bristolbaron

Hate the lack of cupholder in the Rado? I had an idea..

Has anyone got an idea of how to fit one in the front...

Was thinking of putting it under the ashtray and lighter

Looks like you could vacuum form one fairly easily. you can even get the plastic to match.

Nice mod fellow :-) I have one similar but nowhere as neat in construction as yours! Get a group buy on the go as this is a mod that everyone will want. If u can get these made I'll take one!

I guess it is a little bit far back but yes better than nothing, I remove the ashtray and the cup flaps around a bit so i'll definately be doing this when i get driving again :)

Yea that fine as long as its ok with bristol barron i dont wanna steal his good ideas

Of course its okay with me bud! This isn't gonna get done by the end of the week even if it can happen so home made options are better than nowt!

It Really has to be finished in black leather to match the rest of my trim though - Please.

Tell me, is drinking in the car - is that generally done loads of trips by the majority of folk ?

It really does not cross my mind to drink in the car, unless going on a very long trip, but even then I am more inclined to stop and take a break too.

But - as I am no longer smoking and never used the ashtrays anyway, makes more sense to utilise these for cup holders.

Excellent idea.

Wendy, I think leather would be a tricky option if im honest, it was my first consideration as i'd like it in beige. However, you're then looking at two companies, how to finish edges, different sized cup inserts etc.. If it happens, it will be identical in style to the centre consoles plastic which does have that leather graining. It wont look out of place at all.

Looks like you could vacuum form one fairly easily. you can even get the plastic to match.

That would indeed be the plan. If it doesn't look like it was meant to be there it won't happen.

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:30 AM ----------

Okay so a quick update...

I've found a couple of local companies I can approach this week to get an idea of costing. I can't imagine anything other that it being insanely expensive in the UK, but I'll try just in case.

I have also been in touch via the wonders of facebook with an old school friend who is from Indonesia. He has contacts out there who he is sure can help. we're going back and forth with info and i'd need to get a sample out to him.

As a few people now have mentioned mcdonalds cups, in the interest of product design i'm going to force my hungover body to burger king for lunch, just to test the size of their cups. I'm thinking the taper on the side of the cup should be mcdonalds/coke can/red bull can, so all sit snug in thier own section, but only the redbull will hit the base.

I could just go big all the way down, but a rattly red bull size can could be annoying. who knows..

I'll let you know when i hear any more progress!

That looks great, I've got a bit of brushed stainless with a cup sized hole in it fixed in the same place I hadn't thought of putting a tube in to make the can fit better, I might have to now.

As said previously, why not try some of the vinyl stuff from an old sun visor? Its texture and colour would be OE too if you get it from a similar period VW from the scrappy, no???

You used to be able to buy the sticky-backed leather-effect vinyl in metre rolls from Homebase or B&Q - it's called Fablon. Probably a better option than reusing some that's twenty years old, no? There are some hits on eBay if you want to give it a go - it's pretty crap for kitchen units (which is why B&Q stopped doing it) but perfect for small craft bits like this - especially onto a smooth surface.

Stone

Could be worth a try, only thing I'm concerned with is getting a good finish around the front curved edge.

If I'm going to make some to sell they need to be perfect..

Here is my attempt. I used an old broken centre console for the donor plastic, so the 'crackle' pattern matches the other plastics. Only problem is I cleaned it before fitting and now it is blacker than rest. Have to polish the rest of the tunnel cover now!

[ATTACH]60181[/ATTACH]

Here is my attempt. I used an old broken centre console for the donor plastic, so the 'crackle' pattern matches the other plastics. Only problem is I cleaned it before fitting and now it is blacker than rest. Have to polish the rest of the tunnel cover now!

[ATTACH]60181[/ATTACH]

That looks great! I was going to do the same with a centre console, but mine is beige and in good condition so didnt want to cut it up!

I really should get back onto checking with my contact in Indonesia about this..

I'm loving the cup holder! as a non smoker too its perfect to get rid of the grotty ash tray too!

Is there a group feeler thread yet as i will 100% get one of these if its under 20 quid!

I'm interested. Although I keep my car wash/car park change in that ashtray since I got the centre console gauges. Maybe incorporate a coin-holder into it too for good measure. (cheeky)

I have now, as suggested, put up a feeler thread for anyone interested in these. I have samples ready to ship to Asia and will expect info back within a couple of weeks.

Sadly, I have had to do this because of trodden toes, but I hope anyone who's followed this thread will stick with the original and best!

The-Original-Rear-Cup-Holder-group-buy-feeler

Put me down Baz, its only fair to give the cash to the person with the original idea - id forgotten about this thread when i read the other one if im honest. :)

Put me down i know iv sold a few templates but they was sat doin nowt i thought it was a bit of a ****ter doing that tbh mate but i didnt want to comment on the other thread

I've got to be honest, I think you've shot yourself in the foot here a bit. I totally understand why you're not happy, but consider, the last firm update on this idea was 11th March, with a 'not quite got round to it' message on 23rd April. Given the idea was started in January, no surprise people forgot about it.

There was nothing at all to stop a GB feeler going out, as many people requested ages ago, the two things would comfortably ran together meaning a shorter lead time to delivery.

I'd happily have gone for one of yours, but I've already committed to the other. Sorry.