Hi people. Recently swapped my little mk1 golf c for a vr6. Pretty fair trade I thort. Anyway it's a K reg aqua blue model, came with no seats as that's what the guy before bought it for. Its got near enough 160k on the clock but sounds good. Slight spark from coilpack but it's in the que of stuff to be done. Front and Rear brakes need replacing :( it's got 312mm brakes on the front which look sick bt could prove pretty expensive. The sunroof decided to give up on me! And the spoiler about 30 secs later. The heater controls are a bit fooked aswell so will be rippin that out soon. There's Gunna be a whole load more to do but il update when I get to it. Here's a few pics of how it's looking at the mo.

d4b78054-2456-9967.jpg

d4b78054-2472-80a5.jpg

d4b78054-2493-e441.jpg

d4b78054-24af-b37d.jpgd4b78054-24c9-5aa0.jpg

That's the car as I bought it. Pretty standard bt not too shabby. Picked up some early grey leathers for cheap cheap in ok condition so chucked them in for now. Had no idea early doorcards were different so set on swapping over the looms in the door for the earlier 1s. Ended up buying a pair of late front cards instead as look a lot nicer imo. d4b78054-288e-ed06.jpg

d4b78054-28b2-989c.jpg

d4b78054-28cc-1204.jpg

d4b78054-28ee-51ea.jpg

d4b78054-2900-4022.jpg

Treated myself to some steelies. They came off a '11' plate beetle which had been upgraded to alloys in the showroom so there almost brand new . Got 8" fronts and 9" rears . Was Gunna get em powder coated but as they were sitting rusting in my garage something had to be done... So I did them Matt black :s

Probly b rolling with hubcaps on tho as they look awsome. Best lookin 1s I've seen and they came with the steels. Bargain

d4b78054-2b03-ba8a.jpg

d4b78054-2b1a-b81d.jpg

Off to start her up now for the first time of the year lol Gunna take coil pack off check it and maybe strip down the spoiler for a lube up.

Cheers for lookin

Happy new year folks

Cheers Imgolfman. Don't see enough banded steels imo.

Right so I took the coilpack off bt couldn't see any major cracks, just looks like some1s caught sumin on the corner .

d4b78054-4db8-44fe.jpg

Then I checked to see if the lead was plugged in properly and this happened!!

d4b78054-4df9-68ca.jpg

So I'm guessing this could cause a spark at the coil end? Explains why it sounds a bit lumpy.

Added leads to the list of stuff to get plus radiator top mounts! Anybody know where to get these?

d4b78054-4ec0-6069.jpg

d4b78054-4eda-ffb0.jpg

Also need rubber bushes for these.

Till the next time

Cheers ben

I had to move the airfilter and pipe out of the way first. Then unclipped two pipes on side of engine so I could get two hands in to wiggle it off. The actuall lead pretty much fell off the end that goes over plug so couldn't get much grip from top

Just get the rad fixings shotblasted/powdercoated. Otherwise try VW, or daves16v has done stainless ones in the past- may be worth giving him a shout to see if he still does them ;)

The rubber bushes for the radiator fixings are no loner available from VW when I last enquired at VW dealership.

Just get the rad fixings shotblasted/powdercoated. Otherwise try VW, or daves16v has done stainless ones in the past- may be worth giving him a shout to see if he still does them ;)

Cheers mate yea il try him . Was thinkin about makin some up but if someone's already done it they'll look 10x better and save me a night in the cold garage . Till then I'll try drill out the old bolts as they both sheared off. Might b able to salvage some spares.

Nice 1

The rubber bushes for the radiator fixings are no loner available from VW when I last enquired at VW dealership.

Thanx dude wasn't Gunna bother as last time I went to them they were useless. Safe

love bannded steels, i wanted some for mine but the local company couldnt do them straight enough and i didnt want to pay posting them away :(

Ben great to see that you are getting this back on the road. Love the wheels they poke more than my schmidts did lol!

Ben great to see that you are getting this back on the road. Love the wheels they poke more than my schmidts did lol!

Cheers mate what schmidts did you have ?

