Bs6VR6

Supercharged 2.8 AAA, rebuild needed?

Hey,

The issues with cooling, oil temperatures and misfire just seem to keep coming, I fix one thing, something else goes, etc. It seems endless, so i've decided to stop patching and sort it. I've alway's had big plans for the C, and have been ammassing bits toward restoring her. Now here's the question, I've just bought a 2.8 AAA golf Vr6 engine and gearbox, no auxillaries(sp) I think, but i've replaced most of them on my current anyway so i'll just swap them over. Now I've decided to go with the supercharger as it would work out a far cheaper alternative to a rebore 2.9 N/A route which would cost mega money. The engines got 96, 000 miles or something on it so i was wondering what i should do to ensure it's up to the charger, thinking rings, chains, tensioners, head re-build, anything i've missed? no real rush as the cars drivable, just,looking to get something done every month. Also regarding the supercharger itself, my understanding from other posts is that the Z-engineering one is good, but limited and only available second hand, whilst the, is it rotex v1/v2 are really good with adjustable pulleys, is this correct? looking to get it all done for under £2,000 as i'll be fitting the engine and hopefully charger myself, is this realistic?

Any help or info would be wicked,

Cheers,

Max,

Z-Engineering, forget it. Very hard to get parts for. The ZR2 was the only one that was any good anyway.

Vortech V1/V2, yeah not bad, but you can do better.

Vortect V9, avoid. Not a great partner for the VR6 imo.

Rotrex C30-94 - Now you're talking, but not cheap. Easier to get parts and support though.

Or go turbo :D I mean, I know of a certain gentleman who goes by a name which doesn't sound unlike TishPrick who has a brand new Garrett GT3582R available for a good price :D

Good advice bud but love the sell too if bs6vr6 doesnt want the turbo how much you looking for it so i can maybe think of upgrading. even though mine isnt running yet with the current turbo :(

Thanks for the advice bud, clears things up. I looked at the turbo route, but with teh money i've got and the fact i'd like to do as much myself as possible the charger seemed much more realistic. I'm not really looking for mega numbers, just a nice wedge of usable power, and try and improve the sluggish feeling below 3,500rpm, 240-250 would be superb. also regarding the internals an head, etc. are these going to need replacing?

lilfuzzer, the sills are looking dapper mate, got the headlining and sunroof done as well, looks the bollox with the new pillars and all, i'll try and get some photo's up in another thread!

anyway,

cheers guys,

max

I, sound Max good news yeah email a couple of pics over too

Regarding internals some I would say change them but I would say just give the engine a rebuild with seals, rings and gaskets changed should be enough if you not looking for mega power if you have a look through the forced induction thread ishwick has written a good guide on there and also loads of other advice from others experiences

:)

Edited by lilfuzzer