with and may have found a Corrado that fits the bill.

Apparently its a Cat C but its never had the VIC check carried out. The guy said the V5 was ID'd but I dont know what that means. I suspect it should really should have been a Cat D but we all know the price of Corrado panels hence why it was put to a CAT C.

Anyone ever bought one and had hassle with insurance or other issues?

Hmmm - it must have been pretty bad to be a cat C mate... unless it's something special I'd find another - loads of cheap Corrado's on the market

i would just have a good look at it,see what the doors shut like and panel gaps.i had a cat c astra that was bad.it used to get wet inside doors wouldnt shut proper.i dont think it would take much damage to make a corrado a cat c tho

VIC = Vehicle Identity Check, they check that the car has been repaired and its not a ringer.

If the damage is more than 2 thirds of the cars value they apply cat C or D, it doesn't take much damage to write off a 10+ year old car.

Buy on condition as you would any other purchase

I saw probably the same car today, thought it was cheap, then read the text and saw it said Cat C. To my mind it might be fine, but it might not and it was not "that" cheap that it was worth considering. Cat C is usually pretty significant damage somewhere and it may only become apparent once you dig deeper.

Jay

I bought once cat c audi S3 with all vosa check carried out, etc, ready to put on road, no problems with insurance etc. But... NEVER EVER AGAIN !!!! front chassis leg was touching suspension, so tell me how vosa could allow this car back on the road ?? bumpers never fit properly, wishbones were slightly bended and whole chassis didn't match factory points on laser check. I bought this car on parts so wasn't bother that bumpers doesn't fit etc. buy after driving 1500 miles all the way to Poland and taking it to may mates garage I was lucky that I'm alive. Car was producing 360 bhp at the moment and just in case wasn't driving faster than 80mph as car wasn't driving straight and that probably save me so once again NEVER EVER AGAIN.

Had a cat d cars as well and never seen any problems with them.

Cat C refers to an insurance write off. There are four levels of damage A-D. Cat D = minor and Cat A = vitually impossible to repair.

If you're after a good project, I've a 1.8 16v that could be worth a punt. Just has an engine problem at the mo, although still has mot and had about £700 of front suspension work done at stealth for this last mot.

Give me a shout if you're interested.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

A = Straight to the crusher

B = non-repairable, may be salvaged for parts

C = repairable, fairly extensive and likely structural damage

D = repairable, non-structural damage

On the one hand there is nothing to say that a Cat C car is as structurally sound and straight as a normal car, but it depends on who has done the repairs and how much was spent to put it right. You'll often find that a Cat C older classic (pre-1980 or so) will have been lovingly restored, but a more modern car will likely have just been put back on the road as cheaply as possible. A Cat C can be a bargain if you know what to look for, but unfortunately even the good Cat Cs will always have that stigma attached to them, so you'll never get decent money back when you come to sell.

I buy em all the time for breaking,but a lot of the time the cars can go back on the road with very little done.

More often than not its just down to the price of the parts to repair that makes them cat c.

Wifeys c vr was cat c twice!

After the 2nd repair when it was hit I decided to break,insurance paid out full market value of £2800 with us buying it back for £500

my second valver was declared cat d after my mates wife drove into the door and rear panel at 2mph, so as above, can mean very little in terms of overall condition and just be a case of bad luck.

The lesson is not to pursue small prangs through the insurance if there's no 3rd party involved, if you have an older car...