The only exception is the Stealth dyno days. They feel a lot more relaxed and open.

But Stealth dyno days ARE club / forum days. I organise them for forum and club members, and its those very folks who go to it!! :)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ Steve's post

despite being a complete newbie back in 2008 when I got my C, I made an effort to register with CCGB (Plum had a window sticker so the car already had a history within the club), find out who from CF was near me and ended up meeting up with some local people like Toad in Winchester and other people around that area. Remember having a great BBQ at Tom's before the White VR6 was up and running, and he also came out to help me in the middle of the night when my water pump pulley disintegrated on my way back to Oxford after a friend's wedding.

Met with Rob aka dirtytorque a few times (who still has my tuning books! :lol:) and kept in touch through PMs and emails etc.

Also went to British Volksfest 2008, and made a plea on the forum that my C was in bits and I'd appreciate some company. To my delight John aka dukest picked me up from my doorstep(!) in Oxford, ferried me there and back (for beer tokens) and even let me share his tent for the overnighter. Was upset we had to pay £30 on the door for arriving so late but never mind.

I remember talking to Yan about cylinder head / engine books and tuning guides, and having some sausages and bacon with Yan/Toad/Steve in a little tent :)

So in my own experience I can say that the whole group are a great bunch when you get to know them. Being an outsider is hard in any situation - it's just a component of the society we live in I'm afraid. When you're with your friends you almost "shun" other people (albeit at a subconscious level) and then vice versa when you are in unfamiliar surroundings.

I'm still very much hoping to keep in contact with people through the forum and meets / event days, and I am disappointed I missed the Stealth day due to my birthday weekend and subsequently lacking money!

Edit: I also met the King and Queen of Concours, and Judith very kindly donated me some window glass :salute:

there was a scary bloke with wild hair and crazy eyes chirping on about "US Spec" a lot, but I tried to avoid him... :?

Edited by boost monkey

Can I just say that I met Jim, Supercharged, Pete Griff, chazrad and scarlet_vr6 all for the first time 'properley' at the Stealth day this year and found them all to be easy to approach and chat with. It was obvious they all knew each other but I wasn't made to feel like an outsider. I just had to stick my hand out for a handshake and introduce myself. Combined with scarlet_vr6 saving me after being stranded and what she told me about how great the CCGB was I decided I would be signing up!

I'm hoping that I can get involved, maybe I could take on the role of 'introducer' and I'll introduce new people to the various regulars? :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: @ Steve's post

there was a scary bloke with wild hair and crazy eyes chirping on about "US Spec" a lot, but I tried to avoid him... :?

Picking on a seriously ill flu-suffering person is unfair :lol: Can't even laugh for fear of aching throat :lol:

Regarding the comments made here about ease with which club members can be approached at meets by new members:

The Corrado is really just an entry ticket to a club/place / whatever. Bit like paying the entry fee to a night club. No, seriously. Once you're inside said nightclub, you still have to make the effort to then proceed from there to whatever takes your fancy. Some may find this more difficult than others, no doubt. But that's how mankind works, always has. I for one do try and approach new guys (like I hope I have done with Toohottotrott) but I at the same time do not wish to put on acting, for fear of becoming a dreaded sales person. I detest this modern-day "Have a nice day" greeting attitude that we are confronted with daily. So I don't want to have to push more than is necessary in as far as approaching people.

Equal measures, really, because similarly I too once was faced with the "dilemma" of becoming a CCGB member and then having to make it work for me. Well, it has, I am now on the committee, like to think I am doing something right, as are all my committee colleagues and the many volunteers that kindly support us, as indeed all those that support the club by attending its many and varied meets.

But if you're not prepared to go out a little, then how on earth are you surviving in the real world? :lol: The real world is a far more hostile place. Erm, no, those 2 sentences aren't going to convince anyone are they? :lol:

Anyway, point remains: All need to put in a bit of effort. It's not enough to just walk into a place and expect to be courted like a queen/king/dragqueen (let's not go there), and ye shall find that lasting friendships can and will develop. Then once they have done, don't forget that friendships needs to be looked after. They need constant refreshing, and one way of doing that is by attending meets. :) See, that's where the circle closes, simple.

