Critical_Mass

headlight bulb options?

Hi all,

Has anyone tried the "rally spec" headlight bulbs halfords sell? I was considering trying some of these. I have an uprated headlight loom, i have replaced the bulbs, but cannot remember which ones. Im looking at still getting a bit more illumination but without going down the HIDS route. I know they're "not for road use" but i cant see them being overly bright in the Corrado. I was going to fit one bulb and compare it to the existing bulb, see how they differ.

What other brighter bulbs are there?

Thoughts?

In my experience 100W+ mains just generate more heat than the 150% etc (claimed light output increase) bulbs, like the Phillips Extreme, Halfords etc.

with a relayed loom you'll get more volts at the bulb anyway so even 55/60W standard bulbs will be brighter and I found Phillips extreme 55/60w as bright as 80/100W (illegal) bulbs. Oh, and 80/100W or higher will damge your reflectors quicker too from the extra heat.

Ah i dont want to damage the relflectors. Hmmm maybe try the Philips extreme then or the Osram bulbs maybe. Was looking on the net earlier and saw a pair of bulbs for £50 odd. can these realyl be that much better?

I bought the Halfords super brights (apparently equivalent to the phillips extreme) and im pretty happy with them. Along with an uprated loom my headlights give out a white light as opposed to the yellow candles before. Even had random comments about how white they look.

The bulbs were £20 a side but on special offer were bogof.

Uprated loom and Osram nightbreakers i have in mine.Best mod on the car ive made as you can see properly at night.very white clear light patteren which looks even better than some modern day car ones! Wish they still made the reflector part on the headlight as mine seen better days

Really rate the Halfords Extreme Brilliance (or whatever they're called!). They often do them BOGOF too ;) so it works out around £18 for the pair.

I'm liking the Philips Xtreme wottever they are 90% things. Ime, uprated loom on my Mk2, rally bulbs are freakin' bright with uprated wiring, fuses etc, but you also need to bear in mind that they have significantly reduced life compared to normal bulbs. Something like 100 hours burn time total, so not such a good thing if you do lots of night miles. Not so bad on a Mk2 with accessible headlights, but a potential pain in the backside with a C, where bulbs are far more fiddly to swap.

Really rate the Halfords Extreme Brilliance (or whatever they're called!). They often do them BOGOF too ;) so it works out around £18 for the pair.

I got those last winter and I don't know if it's just mine, but they seem to have 'gone off'. They're noticably dimmer than last winter. Or maybe the council just don't clean / replace cats eyes and redo the white lines anymore!

I got those last winter and I don't know if it's just mine, but they seem to have 'gone off'. They're noticably dimmer than last winter. Or maybe the council just don't clean / replace cats eyes and redo the white lines anymore!

Ive noticed that too,i had them in before as they were 2 for 1 last year so i thought why not. Seems they start off very bright and are month or so they lose brightness.maybe its just me! seems osrams are the same as only fitted mine month ago and theyre already fading,still good though!