Sign in to follow this  
devnull

Replacing VR6 Head Gasket -- Anything else I should do?

I'm going to be replacing a very leaky headgasket on my VR6. Does anyone know of any gotchas or other parts I should go about replacing while I'm in there? (You know, like things that will have to be broken to get it apart, things that I might as well service while I'm in there, etc.)

Thanks in advance!

:D

If you can be bothered to drop the tranny, change out the chains and tensioners too, but only if they're completely past it.

Check bores 1 and 6 for premature wear but this mainly only affects the 2.9 lump, should be OK with your 2.8.

If you get a complete head set from the dealer, you'll get all the bits you need for the gasket change except head bolts, replace those as they are the stretch type.

Just go easy, don't rush it and you'll be fine :lol:

It's got 130K miles on it (if that tells you anything), and I'm not certain how to go about testing the state of the chains or the tensioners (am I correct in assuming that it's the timing chain tensioners that you're referring to?). Since I just replaced the clutch, I'd like to avoid removing the transmission -- it was enough of a headache 5 months ago ;) (If you know of a good way to test or signs which indicate they need some attention and it seems like they need replacing then I'd do it in spite of the hassle)

I'll look into getting a complete head set as well as the bolts, I didn't know you could get a set. Thanks for the advice!

The chains will tell you they need doing. If there's noticeably more irregular rattle at around 1200rpm than at any other engine speed, chances are you'll need to do the chains (which is a clutch-off job) :(

Devnull, when you lift the rocker cover, have a look at the upper tensioner (a blade covered in brown plastic) and check for deep scoring and/or missing bits of plastic. If it looks OK, you're fine :-)

Will do, it doesn't rattle at all to the best of my knowledge, but I'll take a look at the tensioner. Chances are it may have been done around 100K by the previous owner, I haven't looked through the paperwork I have yet.

I bought a gasket set, the dealer wanted $300 :shock: but my local VW parts house got it for $150, much easier to swallow. UnfortunatelyI have to order the head bolts from the dealer *sigh* ...

Thanks again for the info.