Lee Rees

Window problem, scary fix by last owner

Hi Guys,

My left side window is stuck up. If I press the up/down switch I can hear it trying to open but it doesn't move.

I decided to take the panel off and this is what I found.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56293[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56297[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]56301[/ATTACH]

As you can see by the screw, it looks like it's holding the window in place as it goes through the lifting arm. If I took the screw out does this mean the window would drop down hard and smash?

Can anybody think why the previous owner would do this? it seems like a very drastic measure. Obviously I want to fix this problem so any help into diagnosing it would be helpfull.

Perhaps one of the cables has broken! The motor still works,as you have observed by the noise you can hear !

The screw is just holding the window up,without it,it would probally drop,or just rattle !

A new/second hand unit is the order of the day !

Take out the screw first,and test,before you take my word for it !

Thanks for the reply, is the window particularly heavy, as in if I take the screw out will I be able to support the window. Obviously I don't want the window to just drop and smash.

It's not that heavy,if in doubt find something to wedge between window and the bottom of the door !

You shouldn't need to, it's more awkward then heavy !

ok guys I'm going to take the screw out and see what happens.

I've seen lots of mechs + motor kits on ebay for cheap, are they all universal in compatibility.

when i changed mine, i put the window all the way up, and used duct tape stuck to the window, over the top of door frame and then back down the other side of window, a few strips like that will hold it in place, although i'd keep an eye on it during repairs to make sure its not slowly coming unstuck

when i changed mine, i put the window all the way up, and used duct tape stuck to the window, over the top of door frame and then back down the other side of window, a few strips like that will hold it in place, although i'd keep an eye on it during repairs to make sure its not slowly coming unstuck

Thanks for the tip, an extra pair of hands will be on site to help aswell so I'm hoping this is going to be relatively easy. Although I'm quickly learning with cars that everything lives in hard to reach places!

---------- Post added at 12:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 PM ----------

Just one final question, if the motor is shot would the window fail to hold itself up?

Depends on the cables. If the motor is jammed and the cables are still all connected it will hold up, if one of the cables is broke, then it will probably just drop.

However you need to take it all off to replace so I would just get a kit and replace it, its a ball ache to do so realy you want to do it once and once only.