24V Renshaw

Renshaw project (probably going to sell / swap)

4 years since I sold my previous Corrado I decided to re-join the fold again and went on the hunt for a relatively cheap, but original as I could find Corrado VR.

Having spent a few hours chatting to Gareth (OSV) I knew this time round I would not be going down the conversion/modification route, but instead just a tweeked originality. So my main criteria for a car was unmolested and unmodified, as I know the hardest thing to do now is find original good condition Corrado specific parts.

Having literally just started looking for a car I got a text from Gareth pointing me at an apparently suitable VR for sale in Wales. The car was totally and utterly stock and bonus of all bonuses had factory electric heated Recaro leather.

So I contacted the owner and it became apparent this car could be ideal. He had owned the car for 13 years and just used it as "a car" having it maintained as necessary and enjoying it. The car has done 200K miles, but you would not believe it. It's a really solid base, with cosmetic issues which I will address, but on the whole what you would expect from 17 years of driving.

All the paint is original and should come up very well in most areas and the interior is as solid as I have seen with not a single clip broken or screw cover missing!

So a trip this weekend saw me driving the car back to Cheshire to start the polishing of the rough, to hopefully reveal the diamond underneath.

I have to admit, despite some minor hesitation and one or two minor mechanical noises it drives superbly, with a very sure footed handling as should be expected and the lovely pull of the VR. Engine is tight with no smoke or other nasties and I think with some TLC will run well for a good while yet.

It will no doubt take me a while to get back in the swing of all things Corrado and I know I have a lot to catch up on in what has moved on in terms of parts etc..

The weirdest thing for me is despite owning a number of Corrados including my previous one which was rebuilt from the ground up, I have never owned a 12V VR.

So here she is...

57bd320a.jpg

82dfb968.jpg

2f9870ef.jpg

ce3a3dc6.jpg

Edited by 24V Renshaw

I had a feeling it was this one! Did seem like a great buy for someone willing to get their hands dirty. I look forward to seeing how it goes! I'd imagine it'll look 100 times better with just a thorough detailing session TBH! :)

Highly commendable motives and reasoning Jay. Also coming from a heavily modified background, I too am finding myself warming to car's original and standard charms.

Having not driven mine since Easter, a trip out in Pat McCrotch's mint and standard VR recently was the most enjoyable driving experience I've had in recent memory and reminded me of what makes the Corrado so special.

They drive so well as standard it makes you wonder why on earth people modify them in the first place.

I guess a lot of us prioritise the looks over handling, i.e. the 4x4 ride height.

The core of the car will always be special regardless of what we do to it, but these days the good and sensible money goes into restoration.

Due to VW not being friends of the Corrado and obsoleting everything in sight, I hope you are able to restore it to the standards you're aiming for.

Cheers Kev. I have to admit it will not retain the ride height or the wheels, but everything else will stay. To my mind an easily reversible mod is acceptable. :)

Great choice, gorgeous colour too. Really don't see many of the DBPs around anymore. It's also given me a kick up the ar$e to get on with mine...!

Funny as this is the way I see myself going as well. Basically standard bar suspension and some mild engine tweaks. What colour is it?

Dark Burgundy Pearl.

I genuinely think the cars which will be most sought after in the not too distant future will be the original ones. They are so cheap at the moment I think a lot will be lost into the ether.

Jay

I hope the prices rise again to decent collectable status after the economy restabilises. Perhaps we will retain our higher quality of owner too!

/snobbish rant

So first job I have had done on the car was to get the underside steam cleaned so I can see exactly where I am with the car. To be honest I very pleasantly surprised, it is extremely solid with just a couple of minor patches which I want to sort out on the bottom of the rear 1/4s where the Corrado commonly goes. Otherwise its actually very good.

I was amazed at the difference the steam clean made and for £30 all done it was worth every penny to save me getting caked and soaking wet :)

Before

e7c9be38.jpg

After

31d0ad91.jpg

Its now in the garage to begin the work on bringing it up to a reasonable daily.

Its new home.....

dce936b8.jpg

Nice buy, have the chains etc been done? Interesting to hear a 200k VR is running so well!

Its great to see you back in a Corrado. I certainly think your plan of attack and intentions are spot on. You've certainly got a really nice colour/trim combo and the steam clean has revealed what looks to be a pretty straight and solid shell.

Cheers Gareth. Didn't get many useful pictures after the clean, but here is another showing after...

74a97257.jpg

Planning on grinding back and treating the only tiny areas of concern and then clear waxoyling the whole lot, hopefully leaving a very OEM underside to the shell before I start on everything.

I think black is one of the best colours for the Corrado, right up there with Flash red :p

I love the interior as well, exactly the same as mine.

I'm going to keep mine as standard as possible except for the things you HAVE to change, like the ride height, and the very dated and terrible sounding stereo! I've got some 16" BBS pininfarinas that I'm gonna put on mine, they are very similar to the speedlines but fill the arches better and are made by BBS 8)

Very nice car, and really liek those black Recaro's. Would surely like to have similar in mine.

Cheers,

Redfox.