eugopnosaj

Lambda Sensors

I think my lambda sensor is on the way out, Vagcom gave me error code 00537 - Lambda (Oxygen Sensor) Regulation: 08-10 - Control Limit Surpassed - Intermittent which im going to assume means it'll need replacing.

It might sound a bit naive but I've got a spare lambda from a 16v 9a engine, would it work on my VR6?

Part number for the 16v lambda is 037 906 265 B

I cant seem to find any correct numbers for the VR6 one, and searches online and ebay seem to think that they're suitable for both valvers and VR's.....

Plus, can anyone confirm that this error code means it'll need replacing

Go into messurement block 5 or 6 cant remember. First block is actual lambda values ,after is adaptation in idle and so on. Tell us what values are there

I should write a copy/paste response to topics like this as I seem to do it a lot! I would be careful with that code because it seems to pop up when the MAF has died which is a lot more likely than a lambda sensor going unless you have been recently fiddling with it. Basically the MAF dies which makes the fueling go a bit crazy so the Lambda struggles to control it and it goes past its adaption values so up pops the code, quick way to test the MAF is to unplug it while its running at temperature, if the engine note doesn't change its probably the MAF. You might have noticed your mpg drop a bit if its MAF as well.

Think yours will be the 4 pin MAF as well so nice and cheap! But like floppyman says, check vagcom first before you go buying things! Afraid I can't help with if the valver lambda's fit though.

Indeed sir....

OBD1's "control limit" is + or - 15% adjustment, so as you say, something else is causing the mixture to be too weak or too rich. And it's intermittant because sometimes 15% is enough to bring the mixture back to stoich / lambda 1 / 14.7:1 AFR, what ever you want to call it, and sometimes it isn't. The lambda isn't used at full throttle anyway, so it's only a part throttle thing and not much to worry about, unless mpg is a priority.

Swiftkid, I did read your response on another thread but there's so many different answers its hard to find the correct one! I will do all said tests and post my response on here to see what you think, thanks!

Unplugged the cable to the maf and engine note does change, it goes as if its about to stall. Also its 6 with (but with only 5 cables).4

I updated my VAGCOM to 1.1 and now im getting error code:

00553 - Mass Air Flow Sensor (G70)

29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent

But that might have been due to it being unplugged perhaps?

On measurement block 6 O2 active im getting between 0.961 and 1.016, Idle Adapted Value 1.359, Part throttle adapted value 1.203 and full throttle adapted value 0.852

Also should my idle revs be 680RPM?

UPDATE: I cleared the codes and tried unplugging the maf sensor again, this time there was no noise change...

Edited by eugopnosaj

Yes the error code you getting now is normal due to being unplugged. 680rpm idle thats normal.

But the adapted values are a bit high... Some one correct me but I think its running lean.

Check for any broken pipe... There must be a air leak somewhere

It does sound as if there might be an air leak somewhere. I know the cat needs replacing as its got a few small holes but would that contribute? I need to have a proper look when its a bit lighter.

Is it worth changing the MAF anyway, as i cant be sure whether it is a problem or not, it seemed to change note to begin with, then when i tried it again nothing really happened so im not sure? Or since its not the 4 pin its not going to be cheap?

B313049609BOS.JPG thats what my MAF housing looks like

Some one correct me but I think its running lean.

Yes, its fairly lean.

Tip: I wrote it into the VCDS Label file (021-906-258.lbl) inside VCDS which drives the screen labelling, so you don't have to remember which way. Just check the file contents by using Windows Notepad.

Leak if there is one, is after the MAF but before the throttle usually. Bellows on the curve in the bottom of folds is the place to have a good look.

Edited by RW1

Those part numbers on a google search only gives me the 4 pin sensor (plus housing, and from what i can gather is the same as the OBDII). Unfortunately i need the seemingly more expensive 6 pin sensor :(

Edit:

Also checked up on VagCat for the part numbers for the lambda sensors and the numbers are the same for all engine types, its only the letter that changes ie:

The one ive got in the garage is: 037 906 265 B which is for the 9a and the ABV is 037 906 265 A or E....

So, it could be used im guessing? That's not to say that it works or will work?

Edited by eugopnosaj

Yes the error code you getting now is normal due to being unplugged. 680rpm idle thats normal.

But the adapted values are a bit high... Some one correct me but I think its running lean.

If, or when i find the air leak will the lambda readings alter automatically, or do i have to reset them or similar?

Ok, so after replacing the suspect parts creating air leaks and resetting the ECU i now have values of:

O2 active im getting between 0.961 and 1.016, Idle Adapted Value 0.977, Part throttle adapted value 0.922 and full throttle adapted value 1

Are these better or am I now running rich?

Those are much better.... Slight ritch but very normal ... Those are very good values. Where was the leak then? Did you find anything?

Well the damper box was f'bared completely (see pics), it was taped up by the previous owner when and we retaped it while i ordered a second hand one which i fitted over the weekend, but it was a lot worse than i thought (no sponge inside at all!), also the crankcase breather valve broke so i did a bit of the ol' diy on that, no pictures of the broken valve but broke in the same place as the images on here --> http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?55472-Crankcase-breather-valve..../page2

Is there anything I can do to stop it running rich? or is it always going to be like that due to age/mileage?

No thats it... Dont need to worry about it.all normal.. As long as it stays near the 1.000, up or down 0.100.

The values will change a little bit with changes (different fuels, temperatures).