huggy

The "what went wrong with my Corrado today" thread

Well we have the what I did to my corrado today thread so I feel this could be cool, if your c is anything like mine and half the posts I've read you have proberly had windows falling of the rail's, hr leads arcing, abs woes and many more. Why not blow of some steam here and get offered some help?

Discovered a few days ago that neither key opens the passenger door lock. I guess I should have found that when I bought it last year. New handle or retumbling required. Will add it to the list.

flights flashing again and exhaustive blowing

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:42 PM ----------

fog lights....oops

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 PM ----------

exhaust is...damn beer

Discovered a few days ago that neither key opens the passenger door lock. I guess I should have found that when I bought it last year. New handle or retumbling required. Will add it to the list.

Might be worth getting new tumblers all round apparently the pins inside the tumblers can wear down so much the ignition can be turnt with a screwdriver. I think there is a thread on here about it, if its got a good alarm though I wouldn't worry.

100% my fault........lifted the refurbished front crossmember in, all powder coated, new bushes throughout, replacement (eBay) steering rack. Tightening power steering pipes, went for that one last make sure it doesn't leak move of the spanner and cracked the casting of the rack around the pipe fitting!

Snap On flank drive: 1 Steering rack: 0

Checking out eBay for another rack!

That's something like what I would do! It's the gamble is it tight enough???? Just a little bit more....... Bollocks!

Shame though, probably wasn't cheap either!

That's something like what I would do! It's the gamble is it tight enough???? Just a little bit more....... Bollocks!

Shame though, probably wasn't cheap either!

Fortunately it wasn't too much money......didn't stop me feeling pretty dumb at the time though!

I think the paranoia set in the first time around....."That's tight enough"....."Maybe it's not, just one side more on the nut".........kind of paranoia! When I worked for a rally team I had a set of Goodridge aluminium pipe spanners that were perfect as they were only about 4" long so you didn't swing on them quite so much........shame I wasn't using one of those yesterday!

I didn't start from a full car so it's difficult to say how long it would take, certainly within a day but then lots depends on splitting ball joints and track rods etc, it's easy to lose an hour on one nut sometimes isn't it! That's before even considering the steering column pinch bolt.......when we used to do a gearbox swap on an Evo in a 20 minute service one guy was tasked to just do the rack pinch bolt, his job had more pressure than anyone else on the team!

Absolutely nothing today...

Apart from a slight dip in power in 2nd and 3rd gear?? Think it's related to the intermittent temp warning light that comes on one day and stays off the next - Gunk on terminals in the header tank I think (I hope!). Messing with ECU maybe. Thoughts?

Top rad hose on my way to work - alerted by the small cloud forming around my nearside wing when stationary!

I just know my radiator elbow will go when I change it, too. Self-amalgamating tape and the spare coolant I've been keeping in the boot should keep me going for now but I wanted to fit a silicone hose kit and they only make manual ones so I'll have to rig an external gearbox cooler first...on the bright side it's just after pay day and not before! :lol:

Stone

Horrible rubbing noise from the spoiler today. Still works fine but clearly needs some attention. Looks like a new job on the list is to strip it down and grease it. Is there a simple way to do this or do I need to remove the whole unit as per the wiki?

Sunday night VR6 wouldn't start, engine turned over and fired up then cut out straight away. Poked around for a bit then called out recovery man, he poked about pulled out afew wires went in the fuse / relay box pulled a couple of them out put them back in and the car then started up ok. Turned out to be a loose fuel pump relay.

All was well untill today when it rained, only fast wipe worked on the wipers. Had a look at the relays and then looked at some photos of boxes posted on here and spotted my relay 99 in the wrong socket, swapped it over and all works again.

Whilst searching for the wiper solution I learned that the intermittent wipe speed is programable using the wiper switch. I used to wonder why the wiper repeat duration seem to vary every so often, just thought it might have been a faulty relay.

Neil

While changing all front light bulbs for Osram Nightbreaker, I noticed that one little bulb at the top of the rec counter stopped working. Gave it a small knock, and voila, it lighted up ... ;( Means more fun when the weather gets warmer ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

Sunroof would not close using the switch. Closed it manually and now it works. Dont know what caused it but it works fine now.

Drivers window won't open again, last few times I've had the door card off un done the bolts holding the window in place moved the mechanism using the switch and bolted it back up then its a ok for a month, any suggestions?

---------- Post added at 6:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 6:13 AM ----------

I lost my indicators due to a loose relay, was a good laugh though me and my friends were running late when I noticed and didn't have half an hour to spare looking for the fault lol. Felt like I was in the 50's with me arm out the window.

Hi Huggy,

Give it a dab of non-permanent Loctite. Should secure it, while it will still be possible to take off at a later date.

Nothing's wrong today, I just waxed the Corrado, and now it's pouring down ;)

Cheers,

Redfox.

I am loosing my battle with getting rid of all the squeaks and rattles...

On my way to work this morning all was OK, parked outside of work (sun was directly towards my windscreen for most part of today - I'll explain in a a minute), work over, started car and noticed this quite annoying rubbery-like squeak.. coming from within drivers side dashboard. It seems to happen every time I go over a pothole, or even slightly uneven road! Even when I close my door it makes enough movement somewhere to squeak - and dear me it is loud!.

It sounds like a bunch of mice fighting together, kind of rubber-to-rubber squeak? Where that can come from? All was fine for ages. Could direct sunlight could cause such behavior in my dash?

To be honest, dash seems a bit "wobbly" and when I try to push/pull it, it makes that squeak sound. I mean this just manifested out of nowhere - my only explanation contact with sun (?!) but makes no sense. She is a 17+ year old lady, she had enough contact with sun so far. I am a bit puzzled by this.

I am trying to explain myself that there is somewhere a loose screw/bolt that just undo itself causing dash to behave in such way... any insights? I was so thorough in eliminating rattles one by one... just to be faced with such a loud and persistent one... oh dear.

I think Corrado is not a car at all! It is some sort of a life form on it's own, everyday it is a different one... sort of artificial intelligence that manifests from time to time in a completely random manner in order to weed out any weekly designed car owners! ... and I really do not want to be a weak car owner.

[update]: This morning all the squeaks are gone, not a single one! hmmm I really do believe it was the direct sunlight making all the difference. Maybe it warmed up some rubber which soften up and in effect it started to squeak ? I am lost here... will keep an eye, but you see what I mean about my car having life on it's own.

Edited by guildmage

Sunroof would not close using the switch. Closed it manually and now it works. Dont know what caused it but it works fine now.

Likely that one of the comutator contacts has burnt out, thus if the motor stops on this contact it cannot start again

---------- Post added at 8:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:56 AM ----------

Likely that one of the comutator contacts has burnt out, thus if the motor stops on this contact it cannot start again

Might be the start of it going,but I use it a lot and it has not happened since.

I was thinking the control system got its self in mess and thought it was closed even though it was open.