CorradoWannabe

Going to Emerald tomorrow

I am taking my car to Emerald tomorrow for a mapping session. Right now there's some issues with it's running - so we'll see how much of the day is spent in fault finding / fixing and how much is the car on the rollers with some tweaks to the map.

I've managed to get in touch with biggerbigben and he's advised that the throttle body should be replaced and the throttle cable shortened before a full mapping session - as the current setup was a 'bodge' in his words to get it running. I'm keen to get the stuttering at low revs sorted so still going along tomorrow. I'll be taking some photos and will post up on here afterwards. As it is the first time a mechanic is taking a detailed look at the car I am quite nervous about what they'll find also.

Forecast for tomorrow is interesting! I'll be driving from South West London - round the M25 - up the M11 and then across to Norfolk - and need to be in Norfolk by 10am - should be fun!

Early start tomorrow then! Those rural roads can a bit slow. Interested to hear the results as I've often thought about an engine transplant but been worried about smaller details being an issue.

Edited by 4eyes2wheels

hope all goes well tomorrow, who at emerald is doing the mapping?? if you can ask for Dave to look at it for you as he is the man at Emerald

The weather is foul here at the moment. Take it steady.

Have fun in watton, it's a hole. The burger van next to emerald isn't bad though!

Good luck man! Dynos are scarey things as i was afraid that the engine was going to go pop listening to my engine getting nailed when i had my remap done!

What a day. The drive up was horrific! Why did I not remember that in bad weather the Dartford crossing is a nightmare? Ended up being in stop / start traffic for 1 hour leading up to the Dartford Tunnel and horrible conditions afterwards too. Just as the road opened up and traffic went I had one of my wipers stop working! Very stressful drive - and the A & B roads around the garage had large areas of standing water - with big trucks knocking up spray. It was an experience getting there! Took me over 5 hours!! Thankfully I was the only car booked in today at Emerald and told to just take my time!

As I arrived I had an email from Biggerbigben replying to some questions id emailed him - his advice was to replace the throttle body & throttle cable before doing any remapping - he felt the issues I was experiencing of stuttering & stalling had a root cause of the 'bodge' he'd done with the throttle.

My priority was to get this stuttering sorted - and that was the first thing Dave set about sorting. He looked at the current map that had been set up and commented that some of the settings needed changing drastically - and the person mapping it before was 'making life far more difficult for themselves than it needs to be'. Can't give more details than that i'm afraid! He adjusted a few settings and then did some power runs. The very first run came up with a number of 160BHP! That was alarming - but afterwards Dave said that was a rogue result. He did a number of runs - highest I saw was a reading of 267 @ about 6000 rpm - but some were closer to 240. Dave said that - with the current throttle body & cable - the best set up he could get was with about 255bhp.

After the remap I was given the chance to go for a test drive to see how it ran - and WOW - completely different car. It accelerated so so smoothly. Hard to explain in words - but I'll have a go below! Also, when we hit about 5k rpm there'd be a sudden increase in power - don't know if that was the VVTI or something - but it is nice! Another big improvement was the hesitation - stuttering at low revs, which had been MASSIVELY evident during my 1 hour of being stuck in a traffic jam - was gone totally. The car was drivable and enjoyable all the way through the power range.

So thats the story. Car is now drivable and demo-able to my friends. I know the best of it will only come after the TB & cable are changed - but will have to see when I get a chance to get that done (need to move house and have two very young kids also - so will not be easy)

BEFORE REMAP: growly, savage, brutal, rough round the edges, jerky, kit car like

AFTER REMAP: refined, powerful, smooth, progressive, controlled

It was a good day - both Ben and Dave think fixing the throttle will help hugely - but for now, as it is, I am very happy with the car and had a really enjoyable drive back - apart from being knackered!

Good luck with it all!

Thanks Jim.

PS - when did you get a VR6?? I've been away from the forum for about 4 years - when I left I remember you had sold the G60 and were Corrado-less

255bhp with a faulty throttle cable and body is not to be sniffed at, told you Dave was the man when it comes to re-mapping.

Also, when we hit about 5k rpm there'd be a sudden increase in power - don't know if that was the VVTI or something - but it is nice!

No that's just the R32's natural 'power band'. It really does take off at 5K, with no inlet cam adjustment. It's amazing it pulls so clean round to 7K for such a long stroke engine. The pull below 5K is all because of the inlet manifold and VVT. Without those two it would be completely flat until 5K.

I run mine on a standalone too. I wouldn't mind taking a look at your map if you're willing to share?

Haven't got round to fully mapping mine yet (Dave Walker won't map my brand of ECU) but it can't be far off as it left a Focus ST for dead the other day. And a Focus RS (the 300hp one) really struggled to get past :D

Edited by Kevin Bacon

FishWick - i'm just getting my sister to email over the map - I ended up having to use her PC as I had so many issues with USB to COM lead (why are those always a pain?) - I'll happily share the map with you. What ECU are you running on yours? Engine bay looks a million times better than mine I gotta say!

Attached is the power graphs as well - just got these emailed through today.

Thanks mate! I'm running a DTA S80 because the Emerald can't control Drive By Wire. I didn't want to hack a throttle to get it to work, I wanted it all exactly as VW intended :D I also wanted to keep the Corrado air box for originality :D

Looking at the charts there, you can really see that 5 - 7K kick can't you!! Awesome stuff. Also, looking at the shape of the torque curve, it doesn't look like your intake cam timing has been setup.

What rpm does your intake switch over to the power ports? You can flatten that blue line off a bit and hold more torque by opening the flap later. The transition before 5000rpm should feel more seamless then. I switch at 4400rpm. VW switch it 4000rpm, which is a touch low imo. You should be able configure that in your Emerald's software.

I finally got around to finding the right settings in the Emerland software to take a look at answering your question - I believe you are asking about the RPM for the switch to the VTEC - on the software there is a screen called VTEC switch - and it revealed that right now the settings are:

Output ON Condition

RPM > 2550

TPS > 40%

Output OFF Condition

RPM

TPS

Interesting. The inlet cam is continuously variable, so it seems odd to just turn it off and on like that. It actually comes in a lot sooner than 2550rpm on a standard R32. It's not clear how many degrees the cam is actually advancing with such a basic setting.

If it drives how you want it to, it's not an issue. I was just curious :D

I think last night when looking at the software I saw a 'VVT Map' - but can't remember exactly - let me check and post that up.

FishWick - if I sent you my map file - and gave you the link to the software - would you be interested in loading in the map and taking a look at the settings? It is mostly Greek to me - and with your R32 experience I'd appreciate your view on it :)