richlyons

vr6 mpg

hi,

not been on here in ages as ive not had a raddo!! (i had a 1.8 16v ages ago)but ive just sold my 3rd scriocco and been offerd a nice vr6 for a bargain price :)

i was just wondering what the mpg is for them (real world, not what the inertnet says)

im thinking it cant be as bad as my old a4 2.8 30v v6 quattro, which did low 20's round town and just 30 on a run!!

thanks rich

Have a look here http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?58325-MFA-2-Fuel-Economy-What-is-your-reading

Healthy VR6s seem to deliver mid 20 upwards - a lot depending on the driving conditions and style.

Mine has had some new bits recently (MAF and Lambda sensor) that have pushed the regular around town number up from 23 ish to 28 ish and the figure on a longer run is low 30s now.

When I had mine it would do ~26mpg on a mixed commuted to work (14 miles). The most I saw when on an eco drive was 36.5mpg. And when I checked the mfa2 position just before taking off the round after two years of driving it showed 31mpg.

31mpg average for two years? Wow... Thats very good. I hope you still put your foot down once in a while... Vr6 dont like to be driven slow for a big amount of time. (thats what I tell my girlfriend everytime I fill up the tank) she still doesnt understant it.

my usual is 15 mpg but I have 2 miles to work and 2 miles back so cold engine all the way

2 miles to work - get a bike mate :D

I get ~28 around town etc even giving it some boot. Longer runs i get around 32.

But seem to hit a wall around 32mpg, even with really careful driving. God knows how some of you guys get 35-40.

But as above, they're meant to be driving hard. Though Im going to get the words "i need to go to the petrol station" put on my gravestone :lol:

I don't feel quite so bad now - MFA 2 normally shows a shade under 23, though my thermostat's stuck open...

A gentle run yesterday (mostly at 50 in the M1 roadworks, plus some twisty single-carriageway A-roads) gave 29.7 so it's not quite as bad as when I first got it! I haven't got over the novelty of the engine note yet though, so it might sneak upwards a bit when I calm my right foot down :D

32-35mpg in summer and 28-32 mog in winter :)

Why the difference between summer and winter? I'm definitely getting this too. Is it a longer warm up (poorer fuel consumption) period?

Cheers

htc727.jpg

htc728.jpg

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 PM ----------

htc681.jpg

htc684.jpg

30 mile commute on motorway to work and it was virtually all an average speed camera zone,pretty sure this was a thursday afternoon heading home from work.

And it done Falkirk>Northampton>Falkirk on a tank and a half including some mate related hijinks on the way there and almost a solid 80-90(kmph obv)from the borders to my home as it was well after midnight heading home from edition

Very good but you need to check your water level!

Seem to average about 28 mpg mixed driving, about 32 on a run at about 80. Just for reference the Alfa does about 36 mpg distance and that's a diesel, so really the Vr is pretty good.

I once averaged over 40mpg by following a lorry. That was from Heathrow to Basingstoke and I was killing time so I didn't have to go back to the office :) Usually get around 27mpg, but I've just had a bit of work done so hope that'll improve a little now.

well still not seen the car :(

i thought my mate already had it but he doesn't get it till thurs, and my rocco is off on fri

so should be rocking about in it by the week end :)

so should be rocking about in it by the week end :)

Shall we start a book on the mileage you're going to get in the first week? My money's on 18 or less :norty:

Stone

Ah yes, mileage..... MPG uses the wheels..... none standard wheel /tyre profiles will make a nonsense of the dash readings and you can't use brim to brim also as the odometer is registering incorrectly if wheels/tyre combos are not the correct circumference (distance).

And tyres even within a spec eg 215/50x15 will vary by 2cm in diameter between manufacturers. The circumference is Pi times diameter. Thats 3.1415 x 2cm per revolution possible differences.

Have fun. All a bit relative.

Had my all time record in the VR on my drive over to Germany a few months back. Was topped up with a combination of BP Ultimate and Optimax and then did lots of sensible motorway speed driving on the autobahns whilst there. It got to the point where I thought the fuel gauge was on the blink... did approx 340 miles on only 41 litres - normally I'm near empty after 350 miles of admittedly local / town driving.

Ah yes, mileage..... MPG uses the wheels..... none standard wheel /tyre profiles will make a nonsense of the dash readings and you can't use brim to brim also as the odometer is registering incorrectly if wheels/tyre combos are not the correct circumference (distance).

And tyres even within a spec eg 215/50x15 will vary by 2cm in diameter between manufacturers. The circumference is Pi times diameter. Thats 3.1415 x 2cm per revolution possible differences.

Have fun. All a bit relative.

non-standard wheels aside,I more than halved my fuel bill going from a 1.6 auto mk2 to my VR and it routinely does 70 miles to under 10 pounds worth of fuel a day

and my speedo reads within 2mph at 70mph on its 'non standard tyres'

My 'personal best' was 500 miles from a tank when it was standard. On the surface of it that sounds good enough to worry a diesel owner, until you factor in the huge 15 gall tank and then it's only 33.3mpg :D

Interestingly, my 400hp VR6 T averaged 27mpg over 60K miles daily use. Considering that's including the shorter 3.68 final drive as well (more revs for the same mph), I was chuffed with that! I think that can be attributed to the huge midrange torque making 4th and 5th gear overtakes the most common ones and the taller the gear, the better the economy.

I'd be intereste to hear from other VRT owners of their MPG stories :D Speaking of which, where are they all these days?

Both mpgs were calculated the old fashioned way and taking into account the miniscule overall difference tyre sizes make.

My s/c VR works out at around 16-18MPG :(

Good job its not my daily! Although it is at the moment as my daily has no gearbox.