Chris VR

Ignition issue?

OK, so after a fun 2 weeks blasting about and sorting out various different bits and bobs on the car I have run into my first slightly worrying issue.

Accelerating in first, WOT, as the revs passed around 5000 the car completely lost power for about half a second then was fine again and continued accelerating. When I say power I mean engine power, electrics did not appear to be affected. I drove around a fair bit and managed to recreate the issue once, as far as I can tell at exactly the same rpm, near as damn it, but most of the time it doesn't do it at all. I know I need to get it on the vagcom - have ordered a cablyusbconnectordoohickymajig off fleabay and will get any fault codes asap, but in the meantime have been musing on what it might be. Feels like ignition...coil pack? Any insights you fine learned chaps may have would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Chris

Total cut off of engine power like that can only be the crank sensor. Take it out of the block and check it for swarf build ups.

I would also replace the ignition switch if that's never been done as that can cause weird electrical issues.

OK, so after a fun 2 weeks blasting about and sorting out various different bits and bobs on the car I have run into my first slightly worrying issue.

Accelerating in first, WOT, as the revs passed around 5000 the car completely lost power for about half a second then was fine again and continued accelerating. When I say power I mean engine power, electrics did not appear to be affected. I drove around a fair bit and managed to recreate the issue once, as far as I can tell at exactly the same rpm, near as damn it, but most of the time it doesn't do it at all. I know I need to get it on the vagcom - have ordered a cablyusbconnectordoohickymajig off fleabay and will get any fault codes asap, but in the meantime have been musing on what it might be. Feels like ignition...coil pack? Any insights you fine learned chaps may have would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

Chris

Sounds to me like your coilpack, had a mate with very similar issues on his mk3 golf vr. Did it when warm (96degrees C) would do it for a few seconds then be fine, swapped his coilpack for mine and ran fine, nice easy fix all be it a bit costly. Make sure you get a quality coilpack, his had only been on his car for a year and went belly up.

Thanks for the help guys. I'll have a look at things when I'm off the dreaded night shift. My cable showed up today so should at least have time to grab the fault codes. The ignition switch certainly has potential...think it what's causing my radio to cut out all the time as it seems to come back on when i jiggle the key.

Quick update... Should mention that since posting this the car hasn't cut out again, but I haven't exactly been hooning it around of late, so may still do it. Anyway, finally got round to replacing the ignition switch. After reading several posts on the subject, decided I would try the bent screwdriver method and put it back as it should be - no cable ties on my car!! Of course after an hour of cursing/head scratching/*how has anyone ever managed to do this!!?? moments* it was swiftly smacked off with a flathead and the cable ties were broken out!! =D. Pleased to say my radio now works properly. As for the fault, well finally got it on the VCDS today and it came up with just the 1 fault:

1 Fault Found:

00513 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

03-00 - No Signal

Crank sensor I assume? Also I've noticed people mentioning that the faults they had were old. Can you get a time and date for them somehow?

Either way, loving owning the car! It really is one of those that every time you get out you always have to turn around for a quick perv as you walk away!!

---------- Post added at 3:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 3:00 PM ----------

heh! 8 & ) makes 8)

Yeah the crank sensor only shows up as a fault when you connect VAG-COM up! They sorted that with OBD2.

If starting gets worse and the number of cutouts increase, that's defo a crank sensor on it's last legs. Put some money aside just in case cause they're about £130 from VW!

Hi Pete! Yeah she's an absolutely fantastic car, shaping up so far to be everything I thought it could be! So much more soul than the A3, if considerably more thirsty - but I can live with that! Looking forward to cracking on with the various maintenance tasks and what not. I don't suppose you could tell me what suspension it has on it currently? I'd go have a nose, but my mate has my jack at the moment!

Thanks for the offer Rob, how much would you be wanting? May be worth having as a spare. Do they tend to fail often?

Fishwick, if the sensor always shows a fault with the engine not running, how do you tell if there really is a problem? Will that clear when the engine is running? Assume legitimate faults stay in the memory?

Thanks guys!

=D

Hi Chris, I don't know the brand of suspension fitted, I did also enquire with the previous owner but he didn't know either, I suspect it was fitted by the one before him but we had no records.