P3rks

VR6 Oil Cooler Cover/cap

I'm planning on getting a Mocal oil cooler on the VR and I plan on removing the existing oil cooler at the same time.

I understand I need a specific bolt from merlin motorsport which should screw into an early style cap.

Early caps you can unscrew the thread from, where as late are one piece.

I'm unsure whether my cap on the car is early or late and I don't want to find out it's the latter when the car is in pieces.

I've bought one from ebay which I thought was the early style but when it's come it seems like it doesn't want to unscrew.. Its this style:

a940248f.jpg

Part number is: 021 117 063

Can anyone actually confirm which cap I need to buy?

Thanks

Mate have a spare in box at home I'll check the part number tonight if someone doesn't tel u in the meantime

is there a guide about fitting a different oil cooler etc on here, fancy doing mine, but not sure whether to keep the standard one, or plumb in something else

Hi mata my spare one is in my mates garage. So I will be taking the front end off my car at the weekend anyway so could tell you then or if I get my box off my mate i'll post it then.

Also in the box is the short bolt to remove the existing oil cooler ;)

3corsameal year there is a fitting guide for the sandwich plate but depends what you after. What are your temps now?

Looks like the right one to me

I had trouble getting mine apart, you'll need to put it in a vice and use a pair of stillsons or similar

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

second look at the pic mate if its metal then think thats the right one as sure the later style are plastic (I maybe wrong mind)

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Ah southie beat me to it :)

second look at the pic mate if its metal then think thats the right one as sure the later style are plastic (I maybe wrong mind)

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Ah southie beat me to it :)

Looks like the metal one to me which should come apartwith some gentle persuasion.

Be sure to read the "Sticky" on fitting the oil cooler (at the top of this forum index). You must get the threaded tube in the correct way round or you will wreck the engine through oil starvation.

Best wishes

RB

3corsameal year there is a fitting guide for the sandwich plate but depends what you after. What are your temps now?

ITs been a while since i drove it last, but remember oil getting to 120c wasn't uncommon, water temp has been confusing since i fitted loads of stuff, seems to sit below 90 all the time, its more like 80

I would suggest if you did get one the maybe shroud it a little to make sure doesn't get too low. I know in mates motor even with cooler got temps up to 145 the blackberry runs normally between 100 and 110. Verity used to run really low even with out a cooler.

---------- Post added at 10:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

There's a oil temps thread that will have more info than I can supply worth a read of that mate

Consensus seems to be that much more than 16 rows at the full matrix width of 235mm is wasted as it will overcool the oil. Oilstats are failsafe and readily available (I bought Mocal own-brand, others are available) - for £15 it's well worth fitting one for peace of mind. If the wax element fails they default to running oil through the cooler rather than bypassing it. Default is 80ºC but I think they do others as well.

Stone

Right!

Got this off now..

Just need to order the oil cooler. I'm just awaiting for Merlin Motorsport to get back in touch regarding the centre thread bolt they supply (unsure whether its for use with or without the OE cooler).

I'm planning on going a 13x235mm cooler, thermostatic sandwhich plate, removing the OE cooler, fastening together the water hoses and mounting the cooler half behind the grill, half behind the bumper.

I am fully aware that oil coolers on a VR are prone to over cooling so want the best of both worlds :)

I'll try and do a 'how to' if time permits

Right!

Got this off now..

Just need to order the oil cooler. I'm just awaiting for Merlin Motorsport to get back in touch regarding the centre thread bolt they supply (unsure whether its for use with or without the OE cooler).

I'm planning on going a 13x235mm cooler, thermostatic sandwhich plate, removing the OE cooler, fastening together the water hoses and mounting the cooler half behind the grill, half behind the bumper.

I am fully aware that oil coolers on a VR are prone to over cooling so want the best of both worlds :)

I'll try and do a 'how to' if time permits

The Merlin one is for use with the oil/water cooler as I found out when I bought one, unless they do another one now.