Robbo149

Cheapo ebay ISV probs

Was gonna post this in BrambleVR6's thread, but thought I'd best not hijack :-)

I bought one of those £50 ISVs off ebay to replace my old one, as the revs had started dropping off when coming off the gas. Anyway, I fitted it a few weeks back, but it then idled really high (1500 rpm) & pulsed up & down constantly, even when warmed up. Does this sound like a duff one? or did I do something wrong? I fitted it exactly as the old one & it was the correct part. I ended up cleaning & refitting the old one - it's a little better, but still not right.

Cheers,

Robbo

Should idle higher for a few seconds, then settles down. Sounds like it's duff- send it back! I bought one of these a couple of years ago for a previous car, and it worked perfectly.

Cheers Cazza - I took it for a good run after fitting, hoping it would settle down but it didn't. Sounds like a duff one then. I'll send it back & try another.

I did wonder if I should have done an ECU reset?

Cheers,

Robbo

Shouldn't need to do an ECU reset when replacing the ISV... definitely get it sent back mate!

Im on my second one and this ones worse. pulsing at 2000 revs where the first one was 1500 pulsing.

I tryed some wd40 in the first one but it made no differance. I bought mine a few month back n havent got round to sendin it back, a hope he takes it back.

I got mine from theairflowmetercompany. Emailed them yesterday & they're gonna replace it no probs. Had mine quite a while before I got round to fitting it too.

I had exactly the same pulsing issues with my one - wonder if it's a dodgy batch?

I'll let you know how I get on with the replacement.

Cheers,

Robbo

It might not be the new ISV thats at fault, chances are its now working ok but something has been setup wrong to try and compensate for the slowly failing old ISV like maybe the throttle body is set incorrectly? I'd be giving everything a good check before you end up with another ISV and still have the same problem? Just a thought.

The ecu does have a isv adaptation... If the old one was no good and now you put a new one in, the ecu will still use the same adaptation values on the new one. +1 for a ecu reset

Cheers guys. Would have made sense to do a reset I guess, but I didn't think it would need it. Already sent it back for replacement, but I'll disconnedct the battery when I fit the new one.

Just one question - Do you HAVE to do the VCDS basic settings thing after a battery disconnect & if so, does the shareware version allow you to do this? (sorry, that's 2 questions :-))

Cheers,

Robbo

Yes you do have to do the vag com bit... I would say more important the the battery reset it self. Shareware version of vagcom doesnt let you do basic settings

Replacement arrived today & this one has a slip of paper in which says to turn the ignition on & off 3 times after fitting (without starting the engine). I'm guessing this refers to throttle body resetting on DBW cars? & isn't applicable to the Corrado?

Cheers,

Robbo

Replacement arrived today & this one has a slip of paper in which says to turn the ignition on & off 3 times after fitting (without starting the engine). I'm guessing this refers to throttle body resetting on DBW cars? & isn't applicable to the Corrado?

Cheers,

Robbo

Have you installed the new isv and done a ECU reset, if so hows it running ?

Mines a 2.0 16v 9A engine, is the ecu reset the same for this engine or is it even possible ?

Edited by stereoflaver

Mines a 2.0 16v 9A engine, is the ecu reset the same for this engine or is it even possible ?

- No battery disconnect.

VCDS:

- Engine 01 ECU controller,

- Select Basic Settings on Group 000,

- Blip the throttle for engine to 3,000 rpm,

- Leave idling for 1+ minute.

- Group 000 field 9 should be or acheive value 5.

- Exit Basic Settings.

Have you installed the new isv and done a ECU reset, if so hows it running ?

I have fitted it, but haven't done the full ECU reset yet - been sorting a couple of bits of bodywork. I have had the battery connected & had it running briefly & it definitely seems ok now.

Bodywork's done now, so hopefully I'll get a bit of time at the weekend to get the C out on the road & test it properly.

Cheers,

Robbo