Sign in to follow this  
randal

changing susp springs

The more and more I look at the wagon, the more and more I think it looks like it's sitting too high. So, in the spirit of ritual credit card abuse I'm gonna do something about it. I think the shocks on there will take the lower springs, so i'm thinking about doing a 30-35mm drop.

How much work is involved in taking the old springs off and sticking a set of Eibachs on there instead? I've read a lotta people think the coilovers are the faaaar better way to go, but me needs other toys too :)

TIA

randal

The old shocks will work with the springs..........for a while......but your better off spending your money on some matching shocks after a while cause the standard ones wont last as long with the stiffer springs.

IMO the Koni kit was fantastic value. £380 inc VAT which gives you 4 koni springs lowering car 40mm and 4 koni top adjustable shock.

fitting was easy, if you have the tools. the corrado has some funny size bolts but luckyly my dad collects tools for a living :roll: took about a day to do all four corners but we werent rushing.

all you do is undo the top nut and the bottom nut / nuts and lift the sock / spring out in one. then you need some spring compressors for the fronts but the backs can be pushed down by hand

HTH

Theres a special tool needed for un-doing the a certain nut, but some people use a hammer and chisel to get that nut off, not me though i got the proper tool! 8)

LOL - jedi discovers that he didn't remove that nut at all.. :)

£380 inc vat?? I would just like to point out I got a full set of OEM gas shocks delivered to my door for £72.. :D

£380 inc vat?? I would just like to point out I got a full set of OEM gas shocks delivered to my door for £72.. :D

Would this be because you know someone at SACHS by any chance?

K

You'd imagine I robbed 'em with prices like that..! :)

It just goes to show how much mark-up they make on stuff like this via the normal distributors. I mean, the rear shocks were £12.50 each!

I think we have a group buy on the cards.... :D

Just outta interest, what does this special tool look like? Got me wondering, especially when you say it can be replaced with a hammer and chisel!

Thanks for the advice all, spot on again.

randal

Just outta interest, what does this special tool look like? Got me wondering, especially when you say it can be replaced with a hammer and chisel!

unless the 16v is different to the vr6 you dont need a special tool, just a good tool set

Right, below the top mount, there on the thread of the damper there is what acts like a nut, its round with two slots cut out, i think it might be refered to as a threaded bush, i think the koni's have their own spring platform and use a nut instead, which explains why you may not have encountered it, but i did as i was changing over just the springs.