Overmind

My new 'Rado. It's good to be back..

B E A utiful! Lovely corrado..but the envy really kicked in when I saw a mk2 on your drive as well. I love my rado, but I miss my old GTI 16v a lot.

So last weekend I removed the fuel lines, brake pipes and various plastic clips from the rear floor section, then cleaned the rear floor pan and removed all surface rust, then painted it with a corrosion inhibitor and schutzed it.

d98b3369.jpg

37e512d2.jpg

7408145d.jpg

I have been thinking about removing the rear beam mounting brackets for a while to get them powder coated. However the problem is they are slotted to allow adjustment of the rear beam, so getting them back on in the correct position can be difficult, even if you scribe around them before removal. So I have machined a small spigot and bolted it to the car which will enable me to remount the brackets more accurately, so I only have to rely on scribing marks for axial twisting of the brackets around the spigot. Im happy this method is accurate to half of a millimetre or so, but I will set the wheel alignment up afterwards to be sure.

fb1e6c1a.jpg

4d0b1f53.jpg

The rust in the above picture will also be treated prior to the brackets being refitted.

Next chapter.

Most of the bolts and fixings I should need to put the back end back together..

e5e4abd1.jpg

Cheers.

Bryn.

awsome work. Are those new bolts and fixings or have you had the original parts re-plated?

P.O might have taken "excellent" care of your car... but appears you as the new owner it is going to be going waay beyond excellent.., "OCD" care. Pro work so far!

awsome work. Are those new bolts and fixings or have you had the original parts re-plated?

They are new parts that have been gold zinc plated mate. As the majority of corrado bolts were gold plated from the factory and replacement parts now come with some weird Matt silver zinc coating. I wanted to go for an original finish.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. Progress has slowed as I'm currently on holiday in turkey :thumbleft: lol. But I'll have another update ready next week.

Thanks. Bryn.

Quick update

I have completely removed the bracket for the bias valve from the rear beam mounting brackets. They are now painted and back on the car, im very happy with how they look with the new bolts.

5126492e.jpg

d890a1ac.jpg

I then trial fitted the rear beam so I could start working out the routing for brake pipes and abs wiring etc. Again I am very happy with the finish so far.

bd793195.jpg

36103112.jpg

c2dab625.jpg

I also removed the rear coilovers and gave them a spruce up.

8b5bf9f0.jpg

c5570b98.jpg

The rear exhaust heat shields have been sand blasted and painted with a zinc based paint, this should give them some protection for the future.

07ab6b6a.jpg

8f8dbabf.jpg

c1a7984b.jpg

Next steps:

Clean the fuel tank inside and out

Finish painting the rear arches and refit the shocks

Final fit the rear beam and get the car back on its wheels.

Cheers guys. Bryn.

I see you had a bit of a lie-in this morning Bryn, lol!

Hurry up and get this lot sorted - we've got to do mine yet! It's looking great buddy.

M.

I gave the fuel tank a good spring clean today. I wanted to check the pump and clean out any debris inside as well as removing the years or soil buildup on the outside.

Pump removed

th_4174f3f2.jpg

Inside all spanky clean

959ef7b1.jpg

f2bb2417.jpg

Pump refitted

124569a4.jpg

Exterior all cleaned up

f3faae59.jpg

I love all this work, the fuel tank removal is something I'd like to do.

Cracking car and will no doubt be a top trump

I have been thinking about removing the rear beam mounting brackets for a while to get them powder coated. However the problem is they are slotted to allow adjustment of the rear beam, so getting them back on in the correct position can be difficult, even if you scribe around them before removal. So I have machined a small spigot and bolted it to the car which will enable me to remount the brackets more accurately, so I only have to rely on scribing marks for axial twisting of the brackets around the spigot. Im happy this method is accurate to half of a millimetre or so, but I will set the wheel alignment up afterwards to be sure.

fb1e6c1a.jpg

4d0b1f53.jpg

The rust in the above picture will also be treated prior to the brackets being refitted.

THe locating pins you made, are there some threaded holes on the car already? Did you want to sell me them when you have finished????

There are not any holes there originally, I had to precisely measure and drill my own and then fit a temporary riv-nut (although to be honest the metal is thick enough you could probably tap a thread into it and seal it up with a bolt when you are finished.) I will be keeping these ones, but im more than happy to make you a couple if you are still interested.

