Sign in to follow this  
chrishill

120mph@5500rpm limit?

just been testing my car on a private road, i got to 120mph with the revs sitting at a steady 5500, and it would go no futher, roads nice and flat, no funny engine noises, but thats all it'd give me. Is that about normal? seems a bit low to me...

Not sure

when i tested mine on private road, i was registering 140mph and 500rpm short of red line.

At the time mine was exhaust and induction kit and 17's

I think you all need to go get a VR and find out some home truths!

chrishill, when you coming out for a spin in mine?

I was doing over 150mph last night still with plenty to go :wink:

Cheers Chris

i was registering 140mph and 500rpm short of red line

thats what i mean, i dont understand why it'd just 'stop' at 5500rpm :? i'd have expected it to hit redline at least, especially as i held it there for a good half mile trying to get a little bit more out of it.

Cheesy - mines got a custom exhaust, K&N and drilled box

Chris - good job theres a good supply of friendly private road owners up here ;) we need to get together about your site soon mate, gimme a shout.

Why should it hit the redline?

A car only hits the redline in top gear if it's massively undergeared...

(Or massively overpowered)

(Or on a rolling road... Or going down a REALLY steep hill...)

i have had my Corrado *2.0L 16v* in germany doing 148mph then i did not want to go any further coz the redline was aproaching. induction kit was too lould lol on full bore. started to get anoying lol

We've heard about your "standard" 2.0 16v before, Chris. We've still not seen any pics of the "standard" 2.0 16v engine under that bonnet tho... ;)

Why should it hit the redline?

point taken, i've not taken any of my previous cars up to anywhere near that speed so i wasnt sure what to expect.

As Dr Mat says, if the engine doesn't have sufficient torque and power to pull the car through the air at that speed, 120mph might just be your lot I'm afraid.

But (and there's always a but!), an old MK2 Valver of mine did exactly the same thing, couldn't even get the book speed of 128mph.....just plain gave up at exactly 120mph almost as if it had a BMW style limiter. A quick trip to Stealth revealed a fuel pump that was 1 bar down.....therefore the car would accelerate normally up to the point where lots of fuel was required at high speeds in top gear.

Fitted a new pump and the needle sailed past 120mph!

Many people only look at the pumps when they're noisy or dead but a seemingly good one could be down on pressure, which won't be apparent until you try and pull the car's top speed!

K

thats worth looking into then, its a shame steath is so far away, i'd realy like to get down there and let them have a butchers!