wafers

Corrado Magnum

Don't know if anyone else has heard of one of these before, but it's a little bizarre!

Edited by wafers

I believe there is a previous thread about these.

I wasn't convinced about the thought of a Corrado estate before, but I think these do grow on you little. I'd certainly consider having one to park next to the current C.

My rough translation:

'The Magnum is not going into production.

Based on the VW Corrado, a Sport-Combi-model has been developed. After the decision not to go into series production, both of the first prototypes are now the only examples of this version. Especially for this variant, the name 'Magnum' was protected as a national and international trademark. Both the unique, beautiful, exclusive one-offs, with many special features, are now up for sale. With them will be sold all the rights, technical documents, wind-tunnel test models, construction documents, production tools, TÜV-report and, so far as available, production materials. Also sold will be the brand name "Magnum", protected for cars.

--tech data (it's a slow G60!) --

Minimum bid for the combined package: 3.2m Deutschmarks [approx £1.3m at the last DM exchange rate before the Euro switchover]

Please send written bids to the company Marold Automotive and Systems Engineering GmbH (address)

Closing date for bids is 11th September 1991

Further information available on request by telephoning 054014900"

Amusingly that phone number is still for the same address, but now MAG are known as Farmingtons Group and surprisingly enough they also have an office in Wolfsburg ;) Maybe VW outsourced the design work?

Does this have anything to do with the Corrado pickup? That tailgate is incredibly ugly but it could grow on me...

CorradoPickUp2.jpg

Stone

The Corrado pickup has nothing to do with the Magnum - the pick-up was purely a Karmann "design study" / prototype and example of what could be done.

Pickup was a project by a bunch of apprentices at Karmann, which is why some folk at Karmann (mainly the current curator of the Karmann car collection) do not view this as a true Karmann car, and hence it is no longer located within the museum.

Tempest

i love that corrado estate. one came up for sale a few years ago, for not huge amounts of money. I didnt go for it at the time and have regretted it since.. If one comes up again - i think there may have been about 5? i'd be all over it.