Love the wheels chief ;)

Good work hopefully see in the flesh :)

Nice one man .I think it was Seeing yours that made me get some. Yea ill be happy when I see it off the driveway tbh defo not drivin the gtd to any shows this year :)

Right. Yesterday I changed the leads as 1 broke. Got em from GSF for about 35 quid ( used my ccgb card for trade discount 😄) the first set I got were totally the wrong size!(too long) so went back and swapped for the shorter 1s. Got them fitted and all was good . Checked all the lights and things and seemed all in check too. Fans kick in at 90 deg like it should! There's a rather noisy noise coming from in the engine tho, sounds like the coilpack side. Like a clicky sound. I'm guessing this is the chains? Or maybe the tensioners I've read about . I'll check tonight if it's had them done yet but if not its something I'll need doing!(probly attempt it myself with a couple of mates! Could be fun ! I'll study the wiki page as much as poss lol

Also thanx to 8vmatt for sortin out the new headlight switch, looks beautiful lol. And thanx also to daves16v for the radiator fixings. Nice 1.

Cheers guys

Hd4b7801c-7128-1b97.jpg

d4b7801c-7145-dcc9.jpg

d4b7801c-7156-7ddd.jpg

d4b7801c-716e-b20d.jpg

After having to wait an extra day for the rears , I've got the steels back from getting tyres. 120 quid for 4 good part worns (4-5mm) fitted! They were trying to get them on for 6 hours yesterday. Fair play to the guys there tho, we're pretty determined .! Just need to save for a decent set of coilies now.

Started her up yesterday too. Ran it up to temp and noticed a slight smoking/steaming coming from the cylinder thing located behind the coilpack . There's a water pipe coming from the bottom I think has a tiny hole in. Anyone know what it is? I'll take some pics later if needed.

Cheers ben

Aux water pump.

Nice one mate. Just been home to look and there's quite a bit of water. Took the plug off the top and there's water rising out of the terminal! Wtf.

The rear brakes are done! All looking nice and clean again.

d4b78071-b207-eb04.jpg

d4b78071-b22d-7f23.jpg

d4b78071-b259-f9dc.jpg

Rear wheels are on too. Il put some better pics up when its light! Front calipers and carriers are getting shot blasted this week ready to go on at the weekend. Had a go removing the spoiler motor for a regrease and clean but like I expected, one of the skews broke holding the rubber boot things to the bootlid! Sh!t. Put it all back together as it was getting dark.

Went to GSF to get an aux water pump expecting it to be 60 odd quid! 88 quid!! And that's with trade discount! Crazy.

Also I got a dremmel off eBay . Keep seein on here that people are using em and seem really handy. I got the lithium ion battery one that's meant to last like 6 hours or sumin! Hope it's ok anyway.

Don't suppose any1 has any late grey leather doorcards? I've got early 1s if any1 needs ?

Finally had time to check out the front brakes. The 312s seem ok as the calipers move freely and discs look like they just need a clean up. I'll give them a good goin over with a wire brush tomorrow!

I'll be selling the old wheels if any1 wants them? Don't want a lot for them as they look shiz! There's loadsa tread on the tyres but where they've been sittin there a bit perished. If not I'll pop them on eBay

d4b780da-a2c5-422c.jpg

Track rod end done today. All I can say is F*******k. I had heat, massive stilsons, all the different sorts of penetrating spray I could find and all my strength(I'm not exactly light lol).

Started badly as the ball joint bolt was just spinning the joint😡

I ended up cutting it off after giving up on the grips.

Onto loosening the end from the rod....it was a lot tighter than I expected and didn't get any looser!

Had excess amounts of fire on it most of the time tho and i finally wiggled it off. Only had time to do 1 as was doing other bits at the same time . Other 1s being done fridy. Can't be any harder than this .

Coilies on the way soon so should be able to get it a little lower😝

d4b78038-7556-b4b3.jpg

d4b78038-7579-5f6e.jpg

Also took the rear wiper motor out. It only took 10 mins! That's after reading the wiki thing first 👍. Think I need a smaller grommit as it bulges out a bit but looks a lot better

d4b78038-7665-37b8.jpg