Update for tonight:

The rear arches are now cleaned up and the couple of spots of surface rust removed, then red oxide primed and sealed with stone guard and schutz. I also removed the fuel lines from the car (I will be replacing these with 7.94mm kunifer pipe, in my oppinion it looks a lot better and will not degrade in the future.) and I have de-rusted all of the studs that hold the clips for the fuel lines onto the car and treated them.

Next jobs:

Give the floorpan and arches a final coat of schutz

Refit the rear shocks

Fit the rear beam bushes and fit the rear beam

Build the rear beam up and make the brake pipes

Thanks for all the great comments guys.

Did you get that dual circuit AP bias valve in the end Bryn? If not, there's an eBay seller with a good rep on here who does replacement original ones for around the £50 mark....

M.

Cheers but don't want to drill into the car! Looks brilliant what your doing, cars going to be a minter when your done.

What wall thickness is the kunifer pipe please?

I have not bought the new bias valve yet, however I will do soon. There's no going back to the old setup now mate haha :-).

That's fair enough matey, to be honest I wasn't too happy about drilling holes but short of making a very elaborate jig it is the easiest way to retain the original geometry. The kunifer fuel pipe has a 0.71mm wall thickness. I work restoring classic Porsches for a living, and often use this to make up new fuel manifolds for 356 race cars. I find covering it in 8mm PVC washer hose looks quite nice and protects the pipe from abrasion and corrosion while providing a wipe clean finish :-).

Small update.

I have had another load of fastenings plated, these are all original, just cleaned, blasted and replated.

33ed1912.jpg

I have removed the front to rear brake lines completely, both fuel lines and the exhaust from the manifold backwards (found a broken wire to the lambda which I will need to repair at a later date.)

The rear floor pan section is now fully sealed and I am happy with the finish.

f54e7f9d.jpg

Freshly plated handbrake cable guides.

f3f5e226.jpg

86f86cd0.jpg

Offside floor pan stripped, rust repaired and re-sealed

82f81441.jpg

Arches sealed and shocks back on

1aa1bd27.jpg

The rear beam has been removed again so I can fit the new bushes and then it will be refitted and I can build it back up.

fd8feef9.jpg

Won't be long mark, I will finish prepping your rear beam next week. Give me a shout when you are ready to do the other bits.

Update time.

New fuel lines made up and fitted, there's a few small bends in the pic which I have now straightened out.

5c56ac0d.jpg

c77dadc1.jpg

3c74ac64.jpg

Fuel tank back in, just waiting on the proper bolts to come back from the platers

bc7e4f3e.jpg

And the beam is finally back in! I fitted new genuine rubber bushes which turned out to be a bit of a headache, but it's all worth it to see it back in now :)

366b9b6b.jpg

2de3b3d2.jpg

0be41ea5.jpg

Also bolted on the rear spindles, I've just got to modify the new spacer ring that sits behind the disc and fit the bearings and the car could go back on its wheels!

382bf753.jpg

Next jobs:

Modify the rear disc spacer rings

Make the solid brake pipes for the rear callipers and mount them with the abs wiring on the rear beam.

Fit the heat shields for good once the new clips come back from plating

Fit the rear bearings to the new discs and fit to the car

Fit the rear callipers and adjust the handbrake.

Just noticed a shot in the old pictures I can compare before and after :-)

Before

IMG_2057.jpg

After

3c74ac64.jpg

Makes it all worth while seeing that haha.

Thanks.

Bryn.

Really looks like an amazing job, fair play :thumbleft:

Have you replaced everything, or are some parts cleaned up, such as the white brake cable clip and the filter housing?

Thanks mate :)

Most of the parts have been cleaned up, the brake pipe clips have just been sand blasted to remove the yellow staining and grime, they were perfectly reusable so I didn't see the point in buying new ones, same with the fuel filter housing.

Lovely Corrado! Love the attention to detail!

Is that an Eibach brace? If so, what part number is it?!

Thanks mate :)

Most of the parts have been cleaned up, the brake pipe clips have just been sand blasted to remove the yellow staining and grime, they were perfectly reusable so I didn't see the point in buying new ones, same with the fuel filter housing.

Wow!! those plated bolts are fantastic (i'm easily pleased) and really stand out against the black. so have you sand blasted the plastic cover that goes round the fuel filter?

what is the blue pipe and are you putting it back? Have you got any new clips for the metal brake pipes on the beam?

Cant wait to get mine done, had the beam shot blasted and collected parts but not gone any further yet.