steveewonder32

corrado as a daily, thinking of buying

just about getting the mk1 golf to the stage where its finished and with a bit more time on my hands im thinking of selling my current daily (polo tdi) and get a red rado.

plan would be to lower it on some decent wheels and then just maintain and enjoy it.

what engine do you guys think will give me the best reliability and fuel economy? i know i wont get anything to match my tdi but these two aspects are most important to me. i do approx 300miles a week. what MPG can i expect? is it a bad idea using a rado as a daily?

also any tips for a possible new rado owner / somone looking to buy, will have about 3k to spend

Cheers,

Steve

Edited by steveewonder32

If you're at all concerned about MPG then I'd recommend the 2.0 8v, an average of 35mpg is easy to achieve, rock solid and cheap/easy to maintain.

As for reliability, you'll hear mixed stories, but in my experience (owned various rados for the past 10 years +) they're unbelievably reliable, my wifes current 8v has been her daily for the last 2 years and she covers 300-400 miles a week in it and its NEVER put a foot wrong, it flew through it's MOT a couple of months ago with no advisories despite the fact that we've not done a thing to it all year.

Take your time finding a good one that's been looked after and hasn't been too messed with and it should be fine.

Yep - pretty much what Walesy says. I ran Corrado's as daily drivers for quite a few years (a few 16v's, a G60 and a VR6) and was only ever once let down by one of the 16V's after driving through a small flood and water got into the fuel system. It did sort itself out again and was back on the road but the only time I've ever had to get towed home by the AA in a Corrado.

Get one that's been looked after and not screwed around with (forget about fancy mods, when maintenance and servicing have been sacrificed), and be prepared to do as much preventative maintenance as you can stomach costs wise.. and you won't go too far wrong.

I second what Jim says. My 16v had been abused and then left in a shed for a couple of years before I got it. Although I did alot of work before using it it's like a rolling re-build. Not much fun as its my only car.

And another vote for an 8v Daily, it is without a shadow of a doubt a perfect engine to use for a daily driver, superb economy and excellent in town too.

30 MPG constantly and easily 40 plus on a good motorway journey, standard springs with bilstein B4 Dampers make it a superb ride too. I truly love my 8v :)

ok guys thanks for the feedback, im going to keep my eyes peeled in the hope a minter pops up, not in a rush and iv have rebuilt cars in the past and know about keeping on top of things! 8v sounds like a good shout to be honest,

Steve