P3rks

Topmounts - Upgrades?

My VAG VR6 topmounts have lasted a mere 3,000 miles. Well one of them has and the other isn't far behind.

I know it's a combination of my wafer thin tyres, hard suspension and Sheffiled's quite frankly horrifically pot holed roads.

I don't want to be changing them 2-3 times a year.. Are upgrades available?

I've found these: http://www.compbrake.com/cars/vw/golf-mk3/vw-golf-mk3-fixed-top-mounts-pair.html

Whats everyones thoughts or alternatives?

i also asked the same question about a month back but never got a single reply, so brand new oe top mounts will be fitted AGAIN this weekend.

i also asked the same question about a month back but never got a single reply, so brand new oe top mounts will be fitted AGAIN this weekend.

I know, I just don't want it to come to that..

My only concerns about those compbrake ones are that something else will just give.. Such as the strut tops. :brickwall:

when you say the mounts have gone again, I'm assuming you mean the bearing and not the rubber, I'd have thought aftermarket mountings may well have stiffer rubber and just increase your problems, can the mk4 bearings and rubbers not be fitted to the VR/mk3 suspension?

I've not checked the bearings..

They stick up loads out of the turret, like loads. and they have loads of flex in them too when I put weight on the front end.

I was also under the impression that the bearings are the same for the Mk4?

Edited by P3rks

I could get some poly ones made..... :)

Could be a shout. But then the issue will lay with the plastic bearing pooing it's pants.

I'm looking at solid topmounts because they should never poo them self and use a big 20mm+ bearing - a rose joint style one. They should last much much longer..

forgive me, but aren't you just trying to fix the symptoms?

if your suspension is too hard, your sidewalls too thin and your top mounts too unforgiving then you are just going to stress something else, I wouldn't be surprised if you suffered problems with wheel bearings or even bodyshell damage.

Fitting 'uprated' or stiffer parts is all well and good for smooth tracks but if your roads are too poor then it would make sense to fit more forgiving springs and dampers if you want to run large diameter wheels.

I don't think race style topmounts will last five minutes on rough road surfaces, no matter how big or what type the bearings are.

As David says, it's not the mount which is the problem, it's the ball race bearing. Poly makes no difference what so ever. In fact it would accelerate bearing wear as there's less 'give' in it. Uprated bearings for the VR6 simply don't exist.

If you are getting 3000 miles from OE TMs, then you'll get 1000 miles from those Comp Brake and MED mounts, if that. I have a set of the MED ones. Brilliant they are too as they provide an additional 1.5 deg Positive caster, but the bearings you'll be changing fortnightly. And they're proper expensive SKF ones.

Best TMs I've seen to date of that style are KW's clubsport TMs. £160 though. EACH. Plus VAT.

Since going back to 15s, my OE TMs are lasting very well. Well over 12K done since fitting the last set and still no play in the ball race.

I was seeing the same problem as the OP when I ran 17s with AP brakes and what not. The stresses all add up and the bearings take a beating. I've also swapped my daily B road journey to a smooth A road one that's recently been built, which has probably been the biggest factor in extending bearing life along with soggy 15" tyre sidewalls :D

Bonrath used to do some uprated VR mounts, but sadly it was only the 'rubber' bit that was uprated, not the bearing itself.

Yandards: You mean oem G60 ones?

Fishwick: Did anyone actually try out the very expensive KW topmounts?

Cheers,

Redfox.

Thanks for the responses guys.

Pretty much summed up everything. Uprating was a concern as I thought the stresses would just transfer to the next weekest link.

I know exactly which pot hole, well series of pot holes killed it. One of those where by the time you realise it's there you're already going over it and you're just a passenger for the ride, and there were 3 of them in a row. :(

OE top mounts and bearings it is then.

I think the G60 ones are unique, not the same as generic passat, corrado 16v/2.0 8v or small engine mk3 items, they're probably obselete too.

I think the G60 ones are unique, not the same as generic passat, corrado 16v/2.0 8v or small engine mk3 items, they're probably obselete too.

Yes, the G60 ones are unique. Last time I checked (a few months ago) I think the dealer said that they were obsolete from VW Germany, but I might remember wrongly... The aftermarket "OE" G60 ones are crap - the rubber on mine was destroyed / split after not too many weeks of (ab)use. Though the fact that my car is lowered and I'm running the Koni TA's on max setting might contribute quite a bit to that.. Never had any problems with the bearing itself on them though..

Yes, the G60 ones are unique. Last time I checked (a few months ago) I think the dealer said that they were obsolete from VW Germany, but I might remember wrongly... The aftermarket "OE" G60 ones are crap - the rubber on mine was destroyed / split after not too many weeks of (ab)use. Though the fact that my car is lowered and I'm running the Koni TA's on max setting might contribute quite a bit to that.. Never had any problems with the bearing itself on them though..

I agree, had 2 sets of aftermarket ones and the rubber went on one set and the bearings have play on both sets (standard springs and shocks too), I think I'm going to get the late spring top plates and change to the later style VR mountings, at least then the bearing and rubber is separate.