24V Renshaw

Renshaw project (probably going to sell / swap)

The elimination of rattles continued this weekend. While doing the "fixed column" mod I removed the lower undertray and found the dealer fit immobiliser box held loosely in with one screw. Definitely a source for a clunk and a knock over bumps, so that is being secured properly.

Hoping my front coilovers will be arriving today, but I am sitting in departures about to fly to Norway so wont be able to fit them until Wednesday night.

Jay

Was getting frustrated with the state of the carpet which had clearly never been cleaned in the cars 17 year life. having not had chance to remove the seats and clean everything properly and with Stanford hall coming up in a week or so, I took the opportunity this evening to sort it...

Not a pretty sight...

44227d87.jpg

Much better

2e44268a.jpg

This is the difference it made, the dark patch is not wet, just clean!!

8857f840.jpg

Then came the passenger side, equally filthy!

67e3c6ac.jpg

But it came up like new :)

d42a216f.jpg

What 17 years worth of grime looks like!

53a862b6.jpg

Jay

Result there mate :)

Not gonna have the VR ready for Stanford as it's taking me ages but getting there now and got the rear beam to get off so may come and bug you with a few questions :) especially the front suspension which is concerning me as i think i've done it wrong.

Will be nice though to just enjoy the show for a change..

Cheers Chris.

The seats and the new steering wheel are next on the agenda. One of my neighbours is a furniture repairer and has taken the wheel to "refresh" it and will be doing the same with the seats. They are pretty good considering, but are just starting to go so he will be sorting them before Stanford too.

Jay

Was meant to ask how the wheel was.

By Stanford I reckon you could put your standard wheels on and have a good chance in the concours!!!!!

The wheel is all solid and complete, just a bit worn on the usual places, so he is going to sort that along with the seats.

LOL. The car is nowhere near concours mate, especially the paint which is next after I am happy with the interior. To be honest I don't want/expect it to be, it gets driven 50 miles minimum a day, so its pointles.. I just want it all how it should be, mechanically and cosmetically. The rear beam is already filthy :)

I am really enjoying how solid it feels now with all the fixes on the interior. Its better than most modern cars I get driven in now.

Jay

LOL, yeah, but It didn't actually smell to be fair, it was just dirt really.

I solved another annoying rattle in the dash yesterday. The original factory Sony CD player didn't have the rubber stopper on the back which supports the back end of the head unit in the metal plate on the dash. I found one in my box of bits and fitted it on the stereo. It is so much more solid now i have fitted it in and all the rattle and a squeaks in the dash have gone.

I've been surprised ( many times now ) to see this part missing from car radio installs. It makes so much difference. Not only to rattles, but can also help to stop the radio from wriggling loose.

Great pace and standard of work.

Cheer James. The rubber bung makes such a massive difference and if you didn't know it was supposed to be there you would always have a rattling dash without knowing why.

As I intend to go to Stanford hall this Sunday, I have a plan of attack for this week...

Tuesday night - prep and paint the Spax rsx coilover front struts.

Wednesday night - fit and adjust spax rsx coilover front struts

Thursday night - wash and clay car

Friday night - remove recaro front seats and drop to furniture restorer

Saturday - detail paint as best I can and clean car as much as poss inside and out.

Saturday evening - refit restorer recaros and fit new Momo wheel.

It's going to be busy...

Jay

Well make sure you take the time to get pictures up on here Jay!

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it all done with time to spare. Wish I could get to Stanford :-(

I've been surprised ( many times now ) to see this part missing from car radio installs. It makes so much difference. Not only to rattles, but can also help to stop the radio from wriggling loose.

A lot of people remove it (and the metal support bracket at the back of the dash) because most aftermarket radios are too deep to use the rubber snubber mount. DIN only specifies the facia dimensions, not the depth unfortunately.

But yep, a good call for rattle prevention. Honestly, Corrados *DO* have a rattle free and quiet interior to rival a modern car's.....*IF* people put the effort in to restore the dash to how it left the factory, plus some other aftermarket improvements.

Couldn't agree more. Its a pleasure to drive now and actually makes the ride feel much better as each bump doesn't result in a load of rattle and clatter!...

Jay

Step one done. No more bright yellow struts to distract the eye when they are fitted. All black and ready to fit tomorrow. Springs are dark purple so no need to paint those.

741d92af.jpg

Jay

Tick.

Hope you've got a whiteboard with the jobs written in big fat chisel tip marker. Neutralizing their threat with a great northern swipe !

Tres bon.

So after a load of fitting removing then fitting again, I am back to where I started with the front suspension.

I fitted the front coilovers but kept on having to wind the platform higher and higher to the point where it just about sat high enough to drive and there was no adjustment left. Having done a bit of digging I have managed to find out the springs have been changed by someone for some short low poundage ones. Speaking to SPAX it turns out the springs are intended for a fiat punto!

So SPAX are trying to find out what should be on there, but I think I will just sort my own springs as they are just 2 1/4 i.d springs which you can get from anywhere.

So everything is back on as it was with the Koni struts and H&R springs for now and I will hopefully get them sorted next week.

While I was playing around I thought I would take a couple of pics of how little is left on a Koni VR strut when running with the front at around 310mm from wheel centre to arch. Not much considering there is no bump stop in there....

db53e7b4.jpg

For the coilovers I purposely bought non VR6 struts to make sure the length was short so when I do get the right springs it will give me plenty of travel at the height I run and allow the fitment of a nice long bumpstop.

The struts are probably 2" shorter than the already shortened Koni struts.

23878807.jpg

Jay

Jay

Because of the wrong springs I have not had chance yet to try them so I can't say 100% but I am intending to measure the stroke and the overall length to make sure they are running in the right part of the shock once they are on.

Jay

Hi jay just been rumbling around the forum and found your other thread for your previous car very much impressed but i think i can see another respray coming for your new steed its something i am also planning. Oh dear this list is getting long!:bonk::bonk: