JayGT

OBD2 Upgrade

Hello all,

I've been reading up on OBD2 conversions and had a few q's before I take the plunge.

1. All the threads I've seen seem to have been on coilpack engines. Any issues I might have considering mine is a distributor model?

2. I have a VSR which I obviously want to retain however there are specific OBD2 manifolds. I have seen a VSR converted for OBD2 use by cutting/welding of endplates. Is this the only way round the issue?

3. the conversion requires an ECU swap... does this mean I'll lose my stealth remap (and have to fork out for another)

I have thought about going to see Vince but its a bit of a mission for me so want to know all my options before I get in too deep!

Thanks

Jason

Yeah thanks. I've seen the OBD2 conversion guide on here so i know the looms will need to be spliced, manifold/throttle body etc will need changing but the above issues could be deal breakers.

1. All the threads I've seen seem to have been on coilpack engines. Any issues I might have considering mine is a distributor model?

You will need to convert to a coilpack I'm afraid. I don't know if it's mentioned in the OBD2 guide, but from dizzy>coilpack, you will need the following hardware from any coilpack VR6 engine (in addition to the other OBD2 bits):-

1) Upper chain cover

2) Coilpack

3) Cam Sensor

4) Rear cam sprocket and sensor trigger wheel (dizzy is driven off the front cam).

2. I have a VSR which I obviously want to retain however there are specific OBD2 manifolds. I have seen a VSR converted for OBD2 use by cutting/welding of endplates. Is this the only way round the issue?

You should be able to get away with a simple OBD1>OBD2 adapter plate. Say, a 10mm thick ally plate drilled for OBD1 to mount to the VSR, then the smaller bolt PCD drilled inside, if that makes sense? Schimmel sell an OBD1 to OBD2 adapting plate for their short runner intake, so you should be able to get something similar made up.

3. the conversion requires an ECU swap... does this mean I'll lose my stealth remap (and have to fork out for another)

Yep. OBD2 is a completely different ECU. It's like tyring to put a VHS tape into a DVD player ;)

I have thought about going to see Vince but its a bit of a mission for me so want to know all my options before I get in too deep!

What's driving your desire for OBD2 mate? If you get it done professionally at Stealth, prepare for a big bill. Including the remap of the OBD2 ECU to suit the VSR, plus installation of the OBD2 kit, you're looking at a 4 figure sum easily. Are the problems you have worth that kind of outlay?

Cheers for the answer Kev... I've always lusted after an OBD2 VR after driving my mates late Golf... it accelerated like it was running on full cream as opposed to mine which seems more like a bag of nails on a bad day.

In short my car does run a bit rough and doesn't idle very well. I've been through a few MAFs, Lamdas etc and thought I could kill two birds with one stone by converting. Looks like this stone will have to kill 5 or 6 birds!

I suppose i could do it in stages... IE convert to Coilpack get that running properly and then the OBD2 conversion/remap to follow. Just wish i was better with a spanner!

Even converting to just a coilpack requires the same chain cover related changes, loom and ECU! You'd be better off going for OBD2!

Maybe scour the breakers and try and get a late Highline / MK3 engine-loom-ecu package as a job lot, and stick that in? It could just be that your engine is getting a little tired? How many miles on it? It sounded nice last time we met up :D

Well I'm in discussions to buy an OBD2 kit so not so much a problem getting the parts more an issue of whether its worth it for the likely cost!

Don't think the engine is tired... don't know if you remember but I bought that new engine of Double 6's (think that was his name) a few years ago which only had 10k on it... I've prob only put another 20 or 30k on... probably just needs a service and a good going over with vag com but like I said the hankering for OBD2 is there!!

---------- Post added at 08:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

I do agree that it sounds good though! :)

how does OBD2 adapt to different cams - in my case 264s which will be going in (at some point!)? I understand that theres not much difference felt with a standard map and 263s is this the same with OBD2?

OBD2 can weaken or enrich the fuel 25% (compared to 15% for OBD1), so cams won't trouble it but that's not to say it would be optimal. A remap would still give benefits, mainly from tuning the ignition timing map.

OK thanks - looking at the mapping you're doing on your R32 I might see what tweaks you can do on measly OBD2 once its done!