Dr Forinor

Anyone like knives?

I used to be into firearms but after a few "hiccups" with the law, I'm not really allowed them anymore.

As for Knives, people have tried to stab me a few times.....missed, thankfully! But a mate I was working with was stabbed in the chest, punctured his lung. Blood came out like a hose pipe! One of the girls that worked with us stuck her fingers in the hole until the paramedics arrived....he only just survived.

Amazes me how quick people are to use knives these days.....life has become so cheap! :(

As said before, kitchen knives I can understand. A good quality knife set in the kitchen really enhances the whole cooking experience.

After that though, I just don't understand it. The fact that so many teenagers (and younger) 'pack a knife' these days is the ultimate turn-off, not to mention very sad and very worrying.

Got this bad boy from Debenhams about 4 years ago. If I remember correctly the chap cut through a hammer with one!

What better knife to have in your kitchen than the 'Worlds Sharpest Knife' TM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51108[/ATTACH]

A good friend of mine is a knife maker usually producing loveless style knives. Very talented bloke.

Google I R bailey. Website seems to be down but he has plenty of stuff on british blades

Nah I would never carry a knife with me, the only blade I carry is my Leatherman Squirt and that has a knife that's an inch and a half long but that's more a multi tool, a day hasn't gone by that I haven't used it, very useful indeed.

Like FishWick said, more for the ornamental appeal, but it is a very strange addiction of mine.

Got this bad boy from Debenhams about 4 years ago. If I remember correctly the chap cut through a hammer with one!

What better knife to have in your kitchen than the 'Worlds Sharpest Knife' TM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51108[/ATTACH]

Ha ha, I've got 3 of those, which suggests they are in fact NOT the World's sharpest, or most durable knife....but they are cheap ;)

They can't be proper surgical steel either because they rust :lol:

For proper strength, sharpness and durability you need to use the Samurai sword technique where they repeatedly fold the metal over and over, so it's like several layers of filo pastry, rather than one thick layer. But the cost to craft such a thing of beauty is astronomical.

whats that new ceramic knife blade they now make?

meant to be better than any metal, i'm going to get my goggle out and see what i can find.

Ceramic knives have been around for years. Kyocera makes some good uns. They're extremely hygenic, but then so is PROPER surgical steel :D

Ceramic knives have been around for years. Kyocera makes some good uns. They're extremely hygenic, but then so is PROPER surgical steel :D

they're more brittle though. They can shatter if bent... no good for paring knifes etc.

I've just been looking up samuri sword techniques for making the steel... It's quite fascinating, they have been making hardened Carbon steel since the 13th century! :o

Just YouTube "ceramic knife", one guy basically rests the knife on a pepper and it slices it.

However they are fairly brittle, but the kitchen is hardly heavy duty use anyway.

I have watched lots of Samurai Sword Making Of videos on YouTube, very intriguing. That's how they make Damascus blades also. Except I think a lot more effort, sweat and art goes into a Samurai Sword. Funnily, the law from what I understand is that you are no longer (since 2008 ) allowed a blade (even at home) longer than 50cm except in the case of a Samurai IF it is handmade using traditional methods (for which obviously you would have a certificate proving it) but then those go into the thousands!!! I think the exception is if it has a straight blade then it can be over 50cm, but true Samurai Swords don't have a straight blade.

My workmates are starting to get worried about me, every time they seem me now, I'm looking at some sort of knife....

Edited by Dr Forinor

As a chef I'm particularly fond of my sabatier knife set. I also cherish my leatherman,as it's just as sharp as the kitchen knives!!!:-) Remember the golden rule.. A blunt knife is a dangerous knife, lol..

Its when you get patterns in the metal of the knife, I use to work as a blacksmith and some of the guys would pattern weld knifes, you create a billet which has 2 different types of metals stacked one ontop of each other say up to 100mm high stack. You then fireweld the billet together by using blistering heat and heavy hammer work so the metals weld to each other, once you have your billet you can fold it back upon itself punch holes into or twist it, what ever you want you pattern on the metal to look like.

The affects can be pretty awesome it takes some skill some people have pattern welded their name into the blade.. The edge of the blade is harder than the rest of the knife to make it harder to wear, but the rest of the blade is usually springier as if the blade was used it could shatter.

There are huge variations in the different steels you can use or make, tabaskin steel, carbon steel edge.

Plus firewelding is always good to see :)

Heres an example

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=pattern+welded+knife&um=1&hl=en&sa=X&rlz=1C1LENN_enGB452GB452&tbm=isch&tbnid=ZKWTCTDE4dQnvM:&imgrefurl=http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php%3Fubb%3Dshowflat%26Number%3D1327328&docid=aI95JGcaaBEfoM&imgurl=http://gallery.slackdot.org/d/29767-1/IMG_3280.JPG&w=640&h=480&ei=X6ogT-PoNZO3hAeJnIjrBA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=725&vpy=144&dur=1819&hovh=194&hovw=259&tx=189&ty=102&sig=103797453930270319374&page=2&tbnh=136&tbnw=179&start=18&ndsp=24&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:18&biw=1366&bih=643