BILLCOR

Buying a Laptop MAY UP THE BUDGET

Our 9yo son needs a laptop for his homework, any advise, not looking to spend to much, say up to £350

Edited by BILLCOR

I bought one from the PC world refurb range, the spec was amazing and is still cheaper than any laptop I have seen even 2 years down the line! Think I spent about £450 and got an i5 processor, prices start from about £480 for the i5's now! *touch wood* I've had no problems with it to this day

We bought an hp g6 after Christmas for £350 With an i3 processor, it's great. I can only see the amd version for that price now though..

I remember when all you had to buy were pencils and rubbers. I had to buy my grandson a laptop for school but got a deal for a refurbished one from a local independent PC shop. Paid £150 for a little Acer notebook that does the job admirably.

Thanks for the replies folks, I know what your saying about the pencils and rubbers Wullie :bonk:

We looked at the notebooks, but think a 15.6 screen would be better (for me to see) I can find loads in our price range, but not sure about the technical side, basically want the best for the least :o

If he's not going to use the computer for gaming then £200-£300 should by you a very reasonable laptop from anywhere to PC world or even tesco. But the chances of him not wanting to play games are slim i Reckon! :lol:

Try this - http://www.dell.co.uk/outlet

Dell second hand/returned laptops. You can get high spec, good looking things for reasonable prices.

for any serious gaming, designing or complicated programs your best bet it to try to get a laptop with a seperate Graphics card with it's own memory. Most laptops have an intergrated graphics card in the mother board that cut's the cost down.

There will be no gaming, he's been warned :hitler:

He already has a 360, a DS-XL and an ipod

http://outlet.euro.dell.com/Online/SecondaryInventorySearch.aspx?rn=8230&SC=lowToHigh&c=uk&l=en&s=dfh&cs=ukdfh1&PLikeId=1_628189_1_761194_1_144178_1_148200_1_127152_1_16426_1_650187_1_642186_1_749190_1_631197_1_649189_1_647187_&Flag=1

there ya go,

Decent laptop, with graphics card, windows home and all the trimmings. That's a middle range machine that should do you fine. If your wanting to compare you could go to PC world with that spec and see how much you could get one for, I reckon it will be in the region of £350ish...

There will be no gaming, he's been warned :hitler:

:lol: good luck with that then! he is a young boy after all... I'm sure he listens to everything his elders tell him ;)

:lol: good luck with that then! he is a young boy after all... I'm sure he listens to everything his elders tell him ;)

Yes, he does actually, absolutely every word

:tumbleweed:

How about this: http://www.ebuyer.com/283159-fujitsu-lifebook-ah530-laptop-vfy-ah530mrsc2gb

Just under £350.00 with free carry case + delivery!!

Ian.

I've got this one and is great for normal use (i.e i'm not a gamer)

My other half is a bit of a tech snob and thought that this would be a good for me. Would reccomend this.

(although I didn't get the free carry case! gutted)

I've got this one and is great for normal use (i.e i'm not a gamer)

My other half is a bit of a tech snob and thought that this would be a good for me. Would reccomend this.

(although I didn't get the free carry case! gutted)

Ok, thanks for that

Dell inspirion, got the old model and my bird has a new one and bot are great.

Wife works with Dells (NHS) she says they are $hitt :shrug: think way may up the budget slightly as it will be used by all of us, not just the young lad, the wife says we dont want refurbished :hitler:

I recomend Dell as well. I have purchased two lappys from them. The first was about 5years ago & still using it now with out any faults the second was an Alienware on an impulse buy but is made well & have had no problems with it. Dell gets the :thumbleft:

the wife says we dont want refurbished :hitler:

You may regret that... I find computers to be something of a waste of money at the best of times.

Also, as I said before the biggest things that will mark up the cost above £350 is a graphics card and fancy processor which your saying you don't need?

Sooo all you need to browse the net, write documents, watch films and listen to music is on the most basic of laptops. All you need therefore in my eyes is a reasonably big screen... And I think you mentioned 15", that's quite small nowadays...

Why do you need to justify spending more than £350?

---------- Post added at 02:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:20 PM ----------

and as far as Dell goes, I've got a 7 year old Dell small business server and all our computers are dell. They seem to do the job! I think the horror stories you hear are sometimes down to poor IT support or bad practise in terms of maintenance.

BILLCOR Antonios wee brother works in dell, i could get you a dell laptop at cost price? I got mine ex display from tesco, a dell m101z, prob too small for your needs but perfect for running vag-com and chucking in the glove box :)

I'd avoid splashing big notes on a brand new one, in 6 months it'll be discontinued and worth about 1/4 what it was new. However, whatever you go for i'd recommend a hands on feel before you buy. Most have the same technology inside nowadays but it's the plastic and screen quality that changes with price. I'd go for a tougher built machine, the dell inspiron 15r is a cheap machine but after a year of opening and closing the plastic around the hinges starts to crack. One to watch out for ;)

elliott