Sign in to follow this  
Linus Van Pelt

Power Steering...

As I understand it, we have variable power steering, that is the steering wheel is easier to turn at lower speeds and harder to turn at higher speeds.

Given that I have no clue as to how this actually works, does anyone know if it's possible for the 'variable' part of the power steering to fail?

The reason I ask, is that I'm still not happy with the steering of my car and I'm getting nowhere with the usual culprits.

I think that the 'easy to turn' level of power steering usually felt at 70 mph...

Anyone got any thoughts on whether this is possible?

Cheers,

DtM.

Try kicking the steering wheel angle up a notch, you might find it's the adjustable steering column...

i was not aware that there was any variability reletive to speed, I thought is was related to the strain exerted back onto the rack from the wheels not wanting to turn - if that makes sense. Therefore if you think that the steering is too light at higher speeds, this is could to be due to a a sticky or worn rack fooling the assistance into helping you out, or tyre pressure too high - I think the recomended pressures are actually too high.

any help?

I'd say it's most likely due to something else. I'm not really aware of any actual speed-sensitivity to the steering at all. AFAIK there's no physical or electrical link from anything that knows the road speed to the steering mechanism.

Cheers everyone... maybe I'm just clutching at straws, but there's nothing mechanically obvious wrong (I've had three different garages look at it). I can only guess it's something going on inside something somewhere... :?: My first thought was the steering rack itself, but apparently there's not much too them, so I'm still at a loss (and I don't have the pennies to put a new rack in, on the off chance it works...)

I'll try adjusting the steering wheel (thanks dr_mat) I hadn't thought of that one... failing that I guess it's back to the drawing board... :study: I don't know if it's relevant at all but this lightness of steering is intermittent which I guess could mean something is loose, but no one's found it yet :(

Thanks again!

DtM.

I'd say it's most likely due to something else. I'm not really aware of any actual speed-sensitivity to the steering at all. AFAIK there's no physical or electrical link from anything that knows the road speed to the steering mechanism

@ me or @duncanthemad?

Is that not what I said ??

BTW if there is any toe in, then your steering will feel light on straights, but will stiffen up the more you turn in. This lightness would perhaps show itself more on difference road surfaces or in different weather coditions.

Does your vagueness remain in corners?

Does your vagueness remain in corners?

Indeed... that's my real problem... it can be a bit scary when you're halfway round a fast bend and a wheel feels like it's about to come off :shock: :lol:

I'm so used to my C going round corners like it's on rails, that this intermittent uncertainty takes all my fun away. Sometimes it sticks, sometime's it doesn't, there's no real pattern that I can see...

If I had to guess again, I'd say it might be related to the amount of throttle... could a worn drive shaft joint (or something in this area) have this kind of effect?

DtM.

Would it be dependant on how bumpy the surface is?

Possibly...

...since I do the same 120+ mile round trip everyday, it's pretty clear that there are stretches of road where it will always do it, and others where it might...

I have noticed that bumps seem to have a larger effect on the steering (wheel) than I'm used to (hence my original, original, original idea (and explaination) of something being loose somwhere).

Warum?

DtM.

Have you had the alignement (proper 4 wheel alignement, not just tracking) checked? If the wheels arent pointing the way they should then bumps seem to have a larger effect on the steering and high speed stability seems worse.

Sounds a lot like I'm suffering from, and the current thinking is steering column bearings, and more specifically the adjustable steering column parts. It seems to be helped by jacking the wheel up a notch (i.e. make sure the top UJ is at an angle), probably because it's been set in the "straight through" position all it's life, and that's the position that's worn the most..

No doubt it's expensive...

Oh, by the way, I had *really* scary handling for a while, and that was found out to be very slightly loose wheel nuts, plus a completely unbalanced wheel, and a tyre at 45psi (I didn't put it like that!).

The tracking being out didn't help either...

Have you had the alignement (proper 4 wheel alignement, not just tracking) checked? If the wheels arent pointing the way they should then bumps seem to have a larger effect on the steering and high speed stability seems worse.

First thing I tried mate! :wink:

Sounds a lot like I'm suffering from, and the current thinking is steering column bearings, and more specifically the adjustable steering column parts. It seems to be helped by jacking the wheel up a notch (i.e. make sure the top UJ is at an angle), probably because it's been set in the "straight through" position all it's life, and that's the position that's worn the most..

No doubt it's expensive...

I'll give you an update tommorow then, I'll try changing the steering wheel position and see what effect that has...

[ECP says the "column" is £75.17+theft... they've listed springs/rings & bearings but whether that all includes the "adjustable" bit I've no idea...]

DtM.

I'll be interested to hear how you get on, and what you do to fix it if it *is* the steering column.

(£75 sounds too cheap for a complex casting like that for a VW though!!)

what tyres and pressure are you running?

Michelin Pilot Exalto's with standard pressures (38/33)... I've always stuck to manufacturers pressures.

(I used to run with Pirelli P6000's but whilst there grip is better than the Michelin, they wore out too quick)

DtM.

how did they wear? or cant you remember? what sort of wear patern is emerging on your current ones?

Appears to be the same on both, uniform wear, nothing out of the ordinary - although the fronts do go down at something like twice the speed of the rears (to be expected with drive & steering from the same wheels I think). The booties on at the mo are nearly new.

In the two and half years I've owned it, I've had a 4-wheel alignment done 5 times I think...

With the P's I noticed a major deterioration in grip when they got down to around 3-4 mm of tread and although the legal limit is 1.6 mm, I changed them well before this point.

I know I'm pretty rough on them since when conditions permit I drive erm, "enthusiastically"...

(don't we all :mrgreen:)

DtM.

My steering has got alot lighter since I fitted a new track rod (the old one had play in the ball loint), I thought it felt a bit funny at first but comparing it to the mk4 Golf I was using for work today, It feels spot on!

I assume VW's progressive steering system was fairly good when the Corrado came out and they havn't changed it much since 8)

dr_mat :notworthy: good call bud :lol:

I moved the steering up a notch and after getting over the initial 'weirdness' factor, it was clearly much, much better. I can feel the resistance in the steering wheel again and cornering is more or less spot on 8)

I probably didn't mention before, but I also used to get the wobbly wheel effect whilst under reasonably hard braking... that's gone now as well.

I guess we have two choices, fit a new column, or get someone to take the existing one apart and replace the bit(s) that are worn.

P.S. where do I send the :drinking: voucher? :wink:

DtM.

Send it to Kev, not me.. He put me onto that one, tho I'd been steadily coming to the same conclusion... :-\

Yes - the question is - what next?

Until I have a better idea about what's involved (parts and labour) for repairing/replacing, I'm just living with the weirdness factor.. Too many repairs coming in in a very short time - timing chains, shocks and Shrek all in one month? No more, thanks!

Indeed... I have car tax this month and servicing probably the month after (not to mention I still need to get my new bumper sprayed/fitted and change the throttle cable), but I do know some very nice mechanics that I can speak to that might 'take a look' without actually charging anything... obviously if I do find anything out I'll let you know...

DtM.