Sign in to follow this  
KARMANN

1.8.16V Performance Mods

HI THERE,

I HAVE RECENTLY BOUGHT A 1.8 16V C.IM LOOKING FOR SOME INFORMATION ON HOW TO GET SOME XTRA POWER FROM THE CAR IT IS TOTALLY STANDARD AT THE MOMENT,EXCEPT FOR THE REAR BOX.PREFERABLY MODS THAT ARENT GOING TO COST A BOMB,JUST SIMPLE BUT EFFECTIVE.ALSO ON THE LOOK OUT FOR A LATER FRONT DE-BAGED GRILL WITH LIGHT BROWE. CHEERS :wink:

also...front grill wil be 25 quid...then get full exhaust not just back box.

then air filter..then cams and gas flowed head...and shiny bits

so..exhaust = 300 roughly

cams x2 = 300 min

..err...get a G60 :)

appreciate your reply but i was looking for some tips that were cheap.hardly going to rip out an exhaust thats perfectly good to put in full system.are there any good gains in power to be got from drilling holes in air box?also i was out today and the car seemed to have a bit of power low down and through the gears,but sitting on the motorway around 60-70 and put the foot down barely anything happened so i droped it to fourth still not much except a hell of a roar from the exhaust.then came to a slight incline and the car was really struggling,has this happened to anyone else or could it be from the engine overheating etc??108 degrees

The 1.8 16v likes to be revved so at 60 if u want to get a shift on u should really go for 3rd.

Modding the airbox doesnt make much difference but does give a nice induction roar, theres a guide at the scottish region site that will show u how.

http://www.kf010a4571.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

Where in central scotland are you? maybe I could let you hear the noise mine makes if I dont sell it soon.

hi there,thanks for ur reply.im in airdrie just north of glasgow.where are u from?do u kno if the lack of speed up th slight incline could have been from the engine temp i did drop it to third on the incline box the rear box was doing my head in and didnt seem to move much so just sat behind a 1.4 new golf in fith.

Im at the other side of Glasgow in Clydebank.

If its your oil temp that gets to 108 then that sounds ok, mine gets to that in traffic.

What kind of rear box do you have, if the noise gets to you then I advise staying away from cutting holes in your airbox.

its a Laser back box that is on it.it sounds good around town-possibly not good enough,but when i droped it to third the noise wasnt that good,it was loud and sounded like a banger that needed a new exhaust.wat about induction kits du kno of any that are worth while?

There is only one induction kit I know of and its made by stroeve I think. Its expensive and not really worth it as the metering head is built into the top half of the airbox. This means even if you do get a cone filter under it there wont be much space and you wont really see it that well.

If you like induction noise get a panel filter and follow the instructions on the web page above, cheap, easy and effective.

Something is definately wrong if you aren't getting much response on the motorway when putting your foot down.. even at 90MPH on the motorway, putting my foot down would produce a nice continual push to 120MPH!

Sorry, did I say motorway? I meant private airfield :D

Probably the main fuel pump. Enough fuel for the midrange but not for top end.

My old 16V physically wouldn't go faster than 115mph but a new pump saw the car zoom round to an indicated 140mph (probably only 125 true mph) so it's worth getting it pressure checked.

I wouldn't bother tampering with the induction side of things as the 16V breathes extremely well as it is. Concentrate on the mechanicals instead but the only way you'll get a real difference is by fitting a 2.0 block. Wild cams will just destroy your low end and idle.

Kev

94 Corrado VR6

Kev, when your pump was on the way out was it making a buzzing noise or are they supposed to do that. What other symptoms were there?

Joe M the buzzing sound usually comes from your fuel "lift" pump. It's a seperate smaller pump if i can remember. Are you coming up to Aberdeen tommorow then? Might meet up with you and Paul in my new VR too.

Joe M the buzzing sound usually comes from your fuel "lift" pump. It's a seperate smaller pump if i can remember. Are you coming up to Aberdeen tommorow then? Might meet up with you and Paul in my new VR too.

