Walesy

F'kin Rust!

Not on the rado, but on my van :( I had a full respray on it last summer, there was rust coming through on all the arches so I had that sorted and the rest painted in the hope that it would keep the rust at bay for a few years, but it's come through again already on the N/S front arch :(

So, is it literally a lost cause, a case of having it sorted every couple of years and having to live with it in between having it done? I live right on the coast, and regularly drive on the sand etc, so to be fair I suppose it's not the ideal situation for staying rust free, or is there a way of fully getting rid of it or at least slowing it down?

Im a bit gutted having spent so much making it look mint last summer :(

There is a way... But you probably need to find a proper guy to do it. Good underseal and good primers, paint. I dont do body work, but we do have a body shop at my workplace, and the guy did explained me it was possible.

its suprising how much rust starts on the back side of the panel etc. Most people will just clean up the exterior surface and paint over it, leaving the inside face rusty

defo shouldnt be rusting through in that sort of time, must be related to the backs of the panels unless youre badly stonechipping them?

id try and get a pair of new wings painted off the car, and fully waxoiled on the backs before refitting..

BTW.. do you know much about T4 values? A friends selling a N reg 2.4 td with 250k miles but recent cambelt.. any idea of value?

Edited by bristolbaron

Yeah, I might go for new front wings at some point, I think it's the only way to just get rid - I'm just a bit shocked to have not even got through one bloody winter before seeing it come through! :(

As for the T4, it depends largely on condition (obviously!) but due to the fact that it's a 2.4 even if it was a minter it wouldn't be worth much, it won't be a TD, the 2.4 are N/A and painfully slow so I'd say around £1200 -£1800 depending on what sort of nick its in.

If I'm honest, I would walk away from the 2.4 unless it's going to used very rarely, in which case it doesn't matter how cr4p it is to drive.

Yeah I'll be taking it back tomorrow, only noticed it today and they're closed, to be fair he did say he never guarantees that the rust won't come back because of where we are it always does, but like I say Im just a bit shocked that it came back so quick :(

It shouldn't have been a poor job either, they've got a good reputation, although I have had a couple of niggles they've been good in sorting them out for me.

most bodyshops offer warrenty on there work for a certain amount of time, iv recently found out that on bare metal you should use an epoxy primer as it inhibits corrosion,

and if you dont use an epoxy the rust may come back alot quicker! i did a good job removeing the rust on mine but i didnt know about epoxy primers when i was doing it :(

ah you live you learn!!

He did use an epoxy primer, and waxoiled it all etc :( strangely though it's only come back on the one arch, the others and the rest of the van are fine.

It's most likely to do with either not getting rid of it fully in the first place (usually bubbles up under the paint)

Or a lack of paint coverage around the edge - seen lots of lazy work over the years where sprayers don't get the gun at the right angle to properly cover arch lips etc, or not even bothering to take wheels off or lift the car up so they can see what they're doing.

Ive dealt with allot of rust over the years and treated it well,no need to cut out sections,the surface needs to be ground down but there will be always pitting you cant get rid of,this needs to be dried out with a hot air gun then treated with kurerust or something similar,then preped and painted.

Arches need to be preped on both sides,then the inner side treated with underseal of cavity wax,done this for years,never had a come back....never!

all down to preparation,bodyshops cut corners to save on time and money and always have done.

just my 2p on this, after years of patching up small bits of bodywork rust, generally unsuccessfully, I'm also sure that drying out the panel before painting is key.

You only get corrosion if there is moisture and I'm pretty sure that steel that has had corrosion will have small amounts of moisture seemingly in the steel itself.

So just removing the rust is not enough, by heating up the cleaned panel first I've had much better results.

The smallest bit of moisture left in the metal causes tiny amounts of new corrsoion that crack the new paint and allow more moisture back in.

cutting out rust and welding in new steel will of course heat the panel, so that process should help chase moisture out of surrounding original steel, just my theory anyway, must be some more info out there on the web.

You could just move to California??

iv used this paint forum for awhile now http://www.autobody101.com/forums/index.php?&sid=a6e776025ab38a51877721ef098c2b6d there very helpful

theres bodyshop pros aswell as guys that do car restoration as a hobby! so they know there stuff! any questions just ask on there, also theres a guy on there with a corrado vr turbo, you can find it in the projetcs section...

Thanks very much for the tips and links fellas, great help as usual - I'm off for a search around those forums right now, I didn't manage to get time to pop to the bodyshop today so it'll be good to have as much info as possible before going to see them.