Purple Tom

Potential Corrado TDi available to buy

Hi,

This is a bit of market research on my behalf so if its in the wrong section then mods please feel free to move it.

Some of you probably know about the Corrado TDi that I built about a year ago, for those who don't then the build thread is in my signature if you're interested.

It has become a possibility (and that is all it is at the moment) that I have the chance to build another one. I REALLY enjoyed building the first one, and I learned a lot in the process, so I'd be able to refine and 'hone' things a bit more in the second build.

BUT - as no-one has the need for two Corrado TDi's, I'd be building this one to sell. The spec would be roughly as follows:

- 1994 car, properly registered as a TDi

- Aqua Blue

- 1.9 TDi, standard 90bhp, front mount intercooler.

- Cloth interior

- 288mm front brakes, mk4 rears.

- Standard suspension

- ABS upgrade as detailed in the build thread (basically upgrade to the more modern TEVES20 ABS system with new lines throughout)

- MFA clocks (again as per the build thread of my car)

- Possible powdercoated suspension components

- Fully worked through, fully MOT'd and taxed and ready to go.

- Mileage on the wheel bearings etc would be zero, on the engine/gearbox will be dependent on what the donor car (a Passat B4 TDi) has done.

- Price - I'm thinking in the region of £4000

That is it in a nutshell.

Would anyone be interested in this? I know it'd be a very 'niche' vehicle, but I think the potential for 60mpg in a Corrado might be attractive, particularly as a daily driver.

The other alternative is for me to break the base vehicle, which does seem a shame if I'm honest.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts. Just to let you know, I'm not a company, just an individual so this is purely an idea at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

PS - I've not been on the forum for a while so apologies to those who might've PM'd me...I'll reply soon!

Edited by Purple Tom

Edited the first post. It's all a bit speculative at the moment but what I'm trying to find out is whether its worth building another one!

Insurance is pretty similar to something like an Ibiza TDi 90, Golf TDi etc. Most insurance companies tend to quote based on what the engine is, rather than the base vehicle. Significantly cheaper than a VR6 to insure.

I can see the appeal but I reckon 3k would be pushing it being as 24v'd cars are fetching around that.

IMO most people who've got 4k to spend on buying a corrado before doing any personalising/mods etc would either be willing to pay the fuel costs to run a g60/vr6 etc or use it as a second car anyway.

Nice idea though! I say build it anyway just because you can!

I think you'd be able to sell it to the right person for that money mate. Everyone who has seen it knows you went to fanatical levels of attention to detail - if you could get level of detail through in a good advert on something like PistonHeads, I think it'd sell.

I can see the appeal but I reckon 3k would be pushing it being as 24v'd cars are fetching around that.

IMO most people who've got 4k to spend on buying a corrado before doing any personalising/mods etc would either be willing to pay the fuel costs to run a g60/vr6 etc or use it as a second car anyway.

Nice idea though! I say build it anyway just because you can!

I think i'm with Abdul.. I'm sure it would need to be 4k ish to make it worth doing, however if i were spending that sort of money, I would want a car with a later pd130 conversion. If you have a base corrado needing an engine i'd be tempted to put a standard replacement in. What you have done with yours is bloody brilliant, but i think its a labour of love rather than an investment..

Maybe theres someone out there willing to spend that money, but please dont do it thinking of the money.

I hope i've come across the right way, I hate writing things that could come across wrong!

A well sorted diesel Corrado,mucho mpg,

how many threads have there been,"got to get rid of my C for something more economical "

For 4 grand, sounds the right price to me !

We all know how much they cost to get them how we like them,

Build it

A few questions to answer I think:

- There is a small amount of rust in the rear panel which is going to be cut out and replaced properly. There are some car park dents on both of the doors which will be repaired and it'll receive a decent detail. It won't be 100% perfect in the paintwork department but it will be very presentable.

- Engine wise, I see why you might say a PD would be better. But in actual fact there isn't really any benefit - they're more complicated, expensive to buy, suffer if incorrectly maintained and require lots of electronics to get them to work, including the use of the donor vehicles clocks ideally. Not to mention the inherent difficulty of the engine mounts which require a fair bit of modification to the chassis legs or hefty subframe modifications coupled with turbo changes etc. Admittedly, they're *slightly* more refined, but offer no other benefit. They're even less economical! The VE TDi literally drops straight in, is good for big power (200bhp on standard internals is achievable with relatively good reliability, they will give 170bhp all day long with no bother), allows one to run the standard clocks (in B4 format), standard wiring, etc. I think if I were to provide a VE TDi in 90bhp (non VNT) flavour then the owner can appreciate it as it is to begin with, and then carry out the easy, relatively cheap (sub £1k) mods that give the engine 150bhp/250lbft. That's what I've done with mine and it certainly gives a good appreciation of the bigger output when you only have a small amount to begin with.

- Turn around time, I'll be starting the project within the next month or so and would hope to have it done by July ideally. It won't be done in a month like mine was, but done over a slightly longer period of time with less emphasis on the deadline.

Thanks for the replies, all taken on board :)

I'd say go for it mate, I think it will sell as long as it's done well, which looking at yours it will be!

I'm in the middle of putting a 150 PD engine with a bigger turbo and injectors in my corrado, bolts in on the Rado mounts no need for welding chassis legs etc and I'm using the original clocks ;) Same setup in my bora used to readily achieve 55mpg if taken easy!