Tempest

Once you're inside said nightclub, you still have to make the effort to then proceed from there to whatever takes your fancy. [snip] I for one do try and approach new guys [snip] So I don't want to have to push more than is necessary in as far as approaching people [snip] Similarly I too once was faced with the "dilemma" of then having to make it work for me. [snip] Go out a little, then just walk into a place and expect to be courted like a queen/king/dragqueen [snip] Then once they have done, don't forget that friendships needs to be looked after. [snip] See, that's where the circle closes, simple.

I hope you don't mind Eric, I've just condensed/paraphrased your comments above for some of our members with smaller attention spans.

I knew the nightclub/dragqueen theme would get picked up, but surprised it wasn't by Schteve Supercharged :lol:

Yeah, not everyone has the immense attention span that I can muster :lol:, still searching for a suitable car club to join :lol:

Tempest

But Stealth dyno days ARE club / forum days. I organise them for forum and club members, and its those very folks who go to it!! :)

Why do they feel more friendly than normal club event days then?

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

Despite having a friendly and approachable demeanour, perhaps it's the fact you're constantly shouting RAAAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHHH at the top of your voice that puts people off :lol:

Only you get my special RAAAAAAARRRGGGGHHH Tom ;) Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...... you know you love it :D

Why do they feel more friendly than normal club event days then?

God knows mate! :)

God knows mate! :)

normally because its so fricken cold on a dyno day that we have to be close to keep warm, bit like Penguins do

They don't in my experience. They feel pretty much the same to be honest. The first Stealth RR I went to, I hardly knew anyone, and yeh, it was a little awkward. As has been said earlier, it's like with any situation where you're new- you've just got to make the effort and get stuck in.

For me, some of the best meets are the local meets, where you can go for a meal etc. The Air Balloon meets are always great. Bristol Volksfest always has a good atmosphere too, as well as Stanford etc. There have been some absolutely cracking CCGB National Days too, such as the Prescott Hillclimb, Castle Combe etc.

Once you're inside said nightclub, you still have to make the effort to then proceed from there to whatever takes your fancy. I for one do try and approach new guys. I don't want to have to push more than is necessary. I too once was faced with a member and then having to make it work for me. I like to think I support varied meets.

But if you're not prepared to put into a dragqueen once they have done, don't forget that's where the circle closes, simple.

Tempest

I hope you don't mind Eric, I've just rased our members.

edited further for you.

If I remember rightly my first meet was at the Ardleigh Crown in Colchester in 2003 when I didn't even own a Corrado. It would be another 6 years before I ended up owning one! I remember the gasps on here when I told people i'd finally bought one, lol!

I've owned many cars over the years and susequntly joined allot of forums. But this is the only one where I can honestly say that I've made true friends from. Some of whom don't even use the forum anymore.

I think it's good to air out some of this stuff personally. One thing I have noticed is that we don't seem to do much as a forum anymore. I remember the epic Karting days that Nathan (jediknight?) used to organise, so much fun and a great way to get to know people. Maybe something to work on for next year?

Judith; Will do :)

Edited by Pat_McCrotch

I think it's good to air out some of this stuff personally. One thing I have noticed is that we don't seem to do much as a forum anymore. I remember the epic Karting days that Nathan (jediknight?) used to organise, so much fun and a great way to get to know people. Maybe something to work on for next year?

From the forum point of view (and not CCGB) the responsibility for this rests on our members. Some folks have made the effort to organise events / meets this year (and I can include myself in that!) but evidently the vast vast majority don't. In short Neil, if you fancy attending an eastern meet, get one organised mate!! :)

So every ones comments are welcomed except mine? Am I being too sensitive here?

If people read my comments properly they will see that I have not been too critical. I stated that after joining it took rather a long time to receive communication, a process only speeded up by my "badgering" people, as I needed the number for insurance. Fact

Three pms on the CCGB site asking for the number......two still show as unread! Fact

CCGB site not working as regard who to contact, I reported this and it was fixed. Fact

I stated that at £10 the club was good value, despite the problems. Fact

I Gave all due credit to Eric (Tempest) Fact

I also stated that members need to play their part by turning up for events etc. Fact

As for needing my hand holding at events, never in a million years! I talk to anyone who wants to converse with me. And as for a "clique" or whatever anyone wants to describe it as, it happens and it happens in most clubs. Not just CCGB, I did say this!

