Sign in to follow this  
Timo.

Hall Sender price/part no. ????

Need a hall sender (cam position sensor), or impulse sender if you are a VW stealer. Just been in to the stealers to order one. Read on threads on forum, price should be around £35. Oh no, tis £140 according to them. Told them to stick it where the sun dont shine. Thought they were getting confused, but it looked like the right part on the screen. I know that the engine speed sensor is about that price. Me thinks they are confused.

By the way mine has a coilpack not a dizzy. I was going to get it from gsf, but they only seem to do them for dizzy models.

Need part number so I can go back to make sure that price is for the right part

cheers

simon (in a rather shocked state) £140!! :shock: blimey charlie

Need a hall sender (cam position sensor), or impulse sender if you are a VW stealer. Just been in to the stealers to order one. Read on threads on forum, price should be around £35. Oh no, tis £140 according to them. Told them to stick it where the sun dont shine. Thought they were getting confused, but it looked like the right part on the screen. I know that the engine speed sensor is about that price. Me thinks they are confused.

By the way mine has a coilpack not a dizzy. I was going to get it from gsf, but they only seem to do them for dizzy models.

Need part number so I can go back to make sure that price is for the right part

cheers

simon (in a rather shocked state) £140!! :shock: blimey charlie

They've quoted you for the Engine speed sensor mate. Idiots.

Just tell them you need the impulse sender from the head. There's only 1 on the head so I'm surprised they can't find it.

K

Thats what I thought, could do with the part number if anybody has it. It will save me taking mine out again to have a look at it to get the number of it.

Simon

If they can't find one solitary impulse sender on the head, they need sacking, but here you go:-

021907601A - £28.80+VAT

cheers man, had the engine cover off this morning to get the part number for myself. Thought I may aswell. I would have to take it off to replace it anyway.

I just hope this cures my problems. I've tried alot of things already. Its running nice and smooth though, so I must be doing something right. Its can lack va va voom on many occasions though. Its weird and very annoying!!

still we shall find out tomorrow when I get the part - 26 bucks +vat

cheers for the help kev

ta

Simon

Its can lack va va voom

I thought thats what gay french cars had.

sorry, just the first thing that came into my head. I hate french cars.

How about, zoom, zoom zooommm!! 8)

simon

If your VR is lacking in power occasionally, have you checked the MAF sensor? It's job is to constantly measure drawn in air as you know, so there shouldn't be any massive variations in performance from one day to the next.

changed the hall sender this morning and boy what a difference. I'll be waiting a few days though to make sure its ok before I break out the beer! Went to the VW garage to pick the part up this morning. From driver from the dealers to my girlfriends house (2 miles max), return home to find stream coming out of the front of the car. I thought 'oh for fooks sake, what now!!' One of the coolant pipes at the front of the engine is pissing steam out of it. Cant really see which one it is. I'm pretty sure its the pipe that goes from the oil cooler into the front of the engine block. Really annoyed!!! :mad: Its just one thing after another. STill its going well so I am well chuffed with that. I'll just have to drive very, very slowly till I have chance to sort it.

ta

Simon (feed up!)

Hi again all. Thought it had been a while since something went wrong with the VR! Vag com throws up cam position sensor open or short. Any body know how it is wired in and how deep it is buried in the head. Thanks in advance

Mate.. KevHaywire just helped me change mine on Sunday.. made a world of difference!

Its underneath the black plastic cover above the coil pack on the RHD side of the engine...

You need a spline socket to take the plastic cover of, otherwise just a normal set of sockets will get the rest off.. you may need to remove the coilpack to get to the cam sensor bolt...

Also if your is anything like mine was (hadn't been removed in 12 years) it may be a bit stuck and need 'encouragement' to come out..

I have got an intermittent failure on vag-com so hopefully a clean of the contacts will see the end of problems. Otherwise I will just replace it. The cable guide on top of the coilpack just unclips so you shouldn't need to remove the whole coilpack assembly to gain access to the bolt.

they tend to give intermittent failure when they are on there way out.

Change it....

T.

Hi , ive just googled the problem i had and its bought up this link....i have a mk2 golf with a 2.9 vr6 in.....cars not been runnin too well for past few weeks....as i start the car in mornin the revs shoot up past 2000 rpm and holds there for a few minutes before eventually getting back to normal, however when im driving the car she's not as quick as she should be and also doesnt sound exactly right....so anyways as advised put the car on diagnostics, it diagnosed the engine speed sender (cam) is faulty...just a few months ago i changed the crank and lamba sensors....my first question is if the engine speed sensor is faulty then would i experience idling and the car cutting off problems when its idling....also ive called main dealers and the price for the speed sender is £150...or 110 for andy page...now reading on this post if its the same sensor saying the guy picked it up for £30-£40.....please shed some light on this matter....many thanks in advance.....!!!

Its not the same sensor.

Engine speed sensor is not the same as the hall (cam position sensor) sender.

If you're engine speed sensor is dead, the car wont run at all. If your car was scanned with only the ignition on and the engine not running, this fault always shows up on diagnostic. This doesn't mean there is a fault with it.

Speed sensor is in the region of £150, where as the hall sender is £30-40.

If the cars performance is not up to scratch I would change the hall sender, however if there is a problem with it, it should be showing up a fault on vag-com.

Cutting out problems can be associated with the ISV (idle stabilization valve). Often a could clean of this component with carb cleaner can solve that problem. (there are loads of threads on cleaning the ISV).

Hope that helps

T.

just in case anyone needs one, I have an engine speed sensor(Not cam one)

Is working fine, changed in error. Any offers gratefully received, as emigrating soon, and having a clear out..................this is £150 from the stealers. although this one is used, I left the new one in.