Its the main pump thats buzzing, ive heard that it can be caused by the lift pump in the tank failing. Ive suspected the pump for a while and have got a new one waiting to go in, the car doesnt really like moving away under 2000 rpm and jumps a bit and I dont know if im paranoid about it or not but it doesnt seem to rev the way id expect it to.

Im allowing about 3 hours journey time tommorow and am leaving here about 10. Ive to give paul a phone when im at Stonehaven and hes meeting me on the road in to Aberdeen I think.

Should be around 1 ish.

Its the main pump thats buzzing, ive heard that it can be caused by the lift pump in the tank failing. Ive suspected the pump for a while and have got a new one waiting to go in, the car doesnt really like moving away under 2000 rpm and jumps a bit and I dont know if im paranoid about it or not but it doesnt seem to rev the way id expect it to.

Im allowing about 3 hours journey time tommorow and am leaving here about 10. Ive to give paul a phone when im at Stonehaven and hes meeting me on the road in to Aberdeen I think.

Should be around 1 ish.

joe i should be finished at europcar by 1pm so should meet you and the 2 pauls too.....are you still able to do that wee favour tomorrow?or are you wanting to leave it til you pick up the new vr

not bad a wee corrado meet in aberdeen eh 8) .....hopefully the fog will have lifted by then

The main pump buzzes a little which is normal, it's when it sounds like it's pumping sand is when it's definitely gone. Mine was actually quiet but it just didn't have enough pressure to meet the engine's fuelling demands at high revs. The only sure way to check it is by pressure testing it. It should deliver at least 75psi (I think). Vince sold a new one for £70 a few years ago but I don't know how much they are now.

The 16v is a fickle little beast, I know mine was but I got it running and idling perfectly in the end by replacing all 8 injector seals, the 4 orange plastic injector guide tubes and the 4 brass seats. I also changed all the manifold gaskets, added K star (mine was a 1.8) and had the injectors flow checked and finally a 'Vince' set up. It was sweet after that, never faltered once. After that little lot it kicked out 149bhp and was standard, bar the K star.

Cheers

Kev

vr6storm, Favour is no prob tommorow, paul said you would either be with him or meet us after you finish depending when I get there.

kevhaywire, I got the pump from £85 + VAT from ECP, I would rather test the old pump first though, is there an easy way to do it something along the lines of how fast should it fill a 2 litre bottle?

Yeah you can just fit a pressure guage at the main inlet on the metering head (the bigger of the two banjo joints) or flow checking can give a good idea of pressure too. You basically pop each injector into a 1 litre measuring tube, set the metering head to deliver full flow to the injectors (can't remember how you do that) and then switch the pump on with a remote switch (bypassing the pump relay). The injectors should flow a litre over a given time, 4 or 5 seconds I think it is. At the end of the time period, stop turn off the pump and see how much fuel is in each tube. Differences in quantity highlight blocked injectors. If they're all level but less than a litre each, the pump isn't dishing out enough fuel.

Cheers

Kev

Sounds easy enough, take ducting off top of airbox, lift the plate thing all the way, then get a friend to plug in a bridged fuel pump relay for the time.

Im pretty sure the injectors are ok as there new but ill give this a go.

Cheers

appreciate your reply but i was looking for some tips that were cheap.hardly going to rip out an exhaust thats perfectly good to put in full system.are there any good gains in power to be got from drilling holes in air box?also i was out today and the car seemed to have a bit of power low down and through the gears,but sitting on the motorway around 60-70 and put the foot down barely anything happened so i droped it to fourth still not much except a hell of a roar from the exhaust.then came to a slight incline and the car was really struggling,has this happened to anyone else or could it be from the engine overheating etc??108 degrees

its not so much as a power gain you get from drilling the air-box more noticable should be improved throttle response and of course a meatier induction roar...........although drilling(swiss-cheesing) the airbox is a cheapish mod its works better if you include a k&N panel filter(£30+ish)although i've got a modded airbox in mine its not swiss-cheesed....my mate has removed the "snorkel" and smoothed as well as enlarged the opening at the front.....once it was fitted the first thing i noticed was a very improved throttle response and the engine pilled a lot harder to the redline