Dr Forinor

Anyone like knives?

I have a thing for knives, the sharper the better! Fixed blade, folding knives, serrations, plain edge, show knives, hunting knives, damascus, I love em all!!

I just ordered this for myself and really looking forward to it arriving;

401376.jpg

A Byrd Wings G10

Anyone else have any knives?

spooky, just been to a company that sell a ****e loads of swords and will be stocking them very soon, they are only imitation ones though as i'm also not alowed near any sharp impliments.

I love my Leatherman's, I know its not just a knife. Always have my sharp work knife with me ( in work time only!).

Also have a nice Smith & Wesson lock knife in a presentation box.

Well, as an ex-chef, you can't beat a Wusthof Classic 8" cook's knife - pull that out of you bag on a dark night and you won;t have much of an argument with anyone!

Guy near me makes knifes and swords for people, quite amazing the stuff he does.

Will see if he has a website, will make custom stuff, not cheap though.

---------- Post added at 12:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:29 PM ----------

http://www.raven-armoury.co.uk/

8vMatt Any pictures of the Smith and Wesson? Which leatherman do you have?

I have the Leatherman Surge, Leather Charge TTi and the Leather Squirt S4 (which you don't get any more, crap really 'cos it's good!)

fendervg Oh, I've heard about the Wusthofs! Any pictures? Specifications of blade material? What did you use to sharpen them (I mean like Japanese stones or something else)?

3corsameal Please do find a website, I'm curious now! Thanks.

I have the Leatherman Charge in black. Awesome work tool.

I'll take a couple pics of the knife tonight for you.

What do you guys use to sharpen your knives? I have a large diamond stone for work stuff but have a Japanese ceramic stone for the kitchen knives. My Mrs doesn't like it if I get carried away sharpening the kitchen knives! She says that they get scary sharp!

Its funny cos I sharpened my mum's kitchen knives and she told me off saying how is she supposed to work with something that sharp.

Currently I am just using a SOG Mini Sharpener, has a diamond section and a ceramic rod (and a firesteel but that's another pyro' story lol).

I am looking at getting the Lansky sharpening system, it consistently works the edge a constant angle and has different stones so you get the best results

http://www.heinnie.com/Accessories/Sharpeners/Lansky-Sharpening-Systems/Lansky-Lansky-Sharpening-Systems/p-93-370-214-420/

(Heinnie is incidently where I bought the knife from amongst many many many other things lol, service is second to none!!)

http://wuesthof.de/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-75/317_view-121/categories-121

I sharpen them with a stone, and then keep them hones with a diamond steel - a few strokes before using them each time will keep them in good shape - also never pu them in the dishwasher!

The Nakiri (japanese rectangular knife) is a great all-rounder, and if you get either this or the cook's knife and and the serrated slicer, you'll never need much else in your kitchen - maybe a paring knife.

Bear in mind that these are professional knives, and correspondingly expensive - but they'll easily outlast you if well looked after.

Cant believe no ones quoted soap from Lock Stock'

Ive recently got into cooking more and preparing food etc, watched a jamie oliver video for different cutting techniques. Like to keep my knife sharp altough its an unbranded knife but all alloy, ie the blade flows directly into the shape of the handle. i only have a sharpening steel tho but it does the trick for now :)

I'd like a decent set of Global kitchen knives, no doubt.. but beyond knives in the kitchen not quite sure what the fascination is with them really.. definitely one of those slightly weird interests, along with firearms! They're implements for hurting / killing people... I'm not keen to have anything like that in my possession thanks!

I'd like a decent set of Global kitchen knives, no doubt.. but beyond knives in the kitchen not quite sure what the fascination is with them really.. definitely one of those slightly weird interests, along with firearms! They're implements for hurting / killing people... I'm not keen to have anything like that in my possession thanks!

^this^

I have a borderline phobia of knives, all started after my mum dropped a knife near my feet a couple of times. Then after telling people I don't like knives they continue to drop them next to my feet by accident! How I still have all my toes intact I don't know, had to jump out the way a couple of times. Told my sister about it, laughed at me then dropped one!

Not like a phobia of them, just very weary of people carrying them!

I wouldn't say I'm 'into' knives but we did get a nice set for Christmas (Judge Sabatier) which I was told were expensive, although now that I have checked, Amazon appears to disagree ^^

x3.

I do have a selection of Global knives and they are excellent. Amazing quality and last for ages if properly looked after.

I can see the fascination with guns though. They are machines and satisfy some people's lust for destruction but like hunting knives, you can't use them for their intended purpose, so I guess they have an ornamental appeal.

I have a set of Sabatier knives. High carbon stainless steel blades. Got them from TK Max for £15 and they do me fine. Never thought of collecting them, I love to cook so i like a nice sharp knife but that's where my interest in them end.

I have a Japanese Nakiri knife that my dad got from Hong Kong but again... that's just for cooking.

I have a world war 2 gurka knife my grandad got given from a real gurka in the war ! I would not want to be on the wrong side of it i know that and also wouldnt like to know what it has done in the past either !! Considering it was left to rot in his garage for years and years its incredibly sharp ! Swiftkid you can pop over if you want ill slice you a bit of watermelon up with it but ill warn you im a bit clumsy haha

Ill stick some pics up later