Sign in to follow this  
Rossco

Rear windscreen washer

Right im tryin to get my rear windscreen washer to work for my mot but when the motor whines nothin comes out of the jet, it does however come out from the bottom of the car just in front of the passenger side rear wheel. Anybody know where the line runs i couldnt see it.

Cheers guys

Not sure, I know you don't have to have a rear wiper but if its there then they will check the blade for wear etc so not sure if they'll also check the washer :?

My rear wash jet does the same - you can hear the motor whine but no water (doesn't leak from anywhere else though) Passed the MOT no probs like that... Infact I removed the water bottle from the boot in my MK1 (didn't want to soak the amp and sub in an accident) had it that way for about three years and never had a problem with the MOT with that either...

Would be interested to hear any clever ideas to get my washer jet working again though...

I know in the past using a bottle of compressed air (available at a good camera shop) and blowing through the tiny hole in the jet has helped remedy simular problems - might be worth a try.

Although Harry if yours is leaking water from in front of the wheel it sounds like the pipe must be routed that way... have you jacked it up and got a friend to do it so you can see where the water comes from? It wouldn't suprise me if the pipe is routed internaly and the water is leaking from a small gap in the body work? I'm only guessing though... let me know how you get on...

My rear wash jet does the same - you can hear the motor whine but no water (doesn't leak from anywhere else though) Passed the MOT no probs like that... Infact I removed the water bottle from the boot in my MK1 (didn't want to soak the amp and sub in an accident) had it that way for about three years and never had a problem with the MOT with that either...

Would be interested to hear any clever ideas to get my washer jet working again though...

I know in the past using a bottle of compressed air (available at a good camera shop) and blowing through the tiny hole in the jet has helped remedy simular problems - might be worth a try.

Although Harry if yours is leaking water from in front of the wheel it sounds like the pipe must be routed that way... have you jacked it up and got a friend to do it so you can see where the water comes from? It wouldn't suprise me if the pipe is routed internaly and the water is leaking from a small gap in the body work? I'm only guessing though... let me know how you get on...

Thats exactly wot i did, i got someone to push in while i had a butchers and it was just dripin out the side of the car near the rear wheel, so its almost their just a wee bit to go. thinkin i might just take the bloody thing off, look a bitty smoother at the end of the day eh??

The pipe runs inside the car along the passenger door sill (with the rear wiring loom) up and across the rear seat pan, its probably just behind the side trim panel but you can see it under there if you remove the seat cushion. Then into the boot space under the wheel arch carpet, goes to rear of wheel arch then up into he body void and out through the rubber gaiter (probly a joint here too but never looked) into the top of the boot lid then down inside the frame to the wiper motor. I've found the joints appear in different places, like the valver has one under the boot carpet, but the vr has a joint up behind the wheel arch void - guess it just depends how long the bits of pipe were when they built it. Sounds like yours have come apart under the boot carpet, tho' mine usually falls off the wiper motor. hth

I had a problem with mine as well....water was being pumnped Ok but not at the screen but straight into the boot. On investigation i found that the Tube was old and brittle, cracked in many places... So I blocked it off in the engine bay.

the best solution would be to run new tubing, that way you'll know that it won't break again....but it is well hidden and I'll be needing to remove carpets seats etc......so for the moment i'll just leave it blocked off on the engine bay. I'll be getting round to it soon.

All i'm saying is beware of doing half a job.

what a shock, mines not worked for ages, finally got round to going to un-block the jet to find it was fine, i'll be looking at the pipe next!