Sign in to follow this  
petervr6

top speed prob?

If the spindle speed is directly related to the mileage counter, then for every 1000 miles you do, your speedo will record 1100.....

thats a question i asked a while back but no one knew the answer! i guess i should have checked the mileage properly aswell.

at 60mph its hard to see if there is any difference in the speedo...at 70 its more noticeable infatcits near on 10% all the way up to about 120mph indicated.

Well I guess the odometer gets it's input from the same source but perhaps the needle has lost it's calibration?

I had the same thing happen in my MK1 16V, the needle was way out but I drove the car a distance I knew to be exactly 1 mile and the odometer clicked over 1 mile in the right place....so might be worth trying that somewhere. Do a 1 mile point to point measurement with your GPS, if you can?

K

I think the mileometer itself will be more accurate, because it's linear. Clearly the inaccuracy on the speedo (at least in this case) in non-linear.

Also because when they are designing the instruments, the milometer is designed to be correct, whereas the speedo is designed to read +5%, to make sure that it's NEVER reading low. (There's a law that says they can't read low, but no such law effects mileometers.)

so im not the only one to be doing top spped testing down the m25 hey?!?

Ive hit 137 ( indicated ) in my 1.8 16v, on a flat bit. Id say that it felt like about 125-130 max really.

Also hit 136 in my toyota corolla (1.6!) but this was down hill

i hit about 140 just as i went over a small crest before a long down hill section and the car felt like it almost lifted of the ground :shock: :shock: :shock:

was followed by swift application of the brakes back to legal speeds and even swifter changing of the boxers cause they were full to the neck :oops: :oops: :oops: