VR6Pete

Hella Radiators

Has anyone had experiences with hella radiators for the corrado vr6?

Good / bad? What's the fit like?

Cheers

Pete

if you can I would as the quality of the denso ones is far superior

Got a source supplier for Denso Marston new one Steve?

Only VW Chris, I enquired a few years ago as they are based in Yorkshire IIRC but they only make the cores and then they ship to a VW company in Germany to assemble. They used to be £125 from TPS but prices have gone silly since!

VR6 radiators are obsolete from VW anyway now Steve, hence why everyone is having to buy from other sources :(

Only VW Chris, I enquired a few years ago as they are based in Yorkshire IIRC but they only make the cores and then they ship to a VW company in Germany to assemble. They used to be £125 from TPS but prices have gone silly since!

Ah, already gone down that route. Yes Shipley in Yorkshire. Yes, tell me about VW prices, given a clutch has gone £120 + VAT to £220 + VAT in 2 years, the rad would have been near £300 now.

Got a secondhand Hella and not impressed with its build quality or build design.

The twin fan cowl does not fit fully fit home but thats how it arrived and as a some parts of the VR6 Andy is/was breaking was botched, I can't say if its the original fitting problem or the bodger that did the replacement job.

Maybe VW Heritage.de will pick it up soon like they've done with the top hose elbow coupling & seal recently. If they do the rad will be reasonable made.

Edited by RW1

My rad has several leaks, the cowel is at the powder coaters and got all new bolts on order from VW, managed crack the elbow off my current radiator tonight, it's in pretty good shape.

Wouldn't mind a new seal and bolts while I'm at it mind....

I've been offered a new hella radiator at a good price, far cheaper than ecp but dont know what do now... Mmmm

We get the rads for the race cars I work on from Marstons, and have offen wondered about talking to them about a alloy rad for the radda. Let me have a talk to someone at work about this, and see whaqt I can come up with

Miles is being somewhat modest when he describes "some of the race cars i work on....." If you can get a rad made up by the level of suppliers you deal with I'd be very interested too fella!

Mark

We get the rads for the race cars I work on from Marstons, and have offen wondered about talking to them about a alloy rad for the radda. Let me have a talk to someone at work about this, and see whaqt I can come up with

I too have used their services for a couple of custom rads.I went to their place in Heathrow,had there guided tour,they showed me their library of patterns for nearly every radiator made !!

Im sure they could accomadate you Vr boys !

Soooo back on subject :) sorta need ale my mind up this week weather or not I should buy the hella one :)

What make are the ECP rads?

Wow. That's cheap. I can get the Hellas for 132 + postage.

I know the ECP ain't cheap but they are tried and tested....

Sorry, I didn't take any pics. It was a pretty good match for the original, maybe a bit thinner. If it helps, I think it was actually manufactured by a company called ARC or something like that.

I fitted it myself, & it was a perfect fit. The only bit of tweaking I had to do was on the mounting brackets for the fan shroud - just needed bending a bit to get the shroud to locate properly.

Cheers,

Robbo

Sorry, I didn't take any pics.

Finally found pics on another topic.

Couple of Q's....

1) Does it take the top coupling elbow like the original for the top rad hose?.

2) Is the radiator fan thermoswitch fitted in the same position as the original ie. down by the bottom corner edge of the battery?

:) no worries mate

The only thing I do see is it being a little shorter than the original? Would this cause any issues with the top radiator L shaped mounts at all?

If the sensors are indeed in the same location, I will probably take a pun and buy it, will take some photos etc... for your reference, I'll only be doing

Pete

Physical fit is one thing but the fact most pattern rad's i've seen are slightly thinner with less cooling fins than the original is slightly worrying, especially on a Car like the Corrado which needs as much cooling capacity as you can get!

What about the 670mm A/C rad - still available?

Physical fit is one thing but the fact most pattern rad's i've seen are slightly thinner with less cooling fins than the original is slightly worrying, especially on a Car like the Corrado which needs as much cooling capacity as you can get!

What about the 670mm A/C rad - still available?

Would be interesting to see what running temp people are getting with aptten part radiators.... However, maybe newer designs are more efficent these days, like with everything.... house radiators are thinner these days and more efficent, computer CPU heatsinks are generally smaller and are more efficent, so why not with car radiators? speaking from a pure logical point of view :)

Pete

Would be interesting to see what running temp people are getting with aptten part radiators.... However, maybe newer designs are more efficent these days, like with everything.... house radiators are thinner these days and more efficent, computer CPU heatsinks are generally smaller and are more efficent, so why not with car radiators? speaking from a pure logical point of view :)

Pete

Vince at stealth racing fitted A nissan radiator (can't remember details) to mine last year. He said it was a good quality alternative and a straight swap. Needle sits bang on 100 deg all the time eccept occstionally going slightly higher in traffic on particularily hot days. Only thing I did notice was the highest fan setting seems to come on more often than it used to.

edit: actually sits at 90 deg, just noticed I'd read gauge wrong

Edited by GusPW

Mine runs waaay cooler (coolant & oil) since the new rad was fitted). Mind you, the old one was leaking & had hardly any fins left!

All mounting points / fittings & switch fitted exactly as the OE one.

Cheers,

Robbo

Mine runs waaay cooler (coolant & oil)

What were the typical changes in actual temps with the water & oil ?