Critical_Mass

VR Overheating

yes the golf vr one and the corrado g60 ones are definitely the same.

before you replace it lift the plastic cover on the left hand side of it as you look at the engine... there is a fuse in there... 50 or 80 amp... cant remember which. i replaced this fuse as it was blown and allowing the fan to stay on constantly

fanrelay.jpg

its the part circled in the picture... part 25

My fans doesnt run constantly. It will come on when the engine is switched off guaranteed, regardless if the engine is hot or cold. But it does go off after 2-3 mins. Sometimes though it will come on for a couple of seconds then off for a second and then back on - its irratic.

Still the black box?

that would be my guess.

check the fuse.

disconnect the connector on the bottom and give the contacts a good squirt with contact cleaner.

Gaz, I have a new genuine 701 919 369 D sender here - can confirm they are indeed black.

My fans doesnt run constantly. It will come on when the engine is switched off guaranteed, regardless if the engine is hot or cold. But it does go off after 2-3 mins. Sometimes though it will come on for a couple of seconds then off for a second and then back on - its irratic.

Still the black box?

That still sounds like a yellow temp sensor issue, or the black box. If the trigger of pins 1 & 4 reaches the right threshold, or what it thinks is right, the fans will come on. Could be an iffy black box if the fans or coming on/off. They were £100+VAT a few years ago. And it does more than just the after run. It governs ALL fan functions.

That still sounds like a yellow temp sensor issue, or the black box. If the trigger of pins 1 & 4 reaches the right threshold, or what it thinks is right, the fans will come on. Could be an iffy black box if the fans or coming on/off. They were £100+VAT a few years ago. And it does more than just the after run. It governs ALL fan functions.

I'm sure that once you swap the brown sensor for a yellow one you should see a difference. Pins 1 & 4 are currently a normally closed switch which opens when the temp is high whereas I seem to remember that pins 1 & 4 in a yellow sensor are normally open but closed when temp is high.

When you switch off the engine the fan controller is currently seeing the wrong signal from the sensor i.e. that the temp is high and therefore needs aux pump and fan run on engaging.

OK, well i'll get it changed this weekend and see how it goes :) Hope it sorts it as the bearings on the fan are starting to wear as its on every time engine goes off.

Well, i thought things would be sorted today. Got a new sensor yesterday, the correct one (black with blue ring), it didnt come with a O ring... not a problem can use the one that came with the brown sensor.

Today i took the brown sensor out and there was no O ring on it, so i thought it was still in the hole and had come off the sensor when i took it out. Put the new sensor in a started the car, no leaks. Took it for a drive and temp gauge works no fan coming on when i turn the ignition off. So i thought great!

Headed home, then temp light started flashing so i thought the original problem had come back. Got home and popped bonnet to find the water level had gone down and water was leaking from the sensor. Took sensor out and had a feel for the O ring in the hole... no O ring.. hmmmmmmm it definately didnt drop out when i took sensor out as id have noticed... wasnt on floor nor in the engine bay - the brown sensor didnt leak. Odd!

Went and bought some O rings from a well known DIY shop... though they are round in profile not flat, but thought id give them a go as i need the car for work ideally. But nope they wouldnt seal either. They're find until i start the car and the pressure goes up. So now a simple O ring is stopping me from using the car and theres the mystery of the missing O ring.

Are the O rings available with out the sensor?

Yes they are, part N 903 168 02, £1.03 + VAT last October.

And they are round in profile, not square.

Edited by RW1

Cheers RW1. They are flat though arent they? ie they'll sit flat against the sensor as opposed to domed (if that makes sense). Hmmm im doubting that'll sort the problem then.

Sorry whats that part no. RW1- cant find it in etka.

Edited by Critical_Mass

If you are searching by part number in ETKA, its N"space""space"90316802

If you are looking at illustrations, its on the 3 way sensor housing showing the temp sensors, item 9.

Yes domed as thay sit against the sensor's lip. The O rings are round, ie. the rubber is round, as well as the ring. It squashes into shape through heat & time.

When I took mine out last October, they were still round in profile as per the new ones I got.

Edited by RW1

Cheers RW1 managed to get one today + a spare -just in case. You are indeed correct they are round and fatter than the ones i tried from DIY shop. THough im sure the one i took off was flat... never mind. Got it sorted now i think. The temp gauge is working and the fans arent as yet coming on every time i turn the ignition off.

THough when i went for a spin the gauge only went up to 70, but a longer run will be the proof in the pudding.

hi all sorry to bring this back up.

Everything has been fine since changing the sensor no problem at all. However this morning something odd happened. I was driving to work, temps were fine - coolant sitting around 80. Stopped in traffic for a minute and i saw steam coming out of the coolant bottle area - not loads but enough. Water temp went up to 90 but then back down to 70 (??) oil was 102 and went back down to 100. Got to work - was nearly there anyway and popped the bonnet to find the coolant cap and popped off and coolant had come out of the tank.

Ive topped it up and put cap back on. So will see how it is on the way home...

Any ideas? Obviously pressure has made it come off - thats what its meant to do. But why, there's been no signs of anything wrong....

Cheers

Gaz

could be that the coolant cap was just loose - i've done that and got worried when a load of water was dumped in the carpark!

Yeah possibly, i hope you're right - suppose the trip home will give me an idea if something wrong if it happens again

:-//

Its one thing after another, at the mo.