An example at Beaulieu was my wife and my self being invited into the cafe by members, all going for hot chocolate. We got our drinks, the others had taken all seating around one table, no worries, we sat at the adjoining table, never once did anyone turn around and involve us.

Now I don't have that much of a problem with that, as I said in an earlier comment....just human nature, but don't tell me their is no "clique" or whatever you want to call it.

Eric's analogy using a night club is very apt, but my experience of years of working in them is....people pay to get in, end up acting like a tw*t and get dragged out. Conversation and interaction never come into the equation!

No Eric, I don't expect to be "feted like a lord"

Jim, your closing line was you wanted to see the site and spend time with your "friends". Are new members friends you haven't got to know yet? And I don't mean myself, as has been written here others felt left out. I merely stated that I could see their point......difficult if you are inside.

One thing that did anoy me though was your comment after the show, you asked if anyone fancied convoying down, I saw where you were from and told you the route that we were taking. Yep it was A and B roads. Although my roots are in drag racing, I enjoy turning the steering wheel now and again. A long motorway slog is just for commuters.

Your comment about the journey down, that you put on here after the show was rude, ignorant and as a moderator unprofessional.

I chose, at the time not to answer it, persuaded by my wife who also found it rude.

After this I stayed away from this forum for a long while, as things have turned out, that was a jolly good idea.

I thought all comments were welcome, I thought I was being constructive? It would seem not.

Edited by Toohottotrot

Your comment about the journey down, that you put on here after the show was rude, ignorant and as a moderator unprofessional.

I'm a little confused here - I think you may have misread what I posted. I had never realised I had posted something you had taken as offensive and unprofessional. That is never ever my intention and I'd hope that anyone who knows me would know I'm not like that. I'm going to go back now and re-read the thread as I'm very confused.

Regarding your comments - they're of course welcome. We want the feedback. But I also want to have the opportunity to post feedback and my own opinions.

*edit*

Ah - I see what you mean. I'll PM you to explain and hopefully clear up confusion.

From the forum point of view (and not CCGB) the responsibility for this rests on our members. Some folks have made the effort to organise events / meets this year (and I can include myself in that!) but evidently the vast vast majority don't. In short Neil, if you fancy attending an eastern meet, get one organised mate!! :)

I think that's maybe the issue, too much going on up North and not enough down South recently.

Note: Anything past Milton Keynes is generally classed as the North by Southerners :lol:

If you did something in your neck of the woods, I'd make the trip over and come crash at Reidy's... never enough reasons to go to his, so would be keen for a good excuse to head over that way :)

Eric's said it all really. I think its basically an introvert/extrovert issue. All of us are different, even from day to day so I think its about managing expectations. If you're an introvert its going be more difficult to make as much ground as the extrovert who's right in there from day 1 and thick skinned. Persevere would be my advice and don't give up straight away, you'll soon enough find those who are on the same part of the scale as you or who you just get on with.

I've always enjoyed all the club days whatever format but I think the ones that have something else on offer (like a track day or bigger show) are probably easier for the the newbie as there is something new to talk about and just do in those idle moments. It can be a bit intimidating approaching people who seem to know everything about everything and everybody but on the other hand I'm here to learn and share so thats ok. Try different types of meeting formats too as you'll increase the chance of finding like minded people. My favourites are the drive and a meal ones - or breakfast and a drive and the convoys to a show are always the highlight for me. Getting drunk with people can help break down barriers too!

Having said all that the old hands could probably do more to make newbies more welcome. I like the idea of the old hands helping with introductions.

One thing I always struggle with is remembering names - it takes me ages for them to stick. I know it sounds a bit formal but a name badge or even a card with your name (and screen name) on it in your car might help break a few barriers. I always struggle with the difference between peoples screen names and real names for example. If I knew someone had a certain screen name then it might be easier to talk to them because I'd read a few of their posts so had a bit of background to work into the conversation without them having to volunteer it.

I chose, at the time not to answer it, persuaded by my wife who also found it rude.

After this I stayed away from this forum for a long while, as things have turned out, that was a jolly good idea.

Wooooow... hold on! I'm sure it wasn't meant to come across that way... do you have a link to this thread?

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

If you did something in your neck of the woods, I'd make the trip over and come crash at Reidy's... never enough reasons to go to his, so would be keen for a good excuse to head over that way :)

Always welcome mate!