lewis1982

Exhaust Sound..

Hi all, Just wondered if anyone can help with my exhaust sound.

im looking at getting the best VR sound possible with a sort of scooby sound if you know what i mean.

I have a 6branch manifold, cat bypass, suitecase delete and miltek system, drilled air box with a k&N, but still doesnt sound as good as some i have heard.

Anyone any ideas?

Thanks Lewis

I have stainless system [cant remember the make , but its an oval stealth quiet system ] . dont know about others on the forum but i think i speak for most of them . The vr has a unique sound . That typical noise of the vr comes from the engine . That is like the vr signature . Sorry if im speaking out of turn but why would you want it to sound like a scooby ?. I live in the southwest .....you see a scooby every ten seconds here , to me they sound like a giant fart goin up the road ! . personaly when the noise comes from the exhaust it normally sounds like a boys car .

i have milltek decat system , sounds allright to me :)

i did have a subaru style exhaust {i.e 4" drain pipe back box} before that but it did my car no good!!

as it sounded to loud and the throtle response was realy bad!!

but did sound abit meatier on idle but the milltek is the 5h1t!!!!

One of my best mods by far has been to stick a BMC induction kit on. Sounds the nuts and still get the VR engine sound coming through.

The vr6 is all about the induction sound over the exhaust sound

Just had a K&N cone on it with a Jetex exhaust system and that noise was enough to make me almost do a man wee every time it went over 4000rpm :afro:

Get someone to drive it past you, or get someone to video you, its a totally different sound outside the car! My mods are similar to yours and I've been told it sounds like this

As above, the 12v VR6 really has a nice induction sound. When I was looking for mine the one car I test drove with a BMC (and a standard exhaust) sounded absolutely fantastic. I'm not sure I'd want it to sound like a Scooby though. Nothing wrong with a Scooby but each car is different and I think it's better to try to enhance the natural sound of the VR6.

i think what the guy meant by scooby is he wanted more of the vr purrrr purrrr enhanced and not to actualy sound like a scooby, is a bmc realy all that?! might have to get one!!

just looked on ebay for bmc cda and there prety expensive! is there one specificly for the corrado vr? or is the mk3 golf vr6 the one to get? cheers...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMC-CDA-Induction-Kit-VW-GOLF-Mk3-2-8-VR6-/310349464378?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item484245033a

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

I believe they do various "generic" BMC's but it's getting a suitable fitting kit that is key... if you speak to Stealth Racing I believe they still sell a complete kit with the right filter and a fitting kit.

I believe there is someone wanting to swap a standard box for a BMC, whether thats them wanting the BMC or standard box i dont know, you'll have to read the post :D

I dont think the BMCs are car specific rather size. I think there's only 2 types. One for 1.3

Edited by Critical_Mass

Yep, you need an 80mm Silicon coupling which BMC don't supply. Only Stealth supply that in the BMCs they sell. They literally buy a meter of 80mm tube and cut a section for you. I'm not aware of any other reseller that does that.

And yep, the BMC CDA for the VR6 is a generic item. There's only 2 choices, below 1600cc or 1600cc and above! :D

To be honest, BMC are the only aftermarket filter maker I have trust in. Sure, it's the same natty peice of oily cotton K&N and the vast number of clones use (which I hate), but BMC put a lot into research and development and their filters produce real results.... such as a 7hp gain on a stock Golf VR6 on Stealth's dyno :D Open K&N cones rob you of that amount usually :lol:

I must admit I like my standard exhaust and airbox on my new car. I removed the intake "trumpet" which has produced a subtle noise. God Im getting too sensible!!! Time to buy a turbo kit I think!!

I find the BMC just a bit too much... though must admit I never fitted the cold air feed. Must try that next..

Think I'm just getting old :) There are times that the noise is quite entertaining but then there's times you want to make progress and not shout about it, if you know what I mean? And unfortunately you hear the car bellow you just know people are thinking "chav.." :|

I thought the BMC was too loud for my liking initially but after an hour i was loving it and still am. Can't hear it when driving around sensibly but hit the accelerator and all hell breaks loose :-)