24V Renshaw

Renshaw project (probably going to sell / swap)

Yeah the spindles would be brilliant if we can pull that off! :D

Yeah, Graeme's definitely looks right there. I like a uniform gap around the arch like that and the obvious suspension travel is confidence inspiring! I hate it when Corrados are so low the rear wheels start to push forward, making the arch gap look inconsistent. It reminds me of an old Hydroelastic suspensioned Austin Metro that's collapsed!!

Having had the H&R/Koni duo on mine originally, I can second Tony Ack's comments on it being too hard round town, but the pay off is it comes together at faster speeds out on the open roads. It feels sublime :D

My V3s have the best ride comfort of any suspension I've yet experienced in a Corrado, but it runs out of travel very quickly and you get a 911 nose bounce, which irritates me no end. A quick fix would be longer springs from KW but long term I need those drop spindles :D

Looking forward to getting them I must admit.

Fitted new poly front cross member bushes tonight. Having done it in the past and remember it being tricky using a press, I put a bit of thought into it....

Removing the old bushes was easy, hacksaw off the top and they just pop out...

26befca1.jpg

Then once the new bush is copper greased up, simply put a large washer/plate on top of it, feed a long bolt through the washer, bush and subframe. On the opposite side of the subframe put a sleeve large enough to fit over the bush when it pops through and another plate/washer and a nut. Tighten the nut onto the bolt and as easy as pie they pop in. Did all four in about 10 minutes :)

b2746b8e.jpg

Then fitting the smaller mount the principle is the same, nuts, large washers and bolts to press them in :)

3f0b3278.jpg

Will see what difference they make tomorrow on the way to work...

Jay

Loving the angle of attack.

Defo trying this method once i've ordered bushes.

Even with a main dealer sized press, we struggled to change these bushes for powerflex ones of my brother's golf.

Many a bad word was said after they slid/popped out of the press sideways for the umpteenth time.

i'm learning as i go really, only got into DIY mechanics as otherwise i couldn't afford to keep the corrado. Was 28yrs old when i changed my 1st brake pads, always took cars to a garage before corrado.

Am slowly taking it to bits and renewing most of it. :lol:

Yeah I remembered doing mine before with a press and them being like slippery eels.. Hence my method with the washers, it was soooo easy :)

Any chance of a picture of the washer setup laid out in separate bits...? :o

Gotta love a good homemade tool.

I will try and "reconstruct" all the bits again in an assembly style for you on the bench.

The only bit Boost Monkey missed out is the sleeve to allow the bush to pop through.

Jay

Yeah, the sleeve is the only slightly challenging bit I wasn't sure about. Thanks Jay.

After a trip to the breakers on Saturday to lend a hand to Andy (C5 OEM) and collect a lamdba sensor connector, I noticed a little dribble of oil under the car and could smell burning oil while driving. So I had a look around and thanks to the fact I had cleaned up and painted the front of the engine the other week while I had the chance, I noticed the oil (virtually clear) trickling from the oil pressure sensor.

So a new one purchased on the way home and fingers crossed it will stay dry :)

6a851ca4.jpg

Been endlessly swapping around engine mount inserts of different stiffnesses all week while I finalise the hardness for the group buy, so much so that its now a standing joke with the wife that every evening I am going out to "play in the bushes".

Thankfully I have now settled on the perfect balance of holding the engine nice and secure, but not adding any vibration to the car. I took it too far and there was a lot of cabin vibration so I am happy I have found the right level now.

Jay

Good work on those bushes- looks easy as pie!

Here's a pic of mine on Koni/H&R suspension with standard wheels. I love the setup- can feel a little harsh on poor surfaces, but overall they are superb.

I have them in my hands now, need some cleaning up but for the price they are great. No leaks etc..

Question is, do I get the Koni's powder coated the original Yellow, or do I get them black so they look OEM. Likewise with the springs. Green or OEM Black?

Jay

Got to say that if I was starting over i'd seriously look at shocks and springs too, especially in low maintenance non eye catching black, says Mr Yellow spring Inox KWs LOL.

Second here for black. Though I am biased in an OE kind of way.

Looking to replace the suspension on the 8V next year with KW sports. Trouble is that they're pink !

You can be sure as mustard that they'll be getting a good Johnny Cash shake down before being installed though !

Edited by James.

I think black is what these will be getting, won't look as "sexy" in the inner arch shots but will be nicely hidden when you look through the wheels. :)

Black all the way for definite - subtle is definitely the order of the day for a nicely modified car I reckon :)

Thanks for the hard work on the engine mounts, really looking forward to getting them on the TDi!

They are definitely going black.

Maybe with a subtle Koni sticker on them somewhere :)

Your not wrong about the hard work with the mounts. I have changed both the front and the rear mount every night for the last week or so. I have actually ending up pulling a muscle in my chest from doing it!

Jay

Think I have found myself a powder coaters and the bloke is a total petrol head so I am looking forward to getting the suspension done.

Are OEM struts and springs, gloss or Satin black?