swiftkid

Engine swap, MOT time and catalytic convertor

Basically I have a daily I decided to be an idiot with, it was originally a 1997 Suzuki Swift GLS 1.3 8v and I converted it to a GTI from a 1992 without a CAT. Just taken it for MOT and he's failed me on carbon monoxide and told me I need to put a CAT on it, so I told him that it is a pre cat engine. Thats fine, all good and well but I have to prove to him it doesn't need a cat. I have the date of first registration, the vin number of the original car and the engine no. but I'm wondering what would be considered acceptable? I very much doubt he'd take my word for it with a piece of paper and some numbers written on it.

The engine is not registered with the DVLA, but don't worry its insured properly with everything declared. Any help would be much appreciated!

The MoT works on the age of the car, not the age of the engine. The car is later than 1992 so it has to meet the cat emissions test. You don't have a choice.

You can put a newer engine in an older non-cat car and still not need a cat, but not the other way round unless you go through SVA, and trust me - you don't want to be doing a £400 type approval test just to get away with not fitting a cat ;)

Ahh for crying out loud! I thought last year was my year of bad luck, turns out things can get worse.