24V Renshaw

Renshaw project (probably going to sell / swap)

I think the 12v uses enough fuel as it is, probably stick with that in mine, can see the 12v being a historic artifact one day :lol:

Hey mate, I just wanted to say that your work really is an inspiration. I've not touched my car for months, a combination of bad weather, and laziness but having seen what you have done has really made me want to get back on it. You do seem to have a habit of setting the bar high!!

LOL cheers Ollie, glad its getting you motivated.

Funnily enough I have not had much time on the car recently due to work and kids :). But the wife was out tonight and the kids were both sound asleep so I just spent a couple of hours in the late sunshine tinkering with the car.

Fitted Daves excellent centre console bracket, but was amazed to see all four tabs on the plastic centre console undertray were all still intact.

66507cd6.jpg

30c2f498.jpg

On a similar note I seemed to still be getting a bit of rattling and knocking from the back end of the car. I was standing admiring the back end as you do, when I noticed the rear inner lights did not line up perfectly with the outer ones. I pushed down on the bootlid a bit and there was more movement there than I thought there should be. So by loosening off the boot catch in the rear panel and moving it down a few mm the boot is now pulled down tight and the lights line up perfectly.

I am now really looking forward to the drive to work tomorrow to see how much difference these little tweaks make when I drive it....

Jay

I can remember you talking about the inpro rear lights not lining up when you came over with Asim, and you saying you would file the slots to make them line up properly! That must have been at least 10 years ago! Yours was still a g60 I think, and quick too. Things never change eh!

LOL. Yeah I have a bit of an obsession with stuff lining up as it should :)

I had my first Corrado in 2001 so we are knocking on 11 years now!

Jay

Well, WOW!! What a difference adjusting the boot has made. It's like someone has welded the boot shut and fitted a strut brace! The drive to work this morning was a joy, no squeaks or rattles from the back end at all. So chuffed!

The centre console also made a big difference to driving the car, no more clicks and creaks when you put the hand brake on, I am starting to love this car more and more.

Jay

It is funny how you can spend hundreds and hundreds of pounds on boring maintenance items where you don't notice a single change in the way the car drives or goes.. but you can spent a bit of time adjusting stuff like this and it makes a world of difference! :)

You are quite right Jim. I have said so many times, the car would never ever have left the factory with squeaks, rattles or knocks. So if you have some, something is loose, missing, worn out or broken. You work through all of those and you end up with a solid tight quiet car.

Things like stiffer suspension and bigger wheels don't cause these issues they just highlight what's there...

Jay

Jay you need to look at my dash board in the people carrier...!!!!! rattles all the time

LOL, bring it over next week mate and we will sort it.

I am on a mission now to cure every single un desirable noise.

When I go over a significant sharp bump in the road I seem to get a kind of "clap" noise from somewhere over in the passenger footwell.

Does anyone know how the heated seat relay set is mounted as I have a feeling it's there somewhere.

Jay

Sure the heated seat relays are behind the passenger rear doorcard. Squeeks and rattles drive me daft. The amount of times I've crawled around the car whilst Jo is driving, clutching a towel to cloak any noise. Trying to work out where it's coming from.

Just got an intermittant noise from the passenger door card to resolve now.

Then another can appear !

Hmmm.

I will pull the passenger side undertray off tonight and have a look see of there is anything obvious.

It sounds like a large plastic box or something "clacking" down against a surface. Weird.

Jay

Probably an alarm box hitting the heater ducting

Or the relays above the ducting have come off their mounts

Bear in mind this is a totally original car, no aftermarket alarms or stereo gear here LOL. Although it was a dealer fit alarm, so that is a possibility....

If it was anything like my dealer fit alarm was, it'll just be chucked in there, wires all over the place, truly the worst alarm installation I'd seen.

Funny you should say that Kip. I did a bit of looking this evening and found a couple of potential causes.

The alarm box was indeed mounted above the glove box and actually the install was quite tidy, however the way the alarm box was mounted meant it could "clap" against the underside of the scuttle tray.

f289b87f.jpg

So I have now secured it properly which will eliminate that as a possible cause.

While poking around I also found the fan itself had a lot of float and would clunk up and down. So I removed the lower clip and replaced the bottom washer with a new one which significantly reduced the end float and again eliminates that as a potential cause.

9c38948f.jpg

So the proof will be in the pudding on the way to work tomorrow morning...

Jay

Awesome car, and big inspiration for my first foray into the world of Corrados!

I hate noises too, like OCD hate them! My current teeth-grinder is my alarm fob rattling on the steering wheel surround... according to my girlfriend I have "problem". :)

^^^ this used to grate me too - covered the lower section with a piece of leather to solve it.

Funny you should say that Kip. I did a bit of looking this evening and found a couple of potential causes.

The alarm box was indeed mounted above the glove box and actually the install was quite tidy, however the way the alarm box was mounted meant it could "clap" against the underside of the scuttle tray.

Jay

That's an easy fix then, it's nice when it's that easy :-)

They mounted mine by screwing through to the scuttle! Water getting in eventually stop the alarm working!

Sorted!! Drive to work this morning proved that was the cause of the "clack", was purposely finding lumps and bumps on the road to test it LOL.

Think I might try the fixed bolt through the column mod tonight as I noticed while driving over all the bumps there was a bit too much movement in the wheel for my liking. We continue.... :)

Sure the heated seat relays are behind the passenger rear doorcard. !

Forgot to mention, there were actually three factory fit relays and two fuses up above the heater fan duct, which I am convinced are for the seats in some way....

Jay