max west-yorks

arcing on coil pack/HT lead

Hi,

Noticed that there is slight arcing from the coil pack from 1 of my HT leads, I don't know if it makes a difference but it is the port is the one closest to the top of the engine (top row) and to the front of the car.

XOO

OOO

marked X is you were looking directly at it, actually now I've done that it may have been the one below it :bonk:- guessing it doesnt make much/any difference anyway

My question is, is it the lead and/or plug thats nackered, or the coilpack?

Or is just worth the lot, spark plugs are being done regardless

Car is a 94 VR6 (i.e no distributor)

Cheers,

Max

Welcome to the forum! :)

Inspect them all carefully. If there is another vR owner locally with good leads/coilpack, it would be a good idea to swap the lead out to make sure. The coilpack housing can crack all over the place- sometimes you can't see the cracks unless you take it off and give it a really good inspection. You can then cover them with epoxy resin, or preferably just get a new one.

Personally, I'd probably replace the leads anyway- DubPower ones are good and also the Beru ones from vwspares.co.uk are OE quality and won't break the bank.

Cheers,

Whos makes the red leads? - as mine are currently the black ones

I can get hold of a pack with red leads for relatively cheap provided they're good ones to go for!

Also, are the leads and packs interchangeable through all the VR engine varieties or are they specific to each car?

Best thing is when it's dark get a plant water sprayer (water mist) and spray a mist of water over the engine bay in pitch darkness.

If there are any breakdowns in insulation resistance you will soon see them clear as day. If you are just getting them it spots on the coilpack, then as suggested, re-coat the top area in epoxy resin and it should do the trick. I did one once and it's still fine 7 years later.

Jay

Its literally just from one lead on the pack, arcing out, even with a bit of waxoyl (I think, cant remember what I used on it) on it will still arc slightly, will this epoxy resin save me getting a new pack? or should I just get a new pack anyway

Think I'm going to get new leads when I get plugs just because the leads look pretty tired and definitely shouldn't do!

Just to let you know as I forgot to mention and I think its 99% related, car will sometimes hunt on idle for a 1 minute or so after start up, doesnt do it all the time but I'm guessing its due to bad ignition parts

Also idled at a constant 1500rpm this morning which it has never done before

Cheers,

Max

The standard VR6 leads were red, but got a feeling they're only available in black now. DubPower ones are red.

Yeh, epoxy could well save you getting a new pack. Worth a go.

mine does exactly the same from exactly the same place. My coilpack is goosed! i pulled off lead 1 and it pulled the end of the pack off with it :/

oh dear! hope mine doesnt meet a similar fate ;(

Well I've found a really cheap set on ebay, is OEF776 the right part number I'm looking for? Seems too short/not the right format but when googled brings up VR6 HT leads, only £35 posted so hoping its the genuine part num :D

Coil pack is gonna be about £80 but is this the one I'm looking for?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-CORRADO-SHARAN-2-8-V6-VR6-NEW-IGNITION-COIL-PACK-91-99-oblong-plug-type-/300618420511#ht_500wt_969

apparently my last reply hasnt come through

found some leads for cheap but is OEF776 a genuine part number, its not long enough or in the right format as most other parts some I'm guessing not but worth checking with you guys!

Cheers,

Max

OEF776 isn't a VAG part number - the set of HT leads is 357998031. Black Dubpower leads are only £39 delivered though, and highly recommended by many.

Yeh most sets for sale are for distributors, I think the prev owner has used dizzy leads as theyre way too long ha

OEF776 isn't a VAG part number - the set of HT leads is 357998031. Black Dubpower leads are only £39 delivered though, and highly recommended by many.

yeah didn't think it was as it wasn't in the usual 9 digit code!

cheers for that you're a life saver, gonna get a set of these and new plugs ordered, hopefully itll sort it, if not coilpack time :(

Thanks for the info guys

You mean like this?

This is what I discovered on my car when I went to take it for a drive a month or so ago... thankfully had a new / old stock coilpack to put on and it's working fine again now!

Where abouts in West Yorkshire are you? I have a second hand coilpack in my garage you could try? possibly some leads too?

Just in halifax pal HX2

I'll give new plugs and leads a bash and that doesn't sort it I'll get in touch about the pack!

You mean like this?

This is what I discovered on my car when I went to take it for a drive a month or so ago... thankfully had a new / old stock coilpack to put on and it's working fine again now!

Yeah just like that but not quite as frequent as in the vid