imyhamid

Looking for a VR6 steering rack

I just bought one last week from ebay. After looking around for a while I asked the parts guy in my local dealers and he checked the parts numbers to find that the rack on a VR is the same part as fitted to a MkIII Golf GTI. There's loads more of those on the road so more to chose from.......£34 delivered from a breakers.

cheers mate, is it a specific year of MK3 Gti or any year?? Also do you have the part number just for reference.

Cheers Imran

Sorry Imran but I didn't get the part number, just went along with his anything off a MkIII GTI, 16V or 2.0 statement and bought one! Think the one I got was from a 96 car but that's a guess....it's already fitted so difficult to see any markings.

Look at item 330683549030 or 260752189703 on ebay, they're just like the one I bought if that helps.

cheers mate thanks for the help. How has it been since its been fitted? Had a word with TPS today and they gave me a quote for a new one. Wait for it................... £680. I think i will be going the MK3 route

I've no idea how it is......not driven it yet, not really planning to drive it this year if truth be told!!!

However, it feels smooth enough left to right, and unlike my old one the gaiters aren't full of fluid and dribbling on the garage floor, so I guess it's a start.

I had a price from VW, that was never going to happen!

I don't think mk3 racks are the same as Corrado VR6 ones, they may fit and have the same track rods but the Corrado VR ones have a webbed alloy body and the golf ones are the same as the 4 cylinder Corrado ones, a tubular steel body. Whether the racks are totally compatible with the Corrado VR6 pump the jury is out, I know some people who have run 4 cylinder racks on VR's but not the long term results. The VW parts system is not necessarily correct for the UK VR6 Corrado racks either.

It would make sense that the wide track mk3's use all the same PAS components as the VR6 Corrado, as the Corrado VR has basically the same widetrack (plus suspension) but it's not always that straightforward with VW!

I have a VR steering rack in the shed, not sure on postage to Manchester but can find out if you're interested?

Andy

yeh i am mate if you could let me know on price and postage and if you have any pics of it close up that would be great.

Cheers mate

I don't think mk3 racks are the same as Corrado VR6 ones, they may fit and have the same track rods but the Corrado VR ones have a webbed alloy body and the golf ones are the same as the 4 cylinder Corrado ones, a tubular steel body. Whether the racks are totally compatible with the Corrado VR6 pump the jury is out, I know some people who have run 4 cylinder racks on VR's but not the long term results. The VW parts system is not necessarily correct for the UK VR6 Corrado racks either.

It would make sense that the wide track mk3's use all the same PAS components as the VR6 Corrado, as the Corrado VR has basically the same widetrack (plus suspension) but it's not always that straightforward with VW!

The Golf one I bought is webbed alloy rather than steel.

However, it feels smooth enough left to right, and unlike my old one the gaiters aren't full of fluid and dribbling on the garage floor, so I guess it's a start.

That's happened to a couple of my VR racks. You can get an overhaul kit from VW to fix it, which cost me ~£60+VAT IIRC. One of the racks is absolutely perfect apart from the leak, so I was reluctant to bin it and chance the same thing happening again with a s/hand one.

The kit consists of a bearing, some sleeves and a whole bunch of seals.

Img_0016-1.jpg

Img_0017-1.jpg

Thanks for the p/n Kev, might see if I can order one of those the next time I'm in the dealers. Rebuild my leaking one for a spare!

Exactly mate, that's what I'm going to do with my spare! At £680 for a new rack from VW, I think it's worth hanging onto a couple! Just in case supplies dry up completely.