ryanmac

rolling wheel arches....

Hi all

I have the front wings off the C as I was undersealing the inner wings and doing a slight repair. I have noticed though that the tyres have had some contact with the lip around the wheel arch.

I want to roll the arches while the wings are off the car. Has anyone done it and how did you go about it.

Cheers

Ryan

Its best to leave it to a professional I think. If you want to try it I think its best if you do it with the wings fitted and use a hot air gun to heat the paint or else it will crack, but then I dont know what tool you would use apart from the proper rolling one

Has anyone used Arch Enemy? Just had a quote from him for £100 to do the rear arches on mine. seem reasonable and is his work good?

Rears are much more involved than fronts.... Are you just rolling the outer edge? I would ask him how he's going to do it first....

Can he guarantee that the paint work won't be affected?

---------- Post added at 4:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 4:29 PM ----------

Hi all

I have the front wings off the C as I was undersealing the inner wings and doing a slight repair. I have noticed though that the tyres have had some contact with the lip around the wheel arch.

I want to roll the arches while the wings are off the car. Has anyone done it and how did you go about it.

Cheers

Ryan

Hammer and dolly will do the fronts. The arch roller can pull the wings and sometimes bend the front lower section near the cill so it's almost easier if you make sure the wings don't get scratched. Or go easy with the arch roller and keep the wings in place?

I practiced with a spare wing first on the ground with hammer and dolly and had a good result.

he said he had recently done some corrados and knew the difference between the old and new wheel arch base. He will be cleaning the arch out, removing the seam sealer, heating the paint and the rolling the arch. It'll than be resealed and he reckons he should be able to get away without damaging the paint, but thats not guaranteed.

I had a quote from arch enemy for all four arches rolled for 150 I think. Looks like they know what they're doin but as said there's no guarantee on paint damage .

Word of warning guys, Corrado front arches i'd say no problem for Arch Enemy type outfits.

However rear arches are extremely tough little buggers, double if not triple skinned and extremely challenging to modify successfully with an arch roller.

Add in the fact that a fair few Corrado's in there early days had touch ups, paint, filler and some times even new rear quarters, its a recipe for disaster and most likely a further trip to a body shop.

I'd be 100% sure your rear arches are original before even calling Arch Enemy or borrowing/hiring/buying an arch roller.

First stop IMO -> clear 15 years worth of dirt out of them. Should give you a very good insight into condition.

OK, my arch (LHS rear) is rubbing not at the top as i suspected but at the front bottom edge. So Phil (Arch Enemy) said there was nothing he could do as it had the three tabs on it, and a thick layer of underseal. as my axle bushes are a bit worn we suspected that this may be contributing to the forward movement thus causing rubbing at this point only.

I'll post some pics tomorrow if anyone needs them but i'd be interested in options or opinions about what to do.

Really want to put the tt comps back on this year and perhaps sell the speedlines

Some pics below, its actually quite hard to photograph this portion with the wheel on and in the photo it looks like the arch lips have been ground off! Its the lower tab where my finger it that has the rubbing on it - the paint has come off from it and the outer edge of the rubbed section looks white.

as been said before, rear arches are very very hard to roll with out breaking the paint.....

hammer and dolly for the fronts no probs at all but the rears ...............gonna require some paint...

looks like some spam above.

That aside, what can be done to solve this issue, other than grinding off the offending article and then watching the whole side rust to bits over the next few years?

I got my rear arches rollod on my old valver by banded steels and he managed to do a good job without breaking the paint , all the sealer was removed and the arches warmed up and then rolled and pulled to fit 9s in at et 15

I think he charged me 60 quid for both rears

Thanks, i'll give them a bell, although looking at your details are they based up north? Do you know if they have guys in the London area?

Damnit I missed the spam :(

Should have known I would never beat our resident Spam Hound Jim :)

Guess the best I can hope for is some nice Port Salut.