sam2.0

Upgraded headlight loom

The looms off of eBay work (or at least mine did in the end...) but yes, you get what you pay for.

I bought one for £32.00 on eBay recently as a test loom - more out of curiousity than anything really, although my HL's were in desperate need of brightening! My intentions were to build my own eventually but I needed something as a short term fix in the mean time.

All connectors had to be re-crimped, you could pull them off by hand they were that bad. The piggy back connectors into the relays were removed and re-wired with a better connectors to add strength and illiminate the fussyness at the relay. Grounding was rewired / improved. Wire lengths were a tad short in places, more length was added to make it easier to work with and to allow for better and more tidy conceilment. An aluminium enclosure and glands sealed to IP65 to house relays and fuses was added. Plastic sleeve was removed and replaced with flexible and chemical resistant braided nylon type. Even the wiring diagram included was wrong! Loom was on the car for a week before I replaced with my own hand built high end custom.

If cheap and cheerful's your thing then go for it.

IMO Where your lights are concerned - I'll take quality at a premium any day.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but with regard to the cheap looms through ebay, I believe this is what was fitted to my car when I bought it, and I have an earth somewhere although not investigated fully yet. The relays click as soon as the battery is connected, although the lights dont come on. All lights working as they should when switched on and off, but is it correct that the relays engage with power from battery only? or should they only engage when switched on? Thanks guys.

idealy you want splash /water proof and 4 relays so that if something fails you wont be left with no lights

the ebay jobby will work but its a budget version , if you decide on those stick em in a latex glove to try to keep em dry

quick question on the relayed loom - for the main (full) beam (i will be using one relay), the wire to each headlight is the white with black tracer is it not? This is cut and the relay is connected to both ends ie one spade to the portion connected to the light and the other spade to the end from the loom?