vw_john

G60 Oil Filter

Went to euro car parts to get the usual oil service stuff.

looked at the filter when I got home and its really stubby, is this company's making them smaller to accommodate the mocal oil coolers?

or have I got the wrong one? I did ask the guy at euro car parts, and he was sure its the right one.

anyone know anything?

regards

I think there could be two different types the standard tall jobbie one and a stubbie version which ive only seen in white with K&N label it through ebay.....though ive never tried it

have you tried to match it up to your existing filter?

surely having a smaller filter .....well it means less filtration of crap in the oil ? probably fine to use but i would just find a normal tall one G-Ladders do not like dirt is how i see it

I think the OE one has a one way valve in or something or other where as pattern parts don't.

Go to VW for it. It's not expensive.

Its definitely smaller than the existing one. I'm doing changes every 5,000 miles and the last one I bought was a k&n one from ecp. when I looked in it when removed, it had a spring, one way valve?

also, i read on here about a month ago that VW had stopped doing oil filters for the g60?

Ok, so then what is the right one to get as VW are no longer supplying them? Is it a case of tracking down Mann ones at GSF?

go to your nearest GSF with this part number 120VG0170

this will get you a MANN filter with the one way valve in it

heres the description and part comparison from their website

Comparison numbers 037 115 561 VAG

Height 123 mm, Inner Diameter 62 mm, Inner Diameter 1 71 mm, Outer Diameter 76 mm, With one anti-return valve, Thread Size 3/4-16 UNF, Opening Pressure Bypass Valve 2,5 bar

if its the smaller one, they are normally polo oil filters. ive heard of people running them but never quite dared myself.

would have cured the mocal space issue but just not sure if would do more harm than good so didnt bother.

The genuine article (no longer available as previously mentioned) has an uprated NRV (non -return valve) that operates at a higher pressure in an effort to ensure the G-lader remains primed with oil.

The 8v Golf item and many of the OEM type suppliers do contain an NRV but it operates at a lower pressure in theory increasing the chance of possible to damage to the supercharger on start-up.

I have not had any need to check any of the OEM suppliers as yet for a G60 specific item (x-checking part numbers between the mk 2 Golf item and the G60 one) as I still have a couple of G60 ones 'in stock'.

Best guess without looking would be the K&N supplied item as it is more likely to meet the OE spec.

Cool so is that the one with the nut on the end as well (i.e. the original one)?

Right, looks good - will have to try and get a few, so I have them in stock I think.