joebloggsVR69

F1 2012 car launches

Unlikely I will be either, too mad about the whole Sky viewing of F1.

Can't really see the point of watching the series this year if I can only watch half of the races on the BBC.

Yes, I know I can watch the Sky shown ones as Highlights on the BBC, but I actually like watching the whole race.

Does anyone know what is happening with the Qualli sessions and who's showing them ?

Dont mean to be rude DudeVR6 but the nose on the FI is ugly as is the Caterham. But both look better than the Ferrari. Will be interested to see how they behave on the track.

I work for the team in the bottom picture, that was hard work getting that car finished in time

Jammy git!!! I was working towards of joining the Bridgestone Motorsport side before we pulled out of the sport. I'm very tempted to send my cv to Pirelli!!! lol.

Yup, but the Renault looks the best out of all the ugly cars - possibly due to colour

---------- Post added at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 PM ----------

DudeVR6- Can you tell us what the purpose of the stepped noses are. Just need some light shining on it and wondering why Mclaren havent gdown this route.

It has to fit within a certain area, shown in the pic above by the dotted lines.

I think it's supposed to improve safety, so the tip of the nose won't be as high as it's been in the past. So in an accident, the other car/driver won't be in the path of the high nose.

Shame that so many teams have gone for this stupid step look.

They say that you get more downforce with a higher nose, so most of the teams have made it as high as legally possible to stay within the regulations, hence the step.

Oh my good god what have they done to our beloved cars.....I know its not a beauty contest but they are hideous :pukeleft:

Anyway with kimi back we now have 7 ex-champions on the grid which can't be bad - stock up those ice cream fridges :D

Hate the fact its gone to Sky but I will still be avidly watching every weekend.

It has to fit within a certain area, shown in the pic above by the dotted lines.

I think it's supposed to improve safety, so the tip of the nose won't be as high as it's been in the past. So in an accident, the other car/driver won't be in the path of the high nose.

Shame that so many teams have gone for this stupid step look.

They say that you get more downforce with a higher nose, so most of the teams have made it as high as legally possible to stay within the regulations, hence the step.

Cheers for the explanation.

Apparently Mclaren have a special "tongue" extension on the floor. I dont know exact details.

Shame we dont have side of views of the other cars, would like to see how close they sit to the floor and the rake of them.

---------- Post added at 07:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:31 PM ----------

Thought people would interested in this. mp4-26 vs mp4-27

http://i44.servimg.com/u/f44/17/24/47/89/compar11.jpg

They are Pug faced, from the Beano or Dandy comics. Can't remember which. A bit goofy looking cars. Very happy the Maclerans don't follow suit. Come on Button and Hamilton in that order!

I can't wait to go to Silverstone. Doing a full 4 day camping stay! Party on!

I've been reading through some of the new rule reg's for this season as well as watching the BBC F1 coverage from the first test in Jarez.

From what I can gather about the nose, see the following pic.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]51451[/ATTACH]

The nose has to fit under a box which is 550mm of the ground, this is to prevent cars being launched over others in accidents, also it makes it safer when the nose of the vehicle impacts near the driver.

I've read that the nose's of the 'ugly' cars have been kept high to allow as much air past. The more air you get past the wheels and around the nose, the more air you have for down force and cooling.

Here's a link to the BBC F1 forum thingy. Gary Anderson will give quite and lot of technical insight into the new season.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/16864721