24V Renshaw

Renshaw project (probably going to sell / swap)

Can't beat fresh rubber!

Rc's will look awesome. You should have them finished like the mk4 Anni wheels, would look so damn good against the Dbp paint...

Yesterday i was reminded of the joys of running a corrado as a daily... But also the fact I love the cars because they always get me home somehow!

Having just popped round to Andys to drop off his orbital polisher and admire his spotless car, I pulled onto the motorway and heard a pop and then had a nice steam spray up the bonnet.

I knew what it was and the coolant level light confirmed it, so I pulled over straight away and popped the bonnet expecting to see a burst pipe and found the top radiator elbow plastic pipe had neatly split into two short lengths..

2272668d.jpg

I managed to push it back on loosely and actually limped to the garage round the corner before it popped off again under the rising pressure, but the temp never went over 120.

At the garage I managed to undo the jubilee clip with my house keys (no screwdriver in the boot or for sale in the garage!! Doh!!) and removed the piece of plastic from inside the hose. I then pushed the pipe onto the 10mm or so of remaining plastic pipe and tightened the jubilee clip with the key again. I then bought 4L of nice spring water from the shop and filled the car up and it managed the remaining 20 odd miles home no problem!

So I need a new top elbow, which as I found out today is obsolete! Great! So the choice now is a pattern one or a billet one... Typically when I was sorting out the engine a few months back I couldn't get a new elbow in time for the rolling road day so kept the old one on... So I only have myself to blame :)

Jay

Although they say corrados are unrealiable, i've only ever been stuck and needed recovering once, i quite enjoy the adventure of fixing it and getting home.

I have the gruvenparts one on mine, its nicely made but quite expensive, but i figured its never going to need replacing again. Think i got a deal as i ordered a few VR6 parts at once, still got some golf part i never needed.

DSC00659.jpg

DSC00663.jpg

Good to hear that you managed to get home.

I am actually getting a bit worried of VW's rather ugly stand to refuse to supply even the most well-known spares. Even mazda does not do this.

I'll try to source one here, if I can get two, I'll drop you a pm.

Cheers,

Redfox.

Managed to find a brand new genuine one on EBay. Expensive at £30, but the last one has been good for 17 years so it's worth the money.

Jay

You can still get the rad elbow, several of us have bought them recently from VW Heritage or Classicparts DE, cost around £20 I think

---------- Post added at 10:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

Actually, looking at the invoice, it was £6 :)

Good to see the updates Jay! I have 17 pages of new posts to trawl through - seems I've not been on here in a while!

What's next on the list? Perhaps some samcos for peace of mind?

Made a little bit of progress today. Was down at my mums for the weekend and was able to pick up a rear beam off Stu, cheers fella. He had already stripped it bare, but the mounts and bushes were still in place.

So I got it home and stripped off the mounting brackets and then attacked the bushes. To say they are shot is an understatement. Whatever car they were on must have felt awful on the back LOL.

89218d24.jpg

So I now have an ever growing pile of bits ready to take to the powder coaters... Included the wheels which I have dismantled and just need to sand down the edges on tomorrow.

12ce79c0.jpg

915892f3.jpg

Jay

Nice work going on here mate, just had a scan through the thread and am looking forward to seeing what it all looks like back from powder coating.

Guy

Nice work Jay and good to meet you yesterday.

Those bushes do look shot, only drove the 8v a few miles as it had been off the road for a number of years prior. Obviously original items well over due for a change.

Looking forward to seeing that lot back from the powdercoaters.

I have got myself a spare rear axle for refurb aswell any tips on getting the old rear bush out. Did you use a press for this and are you planning on getting some new stub axles.

Found an air chisel makes mince meat of them in no time at all.

A lot easier than struggling with a punch/hammer for hours.

Jay - get in touch with Pat_McCrotch... we just bought a load of radiator elbows from Germany through Classic Parts and as has been said they were something like £6! :) Pat_McCrotch (Neil) works for an Audi dealer who have become the first official VAG dealership importer for Classic Parts in the UK so he should be able to hook you up! :)

Jay - get in touch with Pat_McCrotch... we just bought a load of radiator elbows from Germany through Classic Parts and as has been said they were something like £6! :) Pat_McCrotch (Neil) works for an Audi dealer who have become the first official VAG dealership importer for Classic Parts in the UK so he should be able to hook you up! :)

Damn it! I have already bought it as there was no availability on Neil's group buy.

Oh well, at least I will have it, thanks anyway Jim

Jay

i got my old bushes out by poking a screwdriver through them, then hacksawing through them

Exactly. Takes 5 mins. Hacksaw a slit in the metal outer and it will punch out in seconds.

bugger! i should have read this sooner, i have two spare elbows sat at home..

needed to order one from classic parts, but as the postage takes up a decent % of the cost i ordered three!

Good progress as ever Jay :) those wheels do look pretty bad, cant wait to see the finished product.

Cheers mate, hope your recovery is going OK.

The wheels look worse in the pictures because the kurb marks have gone black. I dressed the edges a bit last night and they are coming up much better than I thought. Determined to spend tonight/tomorrow finishing them up ready for sand blasting and powder coating so I can take everything up in one go.

Jay

So having had a good look at the beam I have and the beam on the car it turns out the VR6 does have a different rear beam and mounting bracket to all other Corrados. 100% definitely.

The brake pressure regulator is mounted differently on the VR6 and as such the brackets on the beam and the mount are different.

So the rear beam and brackets I have stripped ready for powder coating are no use to me. However I will get them blasted and coated, so if anyone wants them let me know. :)

I have thankfully sourced a VR6 rear beam which is now on its was so I should have that on Monday and can finally get the parts to the powder coaters...

Jay

bad luck on the beam mate, never really looked into that to be